Considering buying a Leon mk 3 estate.

Sam Wainwright

Feb 26, 2020
Leeds
Hi Everyone. Hope you are all keeping well in these very strange times. So after a quiet few weeks and a few test drives I have finally put a deposit down for a Leon ST! In the end I went for A black 2.0TDI FR150.

I test drove the 1.4tsi which seemed like a great little engine and surprisingly quick but with a possible relocation and a longer commute to work I decided to go for the diesel in the end for the extra fuel economy.

It's a 2017 ex fleet car but only on 27k and with 1 years warranty left. 2 seat dealer stamps in the book and absolutely immaculate. I managed to get a good part exchange for my Volvo meaning I've got the Seat overall for £8k taking that into account. Very happy indeed and can't wait to pick up the keys (Corona virus lock down permitting) later this week.

Thanks for all the tips and looking forward to becoming a SEAT owner!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200323-104041.png
    Screenshot_20200323-104041.png
    991.5 KB · Views: 134

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I managed to get a good part exchange for my Volvo meaning I've got the Seat overall for £8k taking that into account. Very happy indeed and can't wait to pick up the keys (Corona virus lock down permitting) later this week.

Which Volvo are u part exchanging?

Sam Wainwright

Feb 26, 2020
Leeds
I went from Seat Leon (my first car) 2.0TDI to 1.0TSI Seat Ibiza Mk5 Facelift, to now Volvo 2018 V40 1.5T. Powerwise, Seat Leon was awesome, comfort (and lack of rattles) V40 is best. No experience with V50, but I used to drive my dad's Volvo 850, that was like a tractor, but built like a tank.

Sam Wainwright

Feb 26, 2020
Leeds
I went from Seat Leon (my first car) 2.0TDI to 1.0TSI Seat Ibiza Mk5 Facelift, to now Volvo 2018 V40 1.5T. Powerwise, Seat Leon was awesome, comfort (and lack of rattles) V40 is best. No experience with V50, but I used to drive my dad's Volvo 850, that was like a tractor, but built like a tank.

I always like the look of the v40 but just needed something a bit bigger. The v50 is a nice car, very comfortable and solid feel to it but I made the mistake of buying the rubbish 1.6 diesel Peugeot Citroen engine which, no exaggeration has had something new go wrong with it every month since last August. My parents had an 850 for years until my mum had a head in collision on an icy country road. She was uninjured and reckons the car saved her life. Rock solid car.

Sam Wainwright

Feb 26, 2020
Leeds
Morning all. Hope everyone is keeping well and not got cabin fever yet. Since my last post, I had a phone call from the dealer asking if I could get to them within the hour to pick up my Leon as they would be closed until further notice after that and the sales.manager had 11 cars to get our to customers! Long story short I made it in time and am now a week into my ownership and I love it. Obviously I have not been able to drive it much other than the odd essential trip to shops but it feels very well put together and powerful. Also returned 55mpg average on the drive back from the dealer in Wakefield to mine in North Leeds.

So far, my only niggle so far is every time I put the car in reverse, the left hand mirror tilts down almost to the floor. Seems like weird and slightly dangerous feature, I nearly reversed into a lamp post yesterday because of it! Anyone have any idea how to turn this off/ if it's an electrical glitch? I can't find anything obvious in the cars settings?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Morning all. Hope everyone is keeping well and not got cabin fever yet. Since my last post, I had a phone call from the dealer asking if I could get to them within the hour to pick up my Leon as they would be closed until further notice after that and the sales.manager had 11 cars to get our to customers! Long story short I made it in time and am now a week into my ownership and I love it. Obviously I have not been able to drive it much other than the odd essential trip to shops but it feels very well put together and powerful. Also returned 55mpg average on the drive back from the dealer in Wakefield to mine in North Leeds.

So far, my only niggle so far is every time I put the car in reverse, the left hand mirror tilts down almost to the floor. Seems like weird and slightly dangerous feature, I nearly reversed into a lamp post yesterday because of it! Anyone have any idea how to turn this off/ if it's an electrical glitch? I can't find anything obvious in the cars settings?

If you don't want the reversing tilt option just turn the mirror knob to the right hand mirror.
You can adjust the amount of tilt when reversing - something like; put it in reverse and have the knob pointed to the left hand mirror - then adjust for reversing to see the curb.
If you want heated mirrors - there's a heated mirror position at the back of the mirror adjust knob - took me a few months to find as I can't see it from my driving position! All my other cars have had a separate heated mirrors button.

Stay safe,
Tom.

Reactions: Tivver500

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I always like the look of the v40 but just needed something a bit bigger. The v50 is a nice car, very comfortable and solid feel to it but I made the mistake of buying the rubbish 1.6 diesel Peugeot Citroen engine which, no exaggeration has had something new go wrong with it every month since last August. My parents had an 850 for years until my mum had a head in collision on an icy country road. She was uninjured and reckons the car saved her life. Rock solid car.

That's interesting to know about the V50 - I nearly brought the 1.6 eco one - looked quite nice and probably well screwed together but very slow compared to the 2.0 TDI and not much/if any more efficient which is also £30 tax, and much smaller boot. Also expensive for one with reasonable miles.
I'm very happy with my Leon ST, at first I though the steering was a bit numb - but sport steering setting really helped.

Tom.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
Hi Everyone. Hope you are all keeping well in these very strange times. So after a quiet few weeks and a few test drives I have finally put a deposit down for a Leon ST! In the end I went for A black 2.0TDI FR150.

I test drove the 1.4tsi which seemed like a great little engine and surprisingly quick but with a possible relocation and a longer commute to work I decided to go for the diesel in the end for the extra fuel economy.

It's a 2017 ex fleet car but only on 27k and with 1 years warranty left. 2 seat dealer stamps in the book and absolutely immaculate. I managed to get a good part exchange for my Volvo meaning I've got the Seat overall for £8k taking that into account. Very happy indeed and can't wait to pick up the keys (Corona virus lock down permitting) later this week.

Hi mate, im similar to you. Just bought a leon st 184 fr few days ago.
Really enjoying car, however finding theres more road noise than i expected??

How you finding yours?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK

Sam Wainwright

Feb 26, 2020
Leeds
Hi mate, im similar to you. Just bought a leon st 184 fr few days ago.
Really enjoying car, however finding theres more road noise than i expected??

How you finding yours?

Really enjoying mine too. I got a decent stint on the M1 driving it home from the dealer and didn't notice any excessive road noise. If anything I was impressed by how calm it felt as it's definitely quieter than my old Volvo V50 Rdesign. I'm not sure of the brand of tyres on mine but as Brian says I'm sure it probably makes a difference.

Reactions: the stripler

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Really enjoying mine too. I got a decent stint on the M1 driving it home from the dealer and didn't notice any excessive road noise. If anything I was impressed by how calm it felt as it's definitely quieter than my old Volvo V50 Rdesign. I'm not sure of the brand of tyres on mine but as Brian says I'm sure it probably makes a difference.

Sam - let us know what tyres you've got.

As you have the TDI, it can be quite helpful to monitor the DPF soot levels. Doing all of these short runs at the moment is making mine fill up quite quickly. The Carista dongle and VAG DPF are really useful things to have. Also nice to know when it's due so you can give it a decent run.

Sam Wainwright

Feb 26, 2020
Leeds
Sam - let us know what tyres you've got.

As you have the TDI, it can be quite helpful to monitor the DPF soot levels. Doing all of these short runs at the moment is making mine fill up quite quickly. The Carista dongle and VAG DPF are really useful things to have. Also nice to know when it's due so you can give it a decent run.

I just checked and mine has Bridgestone tyres all round, with tonnes of tread left too . Agreed I am very keen to avoid dpf issues after my experience with the Volvo which had obviously been used for pottering around on short journeys. My other halfs car is a petrol Mazda 2 so I tend to use that for shorter local runs etc. I will see how I get on but definitely will look into getting the app. I'm pretty sure it did a regen on the way home from the dealership as when I stopped the engine fan seemed to be running very hard and I noticed the instant MPG readings had dropped a bit too. Will keep an eye on it.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Do treat the TDI to perhaps 2 tank full of Shell/Esso's most expensive diesel. It should clean up the engine nicely (like descaling a kettle), whenever we all can get the chance to go out again. You may find mpg increasing a bit, or maybe not. I know for sure, switching from supermarket diesel to Shell VPower Diesel gave my flatmate 1.5 days more of commuting to and from work (20 mile round trip a day) on a Clio diesel.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.