MY20 300 ST - Exhaust?

JWhitton1

Feb 16, 2020
Hi all
Looking for some advice and recommendations on what I can do cheaply to the exhaust to help give it some much needed noise, pops, bangs, farts etc.

Was looking at a res delete but cant do that on the MY20 due to the different exhaust (GPF, If I'm right?)

What can I do to it without having to spend more than, say, £400. Ideally it would be a Miltek job or similar but I don't want to spend that kind of cash on a car that I wont own. (Lease car)

If it involves cutting open and modding the back box, I need to know how easily (and cheaply) I can get the back boxes so it can be returned to stock when I need to give the car back (and for the 3 year MOT)

I have searched and searched but I may aswell go back in time and search using AskJeeves.com as I'm not that sure what I need to search for

Thanks all

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
For £400 you could likely get a custom exhaust shop to make you a system with just a resonator (for the drone) and no back boxes at all.

However having seen the inside of the boxes and if you’re happy with the standard tips, I’d cut it open and see if you can do what someone else has done with making it louder. Just check how much louder.

So long as it’s only a little louder, I wouldn’t worry about putting it back to stock, they’ll likely not know how loud it was as standard.

JWhitton1

Feb 16, 2020
Thanks for the reply Damo.

Would that cause issues with emissions come MOT time?

I'm happy with the standard tips tbh so was thinking of just getting two new back boxes to cut open, then change it back to standard when I return the car as they will see that it has been cut

And do the back boxes just clamp on or are they welded?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I'm sure for less than £400 you could get a custom back box setup that you can swap back to stock - I know Pipewerx quoted me £400 for a custom backbox on my 2016 290 and then King Custom Performance quoted me £320 for a custom backbox with 2 small resonators and new tips.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
The silencers have no effect on emissions, only noise. The emissions are all taken care of in the cat & GPF.

So far as noise goes, I'm not sure the MOT testing stations have any sophisticated measuring equipment. So long as the exhaust wasn't obscenely noisy, it would probably pass.

Reactions: Damo H

JWhitton1

Feb 16, 2020
The silencers have no effect on emissions, only noise. The emissions are all taken care of in the cat & GPF.

So far as noise goes, I'm not sure the MOT testing stations have any sophisticated measuring equipment. So long as the exhaust wasn't obscenely noisy, it would probably pass.

That's good then.

I dont want anything too loud, just something subtle. Then when I give it the beans it let's off a pop bang pop pop pop pop haha

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks for the reply Damo.

I'm happy with the standard tips tbh so was thinking of just getting two new back boxes to cut open, then change it back to standard when I return the car as they will see that it has been cut

And do the back boxes just clamp on or are they welded?

What @CupraGeezer said :)