Extended MOT rules due to virus

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Saw that a short time ago, glad since my Honda is due early April and I had it booked in for tomorrow only to be told yesterday that the garage was closing today, not clear if those of us affected have a straight 6 months extension or if it needs to be done when things return to normal, I’m sure all will be revealed in due course, as and when the t s are crossed and the i s dotted on the legislation.

On another note, insurance renewal came in, plenty of time but a quick check on meerkats shows up identical new policy almost £30 cheaper, not surprised but unable to contact insurer to moan and get it sorted.

Edit. After holding for ages I got through and was in the last stages of getting the premium lowered to the new quote..... phone went dead-cut off, repeat and this time success, it took about an hour though! Ah well, stuck in the house nothing else to do, courier 5 minutes away with Majestic wine order so ok for a couple more.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
When I looked up my son's car, which is due in a few weeks, it is still showing the original due date. Are they only adding the six months on once the car reaches the due date? At what point do they stop giving you the extra time? What if your MOT is due in December?!

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I think they will update as the date approaches, some people may be still able to get an MOT done and not need the extension?

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
My wife's Hyundai was due to expire on the 30th March, managed to get it into the dealer on Monday for service and MOT...and passed. Told yesterday by my wife's doctor she now has to stay in for 3 months! And me too. :banghead:

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Mines due in July so does the 6 months add on to that so have I got until
January next year haha???

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
6 months start from your expiry date....mine expires in May therefore will now be due in November

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Car MOT is due on 8th August, i hope i miss out on the extension to be honest, that will mean we're allowed outside! :harhar:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Mine is due in a fortnight on the toy, although places are open many are dealing only regular customers and restricted staff/hours so getting a booking is problematical, I’ll settle for the extension until it returns to normal, just insured it but have sorn’d it yesterday, we’ll use the Seat (£20 a year) and use the £46ish a month saved for other things when the restrictions are lifted.
All this cheap fuel and no use for it.:censored:

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
Guy at works car was just extended for 6 months. Even he admits it would never pass the MOT this year

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I don’t think it’s intended for these cases, per the info you are expected to keep it in a roadworthy condition, how it will be policed I don’t know though.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I don’t think it’s intended for these cases, per the info you are expected to keep it in a roadworthy condition, how it will be policed I don’t know though.
That's always been the case. Having an MOT certificate is no excuse for having an unroadworthy car.

In some areas, police are doing more traffic stops so (per journey), there may be more chance of getting stopped than normal. Once a driver has been stopped, its up to luck/fate as to what the copper decides to look at. Get caught with bald tyres etc, expect a ticket.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
That's all very well but what if you need your car to get to work, you know you need tyres but all the garages are shut?
Not sure many of the tyre fitters are closed. Kwik Fit's website says that they're open and their mobile fitters are working.

Reactions: Bedlam
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.