Remote battery CR2025 / CR2032 Replacement

Tell

Staff member
ODBEleven reported that both keys were getting problematic on the error check.

B147918 - Remote key 1 Voltage too low
static
B147A18 - Remote key 2 Voltage too low
static

I didn't get a screen warning thou. Had the car since November 2016, built in September so judged the time was right. It has Kessy which taxes the battery more. It had been playing up.

The manual doesn't say which battery to use. Seat parts online say CR2025. Checked my spares, had
CR2025 with no date on the packet, it was dead. CR2032 with two years to go. Wondered what the difference was.

There are some YouTube videos. The first is good showing the action to open it up. A CR2025 battery fitted:

The second video shows a CR2032 in it but slightly different remote to mine:

The Briskoda thread covers upgrading to a CR2032 from a CR2025:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/382112-change-key-battery/

They have 50 percent more capacity. The 7 number different is the thickness for more battery. Voltage is the same.

Taking apart the unit the first video is the one to use with the screwdriver to leaver off the case. A bradel can be used to ping the battery out of the slot. The back of the case lid does say CR2025 on it. Briskoda page says the case holds the battery in with a CR2032 - true. The Orville tip on that thread followed by others. I didn't press the battery down hard to get it below the the holding pin but used the case holding mothod. You can use the bradel to poke the battery down as you close the case if it keeps popping up.

Note the waterproof seal might not come down all the way before I get told this ;). Was the summer months when it started to play up so not a voltage drop introduced by winter months.

So fitting the more heavy duty battery in is a hack and obvious question is whether it might pop the case - We'll see. It does work thou. One warning is swap the battery in and out quick since they are suppose to loose the settings. The original was a Panasonic, replaced it with a Panasonic again, Duracells may be better.

Footnote. When closing the case using the CR2032 in place of a CR2025 care needs to be taken to make sure the battery is seated. Use a bradel to adjust before clipping down. Damaging the battery via denting the battery case can reduced the life of the battery. Had one instance of that in 2022.

In 2022 the car also started to display a low fod key warning on the dash. Assume this was a software update the dealer put in at some point to these early Ateca which traditionally do not warn of a low for fod battery.

Last edited:

kevlar

Oct 23, 2018
Had my ateca serviced and they told me about the battery, I had no warning at all either on the display.

Tell

Staff member
I'm thinking they left the warning message out of the programming. Been fine now after the battery change. I thought it was my new bag with the tablet blocking the Kessy but when the second key played up as well in my rucksack decided I'd action the Obdeleven advice.

Tell

Staff member
Note

The Arona does give you a warning message and indeed it's fitted with the CR2032 battery as standard. It could be that this newer key is being rolled out to Ateca's, in this case the tight fit clip on cover trick isn't required in the upgrade to CR2032.

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
Tbh I went through about 3 battery’s on one fob within about 1 month. I kept taking them back to Halfords who where happy to exchange. This 4th one touch wood has been fine now for nearly 12 months. I would say always buy from a shop not online .

Tell

Staff member
The ones I put in 2018 have been fine, Panasonic (got three left now, dated to end in 2020). Can't remember where I got them from. They had lasted from 2016 in the car, replaced both. This is the 2032 tight fit solution with 50% more power.

The Arona one had done 15 months and that was 2032... not sure whether these remotes are used on Ateca's these days or whether they are on the 2025. That car gives you an error message to change. That battery was showing 3v. New 3.3v. The Skoda thread mused that the trigger to report an message is on volts. On 2016 Ateca atleast it keeps quite about reporting a message but records it on VCDS.

Now we are locked down might run an Obdeleven diagnosistic check :). It did refuse to open the other day.

Reactions: hamst

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Speaking about the battery, i had an alert yesterday on the screen, the alert only popped when i tried to press the lock button while the car is running.

I turned off the car and re-run it, no alert. I pressed a button again and here goes the alert. So I assumed that the battery is low and ill change it.

Tell

Staff member
The Arona showed a low battery warning, 2017 Ateca doesn't... anyhow the 2032 battery is still going strong. I ran OBDEleven and no warning this week. Bought a packet of Duracells in this size as spares. One spare which will be out of date by the time it's required. Ash's point above, I think Amazon Prime is fine but the others can be problematic on Amazon, old stock with shorter use by dates.

Last edited:

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
I put in a 2032 and got problems with the key being recognised as present. When I swapped it back for a 2025 everything worked as expected. I suspect the extra thickness was the cause since the voltages were the same. Goodness knows why as I double checked.

It came with a 2025 but I thought I would get extra life out of the thicker one.

Tell

Staff member
The old Skoda trick does work. It could be that the power level was a bit on the high side may be ?. Sometimes when you put brand new batteries into electronic things they don't work if the power is a bit high. Was this a new batteries or old. VCDS scan would be useful since it tells you what the issue is.

The old Skoda fix for Kessy with this remote control has worked for nearly two years with my Ateca. Used some Panasonic ones I had to hand. I've got Duracell lined up when they give way.

Last edited:

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
The batteries were the same voltage and since the current draw is the same, the power consumption was the same. Both were brand new batteries. It confused the hell out of me but I had the same effect on both fobs.

I suspect the larger battery could have some kind of blocking effect on detection of the fob, giving key not detected.

Tell

Staff member
Hmmm the partner's 2018 Arona Ecellence Lux takes 2032, that was what was in that, so a 2025 would rattle about and wouldn't connect. Ateca 2016 remotes take 2025 and the upgrade is to wedge a 2032 in them. What I don't know is whether newer Ateca's moved over to newer remotes which are designed for 2032 batteries.

If however it is as you say... watts = volts × amps

Those bigger batteries fully charged may still be pushing too much power out in amp terms... long time since I did O'level physics :eek:. The circuit may still not like that.

Panasonic was what I fitted.

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
I have an April 18 Arona from new and this is the first battery change. The current draw is determined by the resistance of the circuit load and this is unchanged. The battery capacity (size) determines how long the current draws for.

The problem is the receiver not receiving enough signal to say the fob is present. This could be because the transmission power (signal) is low because of insufficient voltage/current or the signal is being attenuated by something. I don't know whether the fob transmits infra red or radio. A larger battery case might affect radio but not infra red.

I tried several new 2032s and they were all useless. It works so if the knowledge is helpful then good, but I doubt anyone cares why heheh :).

Tell

Staff member
Radio. The Ateca has a Kessy receiver aerial both sides of the car and one at the back for rear sensing. The left / right side can power down after a period of non use with the passenger side turning itself off. You then have to walk to the drivers side. That's suppose to kick in to preserve the car battery. That does happen after a few days least for me. It's a battery saving feature.

I have to be careful how I place the key in the bag and which way I wear it. Shoulder bag. Basically the key has to be on the outside of the bag and not by my body which means it passes through stuff in the bag like the tablet before the car sees it. Have it in a zip pocket inside but on the back, back warn out, front to me... took a time to get that sorted :love:. I never touch the key apart from handing it over once a year for service.

It was when it started to play up more I did the Obdeleven scan and found the batteries were low. The 2016 Ateca doesn't give you a warning on the dash, the Arona least 2019 does (January 2019 delivered Xcellence Lux with the newer remote with the heavy duty 2032 battery designed to fit).

That's when I found the Skoda thread on putting in the thicker battery. It just has more capacity as they explained. Kessy being more hungry on battery than your normal remote control.

Strange it didn't work for you. As you say or don't may be it needs rotating 180' so the buttons are over the other way if it's the thicker battery that is blocking the signal. Mind you it could be too healthy 2032s was the issue.

Ps in the Ateca you have the luxury of the Kessy on both sides of the car where on the Arona to save money they only put it on the drivers door.

Edit. 2 years later now changed to Duracell with the 2032 batteries on the Ateca. Also did the Arona. I had used earlier in the year 'use by Aug 2020" batteries. Didn't get much beyond August !.

Go back to my Watt = Volt x Amps

Although fitting the last Aug 2020 battery in Oct measured 3.30 volts "new" it wouldn't light the remote LED or make Kessy work. Certainly it wasn't shifting the amps. Lesson manky batteries shouldn't be used. The Duracells have 10 year use by dates on them. Next post 2022 :).

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.