'16 Leon weird button under dash

agentman

Mar 13, 2020
Hi all

So recently I stumbled upon this little button under the dash from the driver's side. Tried pressing it and didn't notice anything. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200404_165307.jpg
    20200404_165307.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 241

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
That’ll be from a previous owner. Have you followed where the wire goes too? May of been left over from a dash cam or a garage door or gate opener.

agentman

Mar 13, 2020
Thanks for your input Damo.

Haven't traced it yet. Wanted to ask on the forum first. Will check where it goes a bit later.

agentman

Mar 13, 2020
Found a button, no idea what it did, pressed it anyway! ;0)

Yeah..couldn't really help it. No warning lights came on, the engine didn't blow up, birds didn't take a dump on the car and police nor firefighters arrived..

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Thanks for your input Damo.

Haven't traced it yet. Wanted to ask on the forum first. Will check where it goes a bit later.
Did you find where the wires went...I’m intrigued now...doesn’t sound like it was an ejector seat, missile launcher, smoke screen or invisibility cloaking but do let us know!

agentman

Mar 13, 2020
Did you find where the wires went...I’m intrigued now...doesn’t sound like it was an ejector seat, missile launcher, smoke screen or invisibility cloaking but do let us know!

I did! Apparently the black-white wire goes into this little grey "Can 500" box. Something to do with the car's alarm system? Hopefully the little button isn't for turning off the alarm system
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200406_174535.jpg
    20200406_174535.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • 20200406_175241.jpg
    20200406_175241.jpg
    951.2 KB · Views: 108

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Ooo interesting...not seen one of those before...although the link is foreign (and I can’t read most of it) it looks as though it can connect to recording hardware.

Might have been an upgraded alarm system...maybe with remote start?

I’d try to work out if it is actually connected/functioning alongside/in lieu of the factory alarm.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Just translated the Estonian language from the website and it mentions “(basic functions can also be changed from the service switch)” so guessing that’s what the switch is?

It does seem to be an aftermarket alarm...didn’t yours come with one...or previous owner was being doubly secure.

agentman

Mar 13, 2020
Dug around a bit and found some kind of a manual:
"To Enter test mode: 1. Switch off the ignition 2. Switch on the ignition 3. Press and hold the programming switch 4. After about 10 seconds, 1 signal sounds. Then release the button. Now the alarm is in the first stage of service mode - reading and deleting alarm cycles"

According to this, the button could be used for checking alarm history..anyway I will give that company a call tomorrow in hopes that they will be able to explain this..

agentman

Mar 13, 2020
Got confirmation today. Exactly as I thought. It's a servicing button for an aftermarket alarm system. The button lets you check alarm history, test various sensors. Button can also be used to disable the alarm system ( special pin code ) in case the main key battery runs out.

Reactions: GeoffGeoff
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.