Considering converting my 1.4 leon into a 2.0 cupra by installing the 2.0 system is it doable?

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
I currently own the 1.4 tsi leon and thinking about ordering maybe a front half from a cupra and putting all the internals in my car then put my 1.4 internals in the half and sell it so that I can try to save as much money as possible while also getting to experience the 2.0 engine . My question is do you know roughly how much it costs to get the whole cupra setup and if so can someone tell me any websites that I can look in to find those parts preferably used ones to bring down the cost

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Surely it would be easier just to sell your current car & buy a Cupra. Probably cheaper as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
Would it be cheaper to buy it directly? The problem is the availability I think the dealership in Egypt only bought 6 and to buy one I would need 16k$ on top of selling my car to afford one so I thought converting mine would save me money maybe converting it for about 5k$ ?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
You will be looking at c.£4.5k (c.$5.5k) for a used 300 ps engine alone, using those on eBay as a guide.

Add in running gear (gearbox, suspension, brakes, diff, wheels/tyres), looms, control units, body work and you will be easily exceeding $16k!

Reactions: Mohamed emarah

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
You will be looking at c.£4.5k (c.$5.5k) for a used 300 ps engine alone, using those on eBay as a guide.

Add in running gear (gearbox, suspension, brakes, diff, wheels/tyres), looms, control units, body work and you will be easily exceeding $16k!

...and an enormous engineering task as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Mohamed emarah; in the UK, most insurance companies would be likely to charge a significant Insurance premium (If indeed they were prepared to provide cover) to anyone who converted a 1.4 Leon into a 2.0 Cupra. Some insurers would refuse to provide cover on what they’re likely to consider to be a heavily modified car.

It would be worth speaking to your insurance company and other insurance companies before embarking on such a project to make sure a) you can get insurance cover and b) the cost is affordable.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Would it be cheaper to buy it directly? The problem is the availability I think the dealership in Egypt only bought 6 and to buy one I would need 16k$ on top of selling my car to afford one?
I've no idea on the legal restrictions in place in Egypt but there are lots of secondhand Cupras available throughout Europe. Would it not be possible to buy one of these and import it?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What else would need doing once that’s shoved onto a 1.4? Surely to reach the 240hp mark you’d need a good tune and some stronger internals
Internals would most probably be okay, i don't know much about the 1.4 tsi so would have to look in to it.

You are going to need supporting mods
bigger intercooler
uprated clutch / possibly flywheel
bigger brakes
exhaust
intake
suspension mods

Still alot cheaper than engine transplant

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
A massive waste of time and money. Much easier to import a cupra if you can’t find one in Egypt.

Having said all that, if you do end up doing the engine swap, please post a build diary of it. It would be interesting to see!

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Internals would most probably be okay, i don't know much about the 1.4 tsi so would have to look in to it.

bigger intercooler
bigger brakes
exhaust
intake
suspension mods

Mine is the 7 speed DSG so clutch upgrade isn’t an option. Apparently they’re available for the box I have but they’re over £1k

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Why not buy a Cupra and transplant the FR interior and bumpers? That would be a much easier way to get a car that will be hard to insure and impossible to sell.

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
I've no idea on the legal restrictions in place in Egypt but there are lots of secondhand Cupras available throughout Europe. Would it not be possible to buy one of these and import it?
That would definitely be much easier but if I import a cupra and they register it as working car I would be subjected to very high customs that's why I was trying to buy the parts separately to avoid paying insane customs.

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
why not just modify the 1.4 bang a bigger / hybrid turbo on it

https://www.r-tmg.com/turbo-ea211rs.html
That sounds interesting

bigger intercooler
bigger brakes
exhaust
intake
suspension mods

That sounds interesting these upgrades look doable and most of them are not expensive to my knowledge. If you have any more info or ideas in mind I would highly appreciate you sharing them :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise