Launch control

Andy305

Feb 23, 2020
How do you launch the cupra? Not that I am really fussed about doing this in all honesty but now I've got some time to go round and really learn the car I'm not aware of how to do it. In my understanding you press the button on console to reduce the ESC or something along those lines! But the car into cupra mode select drive and foot on the brake? I've done this and nothing happened! What are the steps? Thanks

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Only launched 3-4 times but from memory:

ESC off or sport. Gearbox in S. Left foot hard on the brake padel. Right foot hard on the acc. Let go of brake and of you go. Lovely sensation.

Last edited:

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Don't expect anything to come up on the dash or anything saying launch active, its just ESC off, gearbox in S left foot brake right fit throttle and lift off the brake

B9MYO

Apr 9, 2020
Only done my a couple of times as I've just got it, pretty simple really.

ESC off
DSG into sport (or use Cupra/Sport mode)
Left foot on brake
Right foot on accelerator
Foot off brake and go!

Mine comes up saying launch control active but you don't always get a notification.

Be aware it'll only let you do it fully when the car is up to running temperature.

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
I'm assuming usage has increased wear on the engine? Every now and again should be fine but I'm assuming constant use isn't too healthy?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
It puts alot of load on the clutch, but if seat thought it was damaging they wouldn't fit it as a feature, and seeming as the clutch is a wearable part it wouldn't be covered under warrenty anyways, there was talk on the RS forums that the ecu did a count everytime you used launch and after so many warrenty was void, but there is no hard proof of it, I've used it dozens of times in my s4 and it still runs like new

Reactions: Oliver Pawley

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Don't expect anything to come up on the dash or anything saying launch active, its just ESC off, gearbox in S left foot brake right fit throttle and lift off the brake
On the MY19 it does say launch active and you get a great sound from the exhaust as the revs hit 3 or 4k (can't remember)

As mine is the fwd drive version though that's as far as I go. I don't actually launch it.

It's a cool little party trick though on the 4xdrive VAGs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oliver Pawley

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
On the MY19 it does say launch active and you get a great sound from the exhaust as the revs hit 3 or 4k (can't remember)

As mine is the fwd drive version though that's as far as I go. I don't actually launch it.

It's a cool little party trick though on the 4xdrive VAGs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Exactly what I've done, put it in Just for the sounds but never launched

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
It puts alot of load on the clutch, but if seat thought it was damaging they wouldn't fit it as a feature, and seeming as the clutch is a wearable part it wouldn't be covered under warrenty anyways, there was talk on the RS forums that the ecu did a count everytime you used launch and after so many warrenty was void, but there is no hard proof of it, I've used it dozens of times in my s4 and it still runs like new
I have friendz with 100+ launches and no problem

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Tried out launch control on my new FWD 290 the other day.

On a relatively fresh road surface it launched with hardly and issue, minor wheel spin.

Second time on a different road, launched with no traction issues, pulled really well.

Third time on a well used road, felt like a jack hammer was under the bonnet. Never experienced so much wheel hop before.

On the right road surface the FWD hatch can launch just fine.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Tried out launch control on my new FWD 290 the other day.

On a relatively fresh road surface it launched with hardly and issue, minor wheel spin.

Second time on a different road, launched with no traction issues, pulled really well.

Third time on a well used road, felt like a jack hammer was under the bonnet. Never experienced so much wheel hop before.

On the right road surface the FWD hatch can launch just fine.
What tyres did it come with as PS4S 's are the ones to have

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
What tyres did it come with as PS4S 's are the ones to have

You know what, I haven't actually checked! I'm assuming it came with Conti's. So far I've been pleasantly surprised by them, I was expecting them to be awful, but they've been ok so far.

I had planned to get a set of PS4s's soon after delivery, but had to put that on hold with the lockdown.

I'll get some eventually though.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
There is also the GY Supersports, which is the direct rival to Mic PS4S, one person on the forum who has tried both, prefered the GY, cheaper too! Here's a review of both head 2 head;

Reactions: jack rush

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Since having the powerflex hybrid bush installed on mine, it launches with no wheelhop at all. Wheel spin though, there's loads of that

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fluffy01016

1.21 Gigawatt !!
Feb 20, 2005
Lincoln
Used for the first time today. Was surprised at how well it gripped and launched, even with the 4Drive. Certainly felt like the claimed 4.6s 0-60 time

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Used for the first time today. Was surprised at how well it gripped and launched, even with the 4Drive. Certainly felt like the claimed 4.6s 0-60 time

I think the claimed stock time is 4.9s for the ST 4Drive which it will do no problem with LC, probably faster than that if grip is good.