How long do the rubber bushes last?

Dominic

Jun 1, 2019
Harlow
Morning folks,

I know every car is different and some are harsher than others but is there an average time that bushes wear out or go past their best with Leons?
I've got a 2016 Leon Fr 184ps DSG on 70k and I do a lot of town driving as well as motorway schelps.

From past experience some bushes go soft some go hard, some crack and it doesn't always result in knocking (although I think there may be a knock from the rear).

Basically I want to upgrade the suspension and I figure starting with the bushes is a good call, I just need to be able to justify it to myself.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I don't think there's really an average time. I think it depends on a number of factors. I've changed control arm bushes at 100k on one side and they were fine on the other side (but still did it anyway). I don't have personal experience. I've Polybushed the entire car and it wasn't pleasant. So next time I was going to try a brand called Nolathane which is supposed to be somewhere inbetween rubber and poly. Might be worth looking into to keep some comfort with upgraded durability.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If you have a Leon which doesn't knock at the back you can't have a Leon!

We have a 70K SE ST and there are no problems with the suspension. Apart from the factory fitted speed-bump knock. You should be ok a while yet.

Reactions: nick.buchan2

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
As above - they do seem to knock a bit anyway. I've got a 2014 FR ST 184 @99000 miles and it's not that bad.

Got some bad knocking 4 months ago and turned out the shocks were knackered (known issue). Got those replaced and it's been a lot better.

No idea on bushes - mine are apparently fine in terms of a visual inspection so not going to mess with them!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members