Seat Leon 1.8TSI FR SC

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Hi,

I recently purchased a '14 plate 3 dr Leon which unfortunately due to bad timing I am now not having delivered to much later than I originally thought. I'm not too bothered as, like most people, I've got nowhere to go in it.

I was wondering though for when I do eventually take delivery of it if anyone would know anywhere near Wrexham/Chester that they could recommend for remapping?

I haven't much experience of doing such, outside of a bit of homework on the internet, so any help or advice on such would be appreciated too.

I've noticed chips you can buy and plug in yourself (racechip.co.uk?) are they any good or are they to be avoided?

Thanks in advance.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
I've always thought they're overpriced so was hoping someone could recommend somewhere else locally.

I did however have a quick look and all the options are ghosted unless I select "only show parts that fit my vehicle" but then it just shows 0 of 0 match your criteria. So pretty fruitless anyway unfortunately.

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
Unicorn developments in Stockport come highly recommended,took me 45 mins from Holywell so should take you a bit less.
It sometimes pays to travel a bit further for a more experienced tuner.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Unicorn developments in Stockport come highly recommended,took me 45 mins from Holywell so should take you a bit less.
It sometimes pays to travel a bit further for a more experienced tuner.
Thanks! I've just had a quick look on their website and it only seems to suggests they do Cupras. I'll contact them maybe.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi,

I recently purchased a '14 plate 3 dr Leon which unfortunately due to bad timing I am now not having delivered to much later than I originally thought. I'm not too bothered as, like most people, I've got nowhere to go in it.

I was wondering though for when I do eventually take delivery of it if anyone would know anywhere near Wrexham/Chester that they could recommend for remapping?

I haven't much experience of doing such, outside of a bit of homework on the internet, so any help or advice on such would be appreciated too.

I've noticed chips you can buy and plug in yourself (racechip.co.uk?) are they any good or are they to be avoided?

Thanks in advance.

I've recently fitted a https://tdi-tuning.com/ chip in my 184 TDI FR ST and had no issues. More power and better MPG. There are 7 settings - on the middle setting I get a bit more power and better mpg. On the higher setting the improved power is more noticable :yes: and mpg is the same as pre-chip.

In an ideal world I'd re-map it but getting a chip on eBay for £120 was the only way that I was going to do it on a budget. They seem to be well reviewed and an option if you don't have the £££'s to spend.

For me, it's a poor mans upgrade and I'm very happy with it.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
I've recently fitted a https://tdi-tuning.com/ chip in my 184 TDI FR ST and had no issues. More power and better MPG. There are 7 settings - on the middle setting I get a bit more power and better mpg. On the higher setting the improved power is more noticable :yes: and mpg is the same as pre-chip.

In an ideal world I'd re-map it but getting a chip on eBay for £120 was the only way that I was going to do it on a budget. They seem to be well reviewed and an option if you don't have the £££'s to spend.

For me, it's a poor mans upgrade and I'm very happy with it.
Cheers mate, didn't get a notification for this so only just read it. So how does it work with the on board modes (Sport etc)? Do you have to leave it on the same standard mode?

I assume fitting is simple.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Cheers mate, didn't get a notification for this so only just read it. So how does it work with the on board modes (Sport etc)? Do you have to leave it on the same standard mode?

The Sport mode effect stays the same - ie. more responsive throttle. It just delivers more power, sooner. I leave it in standard/normal anyway and don't really need the Sport option.

Fitting is 3 connections and done in about 30 mins.

The unit itself has 7 settings. 1 is the least power addition with best fuel economy, up to 7 which gives most power and not so good MPG. Previous owner of mine said on top setting they got about 225BHP on Dyno. Setting 4 is kind of best of both worlds, more power but sensible MPG. I'm not driven it much but on a regular run where I'm familiar with the MPG, I got 60 rather than 55 (it's mainly downhill and a bit of a plod).

I've got it on option 6 at the moment and MPG seems to be much the same as pre-chip but when I put my foot down, I get a lovely belt of power from just over 2500 rpm to 4000. You certainly notice it.

As you know with the TDI's, they can be driven very sensibly anyway but having that extra power helps with overtakes, slip roads entry etc.

I'm really pleased with mine.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014

Thanks. So did you buy from the website in the link or eBay? I thought you meant the site but further down you mentioned eBay so wasn't sure.

I've noticed similar ones on eBay at less than half the price but no idea what the difference is if any.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Thanks. So did you buy from the website in the link or eBay? I thought you meant the site but further down you mentioned eBay so wasn't sure.

I've noticed similar ones on eBay at less than half the price but no idea what the difference is if any.

Sorry for any confusion. I bought it from a guy on eBay who originally bought it from tdi-tuning, so it's a genuine article. He had sold the car so the chip was no longer needed. They are all programmed specifically for a certain engine. My guy had the same 184 FR and even the same engine code. I was happy that it was an exact fit and all was good.

I wouldn't have been able to afford a full price one, so this worked well for me.

Be wary of `cheaper` options. I'm no expert and will only go with proven tech/brands. I was lucky, right place at right time.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Sorry for any confusion. I bought it from a guy on eBay who originally bought it from tdi-tuning, so it's a genuine article. He had sold the car so the chip was no longer needed. They are all programmed specifically for a certain engine. My guy had the same 184 FR and even the same engine code. I was happy that it was an exact fit and all was good.

I wouldn't have been able to afford a full price one, so this worked well for me.

Be wary of `cheaper` options. I'm no expert and will only go with proven tech/brands. I was lucky, right place at right time.

Oh ok, nice one thanks for clearing up :) the ones I saw on ebay looked model specific as you had to put your exact model in first but I might do a bit more digging around first.

Thanks

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Oh ok, nice one thanks for clearing up :) the ones I saw on ebay looked model specific as you had to put your exact model in first but I might do a bit more digging around first.

Thanks

Yeah - they are tuned specifically for certain models, engines and power outputs. You need to get the right one for your car.

steveh8204

Mar 15, 2014
Yeah - they are tuned specifically for certain models, engines and power outputs. You need to get the right one for your car.
So what is the difference between buying one off ebay (that is designed for your model) and going to a proper tuner who remaps it? Apart from the price obviously.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
So what is the difference between buying one off ebay (that is designed for your model) and going to a proper tuner who remaps it? Apart from the price obviously.

Chips effectively trick the ECU to fuel the car differently and can be a little generic. Some people just don't them but they are better than they used to be. A remap actually reprogrammes the ECU and is therefore specific to your car and not just that particular model and can be customised more and is meant to be more `pure`.

I'm not an expert but from what I've read and been told, if buying a chip, it's best to buy a quality product rather than risk damaging your engine.

Chips have come a long way in the last few years and are a good option to a remap. Ideally, a remap is the best solution but costs more.

I just wouldn't buy a cheap chip of dubious origins!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise