Size of OEM radiator vs updated one.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Ok so there's not much information online whatsoever and I'm hoping I will get it from here.

I have a MK1 LCR and I'm upgrading (already upgraded parts) from old to new throughout. The one thing I haven't changed is the radiator and the car is on 94k. This will almost certainly need changing as it'll be 15 years old this year.

Anyway I have seen a Direnza one that says it'll fit the Leon. I'm awaiting a response but what size is the standard radiator? The sales spiel is and I quote
The latest design twin Water Channel Core, which holds more water to reduce engine temps"

1. If this new one has a bigger core will that make it bigger in general for OEM mounting points?

2. As I have a FMIC will this foul it in any way as it has a bigger core?

3. Is there a risk with a better performing radiator that it'll make the car TOO COLD for daily driving, especially in winter?

Thanks in advance.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I think it's 670mm wide instead of 650mm, but pretty much the same thickness. Presumably you get some brackets or something to fit the OEM mounts because it says it'll fit out of the box.

I don't think you'll see a massive amount of cooling difference - more water in a radiator doesn't mean better cooling. Lowering temperature is more to do with surface area. Fair enough if you wanted to really lower engine temps you'd buy an upgraded radiator, larger fans and a thermostat that opens at a lower temperature, but for road use I'd consider this an upgrade in quality and longevity rather than having much effect on cooling.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Thanks bud,
Well it does look a very quality item. I'm going through the car bit by bit to replace stuff that should be getting tired now.

I don't believe mine is leaking in any way so it's not faulty, just precautionary maintenance I suppose. The guy from Direnza messaged me to say it will fit as it's designed for OEM fitment.

I did also mention that I have a front mount and looking back through my old pics I don't think there's much leeway for a bigger core radiator there or I could be imagining things?

Also the daily drive part comes into play too as if it's too efficient the car will be running a little colder than it should? I know the thermostat will kick in at a determined point but these bigger radiators are more for hooning around a track. Although as you say it also works as something to help the car out (which I'm hoping for).

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
If your radiator is doing it's job I'm not sure why you'd want to change it? Yes the car is 15 years old, but unless there's been a problem in the past with overheating or it's had water in it for years and not proper coolant and you suspect rust then fair enough. A better core will only make a difference if the old radiator is not doing it's job. And it's the thermostat that dictates the engine's operating temp not the radiator.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If your radiator is doing it's job I'm not sure why you'd want to change it? Yes the car is 15 years old, but unless there's been a problem in the past with overheating or it's had water in it for years and not proper coolant and you suspect rust then fair enough. A better core will only make a difference if the old radiator is not doing it's job. And it's the thermostat that dictates the engine's operating temp not the radiator.
Agreed save your money, the thermostat controls the temperature that the cooling system runs at and you want this to be 90 degree’s anyways. Running too cold will give you rubbish fuel economy, and as the stat controls it you will still be running 90 degree’s anyways.

the only time it would be beneficial would be if say you are spanking it round the nurburgring / dedicated track car and running it flat out lap upon lap.

for a road car there is ZERO point

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Yeh to be fair I have been researching it here and there and there really isn't that much info on owners changing their radiators for upgraded items.

As I have said, car is getting stripped back component wise and whilst it's like that I may as well change the radiator (as when it does give up I will kick myself with labour costs if I don't do it at same time).

So instead of a like for like I thought maybe about getting a bigger core. As long as it fits and thermostat keeps it at 90 then car should be fine hopefully for a good few more years and also should a track day or something pops up I won't be sheeting (?) myself worrying bout the car. Thanks.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.