Debadge - insurance

fawcett

Apr 27, 2015
What are peoples opinions on debadged, and do you need to tell the insurance company if you want to remove your model badge?

anyone ever been denied a claim for not declaring a debadge?

Reactions: Oliver Pawley

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Personally I think the standard and fr's look better without the leon

Cupras should keep the cupra in my opinion

"it must've fell off" can't say I've seen any options for de badging on my insurance but I could be wrong. I suppose it technically is a "modification"

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

fluffy01016

1.21 Gigawatt !!
Feb 20, 2005
Lincoln
I’d not class that as a modification and doubt insurers would either. I suppose it’s a very grey area as you could say fitting PS4 tyres is a modification from the normal spec. I remember having an argument with an insurer when I wanted to add updated discs. They said it was a modification but I said it would help me have less accidents. But tenuous and didn’t do it in the end

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Yeah, the cupra is one of the only cars I would leave the badges on actually, I had a volvo v40 t5, which I de-badged.

I agree with your question, maybe you should tell your insurance about this now days !? You know what their like, but could you claim it fell off in the accident ? Does it counts as a mod ? I don't know. Would be worth someone asking to see what they say I would suggest

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Debadging is a bit of a grey area from a modifications / insurance perspective, and there isn’t a common approach to modifications by all insurers.

Although deleting a car’s model badge doesn’t IMO increase the insurance risk, it might still technically be considered to be a modification by some insurance companies.

Declaring the fact that badges have been removed eliminates the issue of an insurer being difficult if you subsequently have a claim - they wouldn’t then be able to repudiate the claim by using the excuse they’d not been told of all modifications - although I think it would be very harsh of an insurer to repudiate a claim on the basis that a model designation badge had been removed.

The small print in the insurance policy should outline whether or not the insurer needs to be told. Usually, there be a requirement to tell the insurer of any modifications, in which case I’d inform them if I intended deleting the model badges. I’d be very surprised if any insurer would make an additional premium charge for a badge deletion though.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Insurers take an interest in all of the changes you make to a car. Things like taking off badges and adding spoilers seem very innocent because they don't make the car go faster, so why tell them, right?

But this simply isn't how they work. It's not just about the actual performance of the car. In fact that is secondary. What really interest them is the type of person driving the car and the how big the risk of them crashing it is. And the kind of guys who modify cars are more likely to crash them!

Yeah, bleat about it all you want but it's a fact. Why else would insurance companies refuse to insure modified cars or charge more for them?

So they win, whatever you do. If you don't tell them about the mods and don't crash then they've got your money and not had to pay out. If you do crash and they find out about the mods, which they will, they've got your money and...they still don't have to pay out!

As long as your tyres meet the specification for the car, or are higher, you don't need to tell them. Badges, I'd be surprised if they bothered much about that on its own but if you'd done a rake of cosmetic mods then yeah, I would definitely tell them.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Seriously?can i fart in my car?
Insurance dont give a thing like this.You people over doing...

Reactions: Miguel 7

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Insurance is a case where the law puts the onus on the insured to declare everything. Failing to do so can mean you've broken the contract and are thus not insured. It may (or may not) be mad but that's how it is.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Insurance is a case where the law puts the onus on the insured to declare everything. Failing to do so can mean you've broken the contract and are thus not insured. It may (or may not) be mad but that's how it is.

Agree, and it only takes the phone call to your insurer, and most of us have a bit of spare time on our hands just now to make that call.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Agree, and it only takes the phone call to your insurer, and most of us have a bit of spare time on our hands just now to make that call.

Exactly. It's easy to keep yourself right. For years I called them every time I put the winter tyres on. Eventually they told me I didn't have to call them anymore, they knew I was doing it, but it's best to be on the safe side rather than take a risk for no reason.

Personally, I don't think they are going to bother about the badges but I'd make the call.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
If worried just ask them. They usually dont charge extra for such a minor thing. Ive debadged cars in the past and they didnt care, most didnt even care about a full koni adjustable kit I had, they just noted it.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
What are peoples opinions on debadged, and do you need to tell the insurance company if you want to remove your model badge?

anyone ever been denied a claim for not declaring a debadge?

Looks 1000% times better and cleaner without the badge. Personally I've kept the FR badge but removed the Leon. And no you don't need to tell the insurance company. It's not a "mod".

As far as I am aware the only time you need to tell your car insurer about any modifications is:
- If it affects the value of the car.
- If it increases the chances of the car being stolen or involved in an accident.
- If it changes the cars ability to perform whether that is power increases, steering or braking.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
As far as I am aware the only time you need to tell your car insurer about any modifications is:
- If it affects the value of the car.
- If it increases the chances of the car being stolen or involved in an accident.
- If it changes the cars ability to perform whether that is power increases, steering or braking.

Wishful thinking dude.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I must confess, my Volvo V40, i asked the receiving dealer if they can debadge it once it comes in. They said no problem, and I collected it with 14 miles on the clock, already debadged, I never 2nd thought about the implications on insurance. If anything, it's fewer things that could fall off, and injure, or fall off and hit a trailing vehicle.

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Correct me if I’m wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone will think different but my take on it is anything that isn't the bog standard car from factory will be classed as a mod. It'll differ by insurer more than anything

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Everyone will think different but my take on it is anything that isn't the bog standard car from factory will be classed as a mod. It'll differ by insurer more than anything

^ This, although as you’ve said, different insurers may have differing views.

Off topic, but related to what does / doesn’t need to be declared to the insurance company, the subject of factory fitted options is another grey area. Whether these need to be declared to the insurer also seems to vary from one insurer to another; apparently, some insurers require details of factory fit options whereas others don’t (my current insurer doesn’t).

Where an insurer does need details of factory fit options, it’s easy for the first owner to provide this information, but how will the second, third or any subsequent owners know which features of the car they’ve bought were options or part of the car’s standard spec? Insurance madness.........!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise