Recommended Engine Oil for Cupra 280?

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Hi. Hopefully a simple question....I need to get some top up oil for my 280. The Dealer put in Castrol Edge LL 5w30 but when I look online the recommended oil is 5w40. Is there a difference? Which is the one to go for? Thanks!

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
You can use either, but I would stick to 5w30 if that is what is already in the engine. And always use Castrol Edge they are the best.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Just found this, interesting: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/info/5w30-or-5w40-which-engine-oil-is-better-to-use-in-winter

"If you use your vehicle in urban conditions, often sit in traffic jams, drive at high speeds, and your car is old, buy oil with the 5w40 viscosity. But if you prefer calm driving, and fuel economy and eco-friendliness are important for you – choose a product with 5w30 marking."
I use 5w40 as I have tuned my car and do drive fast lol so 5w40 is better for my car.

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Hehe, that kind of reflects my driving style too, either in town and traffic, or a spirited drive in the country! But then it has 5w30 in at the moment and I guess it's best not to mix different types of oil...?

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Hehe, that kind of reflects my driving style too, either in town and traffic, or a spirited drive in the country! But then it has 5w30 in at the moment and I guess it's best not to mix different types of oil...?
You can mix it as long as you don't use more than a litre of the new oil (5w40).

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just one thing, that autodoc script is only showing Magnatec which is either "yesterday's Castrol offering" or the lower grade/quality and cheaper version of Edge offerings, also the topic was covering which to use in lower temperatures. In my world buying Castrol means spending lots of money for an average oil, buying Mobil One ESP means spending same or less money and having a higher grade oil according to many buyer-users, but each to their own.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Just one thing, that autodoc script is only showing Magnatec which is either "yesterday's Castrol offering" or the lower grade/quality and cheaper version of Edge offerings, also the topic was covering which to use in lower temperatures. In my world buying Castrol means spending lots of money for an average oil, buying Mobil One ESP means spending same or less money and having a higher grade oil according to many buyer-users, but each to their own.
How do you know Mobil One ESP is a better grade oil?
Because I would always prefer to use the best quality oil.
I've always thought that because Castrol Edge is used in so many different motor sports I has to be a very good oil.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@Charliessmith, as a DIYer buying engine oils for my cars for 45+years, I have used Castrol in the past, mainly Magnatec when I ran a VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4 (all of that was on the boot lid!), and was happy with the idea that Castrol Magnatec was said to stay coating the bearing surfaces after the engine had been stopped - though maybe all other oils did that as well but did not make a big thing about it. I tended to buy that oil from my local VX dealership at a reasonable price as if they as a VX dealer sold it I considered that it was right for that job.
Later I became aware that in all the aftermarket engine oil sales, only Castrol had started to stamp down on places setting their own prices, ie chipping maybe a £1 off a 5 litre can - but would always allow/force a "toy" to be given away FOC with a purchase - now as an adult, I did not consider that was in keeping with fait trading, so I immediately dropped Castrol from my engine oil options, this came at a time where many people were becoming aware that Castrol was trading in its past history of quality and involvement in motor sport - and opening their eyes to the fact that there were other good as or better engine oils out there as far as using in their specific car's engine.
Don't get me wrong, Castrol group do get involved with a huge amount of oil "designing" and testing but will get paid well by manufacturers for providing that service - but so will some other major lubricating oil companies.
When I moved from Ford+VX to VW Group cars, initially I started buying Quantum oils, Gold first then when it was discontinued Platinum, while fully understanding that Quantum is only a trading brand name for VW Group aftermarket service/maintenance products, ie intended never to be used in VW Group workshops but by individuals or general independent workshops supporting VW Group products - and maybe at one point Castrol was the supplier of some or all of these oils, but don't thing that the "extras" would be the same as an equivalent Castrol branded oil.
Later on I became aware that VW Group use Fuchs oils in the factories, ie Fuchs had the contract to supply factories, so I moved on to using Fuchs oils, again a quality version like Super Syn, then getting hold of the exact Fuchs oil I wanted became a bit less easy and maybe for a short time Castrol won the contract to provide VW Group factories with engine oils, but later at renewal time it went back to Fuchs, by this time Castrol seemed to have been able to place their branding on the oil filler caps on all VW Group engines - which is a blatant but maybe naïve way of getting their brand name into owners heads, a bit like imprinting that into owners heads, which is not too clever for everybody involved - brain washing in fact.
Then many people from many parts of the world were being impressed by Mobil One ESP, I had just bought a slightly used 2011 Audi S4 and its supplying dealer had just serviced it and used Mobil One ESP 5W-30, so that made me consider buying Mobil One ESP 5W-30 for all my cars as it was suitable for all of them and Opie Oils sold it at a very acceptable price.

Finally, sometimes in life we acquire "hero brands" and just don't bother to think about if they are the best that we can buy for the money being asked, then adulthood kicks in and if you are at all interested in certain things, you might do a re-take/re-think and question if some of your buying decisions are still correct, ie "am I being taken for a ride?" - that is mainly why I left Castrol certainly for engine oils, it could have been different if Castrol had quietly continued to produce good oils at reasonable prices, but for me they had become arrogant and were judging that people would take them as being best at face value - and most customers can have, if they open their eyes, have a choice, and my choice was to walk away from Castrol engine oils - that is all.

How do you with certainty fully test an engine oil against a range of others at the same level in the market in a variety of different engines under a variety of road condition - that is a tricky one as the company that pays for the testing or carries out the testing is never going to submit a report that does not place them head and shoulders above their competition - are they?

Each to their own really aided maybe by what others in a similar situation and general car DIY knowledge have worked out.

Edit:- sorry I didn't answer your last question:- do you really know if the Castrol Edge used by participants in motor sport is exactly the same as Castrol Edge that you might use in your car, and if it is, is it still completely relevant to how you use your car and its oil change period when compared with how it is used in motor sport with a motor sport specific designed engine?

Reactions: Polly

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Don't you think the frequency of the oil change is far more important than the brand? As long as it meets the spec for the car.

Reactions: Charliessmith

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Don't you think the frequency of the oil change is far more important than the brand? As long as it meets the spec for the car.

I did not mention that as I'd expect most or all people interested in chatting about engine oils to easily exceeding the minimum recommended time/miles.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You can get some surprises when you look into the numbers on your can of oil. Some of the famous brands turn out not to be the quality you thought you were buying. I haven't bought big brand oil in years.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You can get some surprises when you look into the numbers on your can of oil. Some of the famous brands turn out not to be the quality you thought you were buying. I haven't bought big brand oil in years.

One issue with some of the smaller brands is that they intend their product to meet or exceed car manufacture's specs, while not actually submitting samples for testing.

One issue with big companies supplying other smaller players their own "brew" is, no one or very few people question the quality of the basic synthetic oil base, it is the supplemental additives that makes an engine oil good, okay or not much good during the entire life in service - I emailed Fuchs UK sales rep with an enquiry about the "brew" they sold to a major car parts warehouse as it was known that it was a Fuchs supplied oil that was in that outlet's own branded container, what I wanted to know was which version of Fuchs equated to which version of that outlet's own brands - that question got picked up as me asking if the Fuchs oils in their entirety were the same as that outlets offerings, and the answer was, "every other brand we supply gets its own additive package chosen to fit in with the pricing sector that outlet was aiming that own brand into - well I think that most of us had already worked that out ie rarely or never do own brands meet the same levels as the big name supplying them.

Sometimes you pays your money and gets what you have paid for, and some times you pays your money and gets less than you paid for, not much chance of getting more than you have paid for I'm afraid - but as I said in an earlier posting, each to their own. I am quite happy with my choice.

Reactions: Polly

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Hi. Hopefully a simple question....I need to get some top up oil for my 280. The Dealer put in Castrol Edge LL 5w30 but when I look online the recommended oil is 5w40. Is there a difference? Which is the one to go for? Thanks!
I would change the castrol to fully synthetic oil not something that is called synthetic just because rules allow this...

Just double check what approval do you need I would go for either Millers or Motul both brands got very good reviews you can find plenty of used oil tests that would provide info about level of offered protection by those oils.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
I'm looking to do the small service on my 2016 290 Cupra ST, It was meant to be serviced late last year but due to Covid I am been working from home the past year and not using the car at all... like twice a month to just give it a run. So I was in no rush to service it as the oil also looks clean still.

I'm looking to use 5-30w but noticed that you have a choice of long life oil which says to be changed every 2 years?

Oil Link Castrol site

Which one do people use? Normal or long life?

Also read that mk3 are using plastic sump plugs, just checking before I order bits, and it's to dam cold to climb under my to check right now :sneaky:.

Cheers

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Personally, I get my oil changed every year regardless of usage. I may be paranoid but it's the only thing protecting your engine and over time oils can break down and thus offer less lubrication. Not sure how LL oils get round this.

I have a Cupra 280 and used to have 5w30 oil. At the last service I switched to 5w40....I have actually noticed that oil temp doesn't get as high as it used to and when it does peak, it's gets back down to lower temps a bit quicker also.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUM4MO
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise