Improve ride comfort

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
Hi guys!

So this is my setup so far:
Leon FR 1.4 TSi 125bhp (2018)
Stock suspension
18” performance wheels with 225.40 tyres

Now my problem is, ride comfort feels like sh...!
How can I improve this? What shocks should I use to improve comfort? Should I replace bushes?

Thanks in advance :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I get the feeling they put 18s on the FR because they look cool but yeah, they're too big for an already harsh car.

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
I think I have to agree with you [mention]Mr Pig [/mention] really arsh for the people traveling in the back.

We feel everything on the road...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@davidvilao; Tyre brand can affect ride comfort - Bridgestone’s on 18’s seem to be a preferred tyre choice by VAG - they must’ve negotiated a really good (cheap) price with Bridgestone to fit these in preference to other (better) brands of tyres. The downsides of Bridgestone’s are that they are a very firm riding tyre, and they’re also quite noisy too. They also have a tendency to suffer from wheel hop and tramping at the slightest provocation in colder and damp conditions. The only benefit of these tyres seems to be they last forever, which isn’t necessarily a good thing if you place a high value on the handling, grip, ride quality and noise levels of your tyres! So if your car is fitted with these Bridgestone’s, they could be a contributory factor to the poor ride you’re experiencing.

Golf owners over on golfgtiforum.co.uk who’ve changed from 225/40 R18 Bridgestone’s to Michelin PS4 have noticed an improvement on ride comfort, plus other benefits such as better grip/traction, and reduction or complete elimination of wheel hop/tramping on wet roads.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My car ha the Bridgestones on it. They'll need replaced soon, can't wait!

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Weren't 225/45-17 standard on the FR with 225/40-18 optional?
My used 2018 FR came with the 18s but ride is improved when wearing its winter Nokian 225/45-17s on lighter alloys.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Weren't 225/45-17 standard on the FR with 225/40-18 optional?
My used 2018 FR came with the 18s but ride is improved when wearing its winter Nokian 225/45-17s on lighter alloys.
I believe they were. The OP has the 18” performance alloys with 225/40 R18 tyres on their car though.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Easiest option would be get yourself some better tyres. I have 19” wheels and the goodyears I have make it ride pretty much as well as the car does on the winter tyres on 17” wheels. A good set of tyres will make a big difference.

Tyrereviews.co.uk will help you decide which ones. Michelin/Goodyear for high performance with a good level of comfort.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi guys!

So this is my setup so far:
Leon FR 1.4 TSi 125bhp (2018)
Stock suspension
18” performance wheels with 225.40 tyres

Now my problem is, ride comfort feels like sh...!
How can I improve this? What shocks should I use to improve comfort? Should I replace bushes?

Thanks in advance :)

Check that you are using the 'Comfort' pressure for your tyres, made a big difference on my car.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Eugh...40 profile tyres, been there done that with my Ibiza, avoided pot-holes and speedbumps like the plague...lowering PSI pressures 1-2 PSI did help (a bit). but a thicker sidewall helps!
I guess you could try few things (depending on situation). lower the tyre pressures to 'comfort setting,' or less 1-2 psi, still not happy, either change to more 'comfort biased tyres' that are not Bridgestone, (Michelin PS4/Primacy, GY Assy5/EfficientGripP the likes), if still not a difference, then you may need to go to 17" with 225/45 tyres either Seat Branded rims or aftermarket rims. As you have a 1.4, you wouldn't have the bigger brakes, so 16" would still fit ok 205/55.

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
Thanks for all the information.

Will try to lower the pressure, and if that doesn’t work might start search for new tyres.

I think I might also have bad rear shocks.

Any suggestions on some good replacement?

I once thought of replacing all of the shocks with coil overs, would that improve the comfort?

Really appreciate all of the help!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for all the information.

Will try to lower the pressure, and if that doesn’t work might start search for new tyres.

I think I might also have bad rear shocks.

Any suggestions on some good replacement?

I once thought of replacing all of the shocks with coil overs, would that improve the comfort?

Really appreciate all of the help!

No coilovers will not make a more comfortable ride, they will make it rock hard and worse.

i think you are wasting your time going for different tyres they will make minimal difference.

if the ride bothers you that much your only real option is to drop alloy wheel size and get a chunkier tyre. That is the only real solution

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I advised a friend a while ago who was buying a Leon to try a few before buying, as the ride quality differs enormously between a non FR model on 205/55R16 and at the other extreme an FR model on 225/40R18. He went non FR!

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
I've got an Xcellence Technology with the 1.4 150 ACT and DSG with 17in wheels. Whilst it deals with speed bumps in a relatively comfortable way, I find it close to unbearable on rough roads or over a stray pothole. Seems to send massive jolts through the entire car whenever you hit something with a single wheel. It even loses composure over motorway cats eyes.

I'm adamant that something's wrong with it and it's not just a characteristic of the car as even passengers have commented on it, particularly when in the back. The front offside tyre is also wearing much faster than the rest and whilst the inherent torque imbalance of a FWD car can cause some of this, surely not 3mm worth of wear.

But dealers claim nothing wrong. That said, my confidence in the dealer is minimal after various issues. Coupled with the numerous rattles, engine vibrations and noises, I'm slowly losing confidence in the car.

Only really empathising with you and agreeing it could be mechanical problems.

Last edited:

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
Yes I do think the same.

I have a lot of noises coming from the suspension. When I go over some bump or slowly over my drive away, I hear a grind coming from the front.

I’ve had lots of cars, Laguna MK3, Vectra C GTS, and never experienced anything like this.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
i think you are wasting your time going for different tyres they will make minimal difference.

if the ride bothers you that much your only real option is to drop alloy wheel size and get a chunkier tyre. That is the only real solution

This is simply not true. Different tyres can make a big difference to how the car rides and how loud it is. The Bridgestones that came on my mum’s GTD, especially when worn, were so loud and crashy. When we switched to Michelin PS4s the car was transformed. Magic carpet ride by comparison.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
This is simply not true. Different tyres can make a big difference to how the car rides and how loud it is. The Bridgestones that came on my mum’s GTD, especially when worn, were so loud and crashy. When we switched to Michelin PS4s the car was transformed. Magic carpet ride by comparison.
Yes the bridgestones are crap, i myself have changed to goodyear eagles and it is better.
What i am saying is yes they will help but in the grand scheme of things only a small percentage, moving to a smaller alloy / larger side walled tyre will make a bigger difference.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Yes I do think the same.
I have a lot of noises coming from the suspension. When I go over some bump or slowly over my drive away, I hear a grind coming from the front.
I’ve had lots of cars, Laguna MK3, Vectra C GTS, and never experienced anything like this.

Although unlikely, check to see if the 'transport' blocks have been removed from the front springs, there are quite a few cases
where they have not been removed on the PDI.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.