Cracked windscreen

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
HI all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice / experience on cracked windscreen. Crack is about 20 cm, outer layer only.

From your experience (if any) are these usually repairable or full windscreen replacement? I am aware these don't affect NCB, and excess is £10 - £75 depending if repair or replacement. I suspect it cracked as a branch from a nearby tree fell and hit the car there. Found few large branches around.

Do you know if it also needs to be car / brand specific glass?

THanks!
thumbnail_IMG_20200410_164028_resized_20200427_123747355.jpg

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
HI all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice / experience on cracked windscreen. Crack is about 20 cm, outer layer only.

From your experience (if any) are these usually repairable or full windscreen replacement? I am aware these don't affect NCB, and excess is £10 - £75 depending if repair or replacement. I suspect it cracked as a branch from a nearby tree fell and hit the car there. Found few large branches around.

Do you know if it also needs to be car / brand specific glass?

THanks! View attachment 14556
Definitely not repairable and illegal to drive with it like that i believe.
Had mine replaced Christmas eve by Autoglass did a good job but used non Seat/Pilkington branded glass, AGC Automotive who apparently make a lot of OEM glass.
You also need to make sure it's correct for the sensors you may have on your car, and may need calibration as well.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
As @Walone has said, the damage is far too extensive for a repair, so screen will need to be replaced.

The article at the link below explains the extent of permissible damage for MOT purposes in ‘zones A and B’ on the screen;
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/how-to-deal-with-damaged-windscreens/

IMO, a windscreen without Seat branding is likely to be as good as an OEM Seat branded screen - many of the unbranded and branded screens are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory; probably the only difference being the Seat Logo on the branded screen. If you insist on a Seat branded screen, you may find your insurer applies a higher excess than they do with a non branded screen.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
As @Walone has said, the damage is far too extensive for a repair, so screen will need to be replaced.

The article at the link below explains the extent of permissible damage for MOT purposes in ‘zones A and B’ on the screen;
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/how-to-deal-with-damaged-windscreens/

IMO, a windscreen without Seat branding is likely to be as good as an OEM Seat branded screen - many of the unbranded and branded screens are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory; probably the only difference being the Seat Logo on the branded screen. If you insist on a Seat branded screen, you may find your insurer applies a higher excess than they do with a non branded screen.
I'd ask SEAT Ensurance, they might be able to assist with sourcing OEM glass. They negotiate with your insurer to make sure any repair your insurer authorises is completed using OEM parts, and where possible, at a SEAT approved vehicle repair shop. They offer the service free of charge whether you have Seat insurance or not since they probably make a premium on making sure you use SEAT parts.

https://www.seat.co.uk/buying-guide/insurance/ensurance.html

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I've had 2 windscreens crack on me so far and I've only had the car for 3 years. That will definitely need replacing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I got mine done by Autoglass through my insurance was only £75

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Thanks all for your advise / experience, excess is £75 via my insurance by Aviva, and they will Autoglass to do the repairs, but it's a 2-3 week wait, as I'm not a key worker, not that i have anywhere urgent to go anyway, work from home, I just visited the car to push it a little so it doesn't flat spot the tyres, and the crack was there to greet me.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks all for your advise / experience, excess is £75 via my insurance by Aviva, and they will Autoglass to do the repairs, but it's a 2-3 week wait, as I'm not a key worker, not that i have anywhere urgent to go anyway, work from home, I just visited the car to push it a little so it doesn't flat spot the tyres, and the crack was there to greet me.

I feel your pain mate.

Had my brand new Cupra for less than 3 days when I got a chip in the windscreen - it was about 4mm across, but because it was in the driver's direct line of sight it was deemed not reparable. Attempted it myself as I had nothing to lose, but the crack splintered. Been driving 9 years, never had a claim, now this will be my third window claim in less than a year.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
So it turns out, I misunderstood, they called me. I thought as I wasn't a key worker, the lead times are 2-3 weeks. Actually the lead times are they won't come to replace the windshield until lockdown is lifted I guess. Hope the lockdown would be lifted before my battery goes dead or fuel goes stale!

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
So it turns out, I misunderstood, they called me. I thought as I wasn't a key worker, the lead times are 2-3 weeks. Actually the lead times are they won't come to replace the windshield until lockdown is lifted I guess. Hope the lockdown would be lifted before my battery goes dead or fuel goes stale!
That's ridiculous, it's not as if they have to have any contact with you.

Reactions: Charliessmith

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thing is, if I needed to replace the side or rear windows, they will come out, just not the front ones, I wonder why too!
Maybe they are afraid the car will pass them something unwanted from the front only!

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/
I think that Autoglass are taking that approach as the side and rear car glass is still toughened rather than laminated in the majority of cars. So if a toughened glass window in a car is damaged, the glass shatters and leaves an opening where the window was, and the interior of the car becomes exposed to the weather or would-be perpetrators looking for easy pickings.

Laminated windscreen glass on the other hand will usually remain in place if it’s damaged, so the car’s interior is not exposed.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.