1.5TSI EVO 150 Surprisingly gutless?

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please go easy on me.

I've looked through the forums and can't find anyone who has said similar, but is there anyone here who has bought a Leon 1.5TSI EVO 150 and been slightly disappointed by the performance?

I've recently come from a 1.0TSI 115 A3 and aside from the 1.5 being significantly smoother in both noise and vibration, it feels no faster and in some cases more reluctant to get moving. The 1.0TSI felt like it was punching way above what it deserved to.

My partner has a 2018 1.0TSI 115 Ibiza, and I could not pass it as I followed it up to the national speed limit on a dual carriageway.

Now my question is, does anybody else think that the EVO 150 seems a bit 'restrained'? Do I have a lemon? Or is this something to do with the PPF fitted that my A3 didn't have?

Sorry for my ramblings...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Ibiza has 107bhp per tonne
Leon has 128bhp per tonne

So 21bhp per tonne extra, this is not night and day advantage so your findings seem correct, i have noticed the 1.5tsi is geared rather long so you really need to drop it a few cogs to get it going, quite a lazy engine

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Ibiza has 107bhp per tonne
Leon has 128bhp per tonne

So 21bhp per tonne extra, this is not night and day advantage so your findings seem correct, i have noticed the 1.5tsi is geared rather long so you really need to drop it a few cogs to get it going, quite a lazy engine

I agree completely, but I'm more comparing and contrasting with my previous A3 which was of more comparable weight to my current Leon and with similarly (and irritatingly) long gearing. Oddly though, my Leon revs higher than my A3 at 70mph, despite the greater maximum torque at lower rpm...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I agree completely, but I'm more comparing and contrasting with my previous A3 which was of more comparable weight to my current Leon and with similarly (and irritatingly) long gearing. Oddly though, my Leon revs higher than my A3 at 70mph, despite the greater maximum torque at lower rpm...
You should feel sorry for me i have the 130 1.5 tsi and it’s a pudding.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
I have the 1.4 ecotsi 150 2016 Ibiza and its extremely rapid - it is very long geared though so you do need to work it but the torque means it pulls in any gear. The ibiza is 0-60 in 7.6 vs the Leons 8.1 I believe.

wolverine_uk

Oct 18, 2018
I picked mine up in march, it's the 1.5tsi 150bhp. Then lockdown happened so I'm yet to really put my foot down, it's just done 435 miles mainly to work and back. It drives great and I'm very pleased with the layout inside and digital clocks. The only thing that I need to raise with the dealer is the kangarooing when cold and odd vibration thru the cockpit when changing to and from 2 cylinder mode.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I have the 1.4 ecotsi 150 2016 Ibiza and its extremely rapid - it is very long geared though so you do need to work it but the torque means it pulls in any gear. The ibiza is 0-60 in 7.6 vs the Leons 8.1 I believe.

Hmm... from everything I’ve heard and read it sounds as though the previous 1.4TSI is a much stronger engine. You used to hear people raving about the 1.4 but you don’t hear that about the 1.5 version.

I had a 1.4TSI 150 Audi A1 courtesy car a year or two ago and that REALLY shifted!

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I picked mine up in march, it's the 1.5tsi 150bhp. Then lockdown happened so I'm yet to really put my foot down, it's just done 435 miles mainly to work and back. It drives great and I'm very pleased with the layout inside and digital clocks. The only thing that I need to raise with the dealer is the kangarooing when cold and odd vibration thru the cockpit when changing to and from 2 cylinder mode.

Absolutely, I love the car and it easily makes up for the fact the engine does not live up to expectations (though perhaps these were too high).

I feel for you not being able to enjoy your new car as much as you’d like. The kangarooing is very irritating, but usually in winter it’s warmed up enough by the time I’ve de-iced all the windows so can pull off smoothly.

Embarrassing leaving the work car park at the end of the day, bouncing through the gates - colleagues think I’ve forgotten how to drive!

wolverine_uk

Oct 18, 2018
At 1st I thought maybe it was me, I had read about it but also read there'd been a fix so I assume being a 20reg it wouldn't exist on mine. But I've had 2 other people have a drive of the car and they said, mate it's a lovely car Shame about the bouncing around when pulling off lol very embarrassing when leaving work on a brand new car.

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
At 1st I thought maybe it was me, I had read about it but also read there'd been a fix so I assume being a 20reg it wouldn't exist on mine. But I've had 2 other people have a drive of the car and they said, mate it's a lovely car Shame about the bouncing around when pulling off lol very embarrassing when leaving work on a brand new car.

Haha glad it’s not just me who knows the embarrassment. Fingers crossed there's a fix sooner rather than later

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I doubt there will ever be a fix, my 68 plate is going back as soon as lockdown is over as i cannot stand it anymore. Looking to get the missus to pass her test and there is zero chance she could drive it, i can hardly drive it myself, even when warm it still is not the most manageable drive when in slow moving 1st gear traffic. Had enough of it now

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I doubt there will ever be a fix, my 68 plate is going back as soon as lockdown is over as i cannot stand it anymore. Looking to get the missus to pass her test and there is zero chance she could drive it, i can hardly drive it myself, even when warm it still is not the most manageable drive when in slow moving 1st gear traffic. Had enough of it now

What a shame, mate. I think maybe I’ve got off lucky because it does it for the first few seconds when cold but I know I’d be furious if it was how yours sounds. Have you tried to take it further with SEAT? You don’t expect this sort of thing from such a new car.

Gordon Blair

May 3, 2020
I’ve noticed mine does the kangaroo thing as well. Not too severe but definitely noticeable. Again agree on the lethargic engine. I’ve driven the 1.4 act, and that actually feels quite quick compared to the 1.5, and also 1.4 has a better exhaust note too.

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I’ve noticed mine does the kangaroo thing as well. Not too severe but definitely noticeable. Again agree on the lethargic engine. I’ve driven the 1.4 act, and that actually feels quite quick compared to the 1.5, and also 1.4 has a better exhaust note too.

As I said before, mine is a lease and having driven many other Leon Mk 3s in the past few years and owned a few VAG cars I happily went ahead without too much thought.

Like you say, after driving the 1.4 150 (albeit in a much smaller car) I was expecting performance that resembled it to an extent but I just haven’t found that.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
As I said before, mine is a lease and having driven many other Leon Mk 3s in the past few years and owned a few VAG cars I happily went ahead without too much thought.

Like you say, after driving the 1.4 150 (albeit in a much smaller car) I was expecting performance that resembled it to an extent but I just haven’t found that.

If it’s brand new as well it will be really tight for a good few miles until it’s loosened up a bit then you should get better performance and economy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What a shame, mate. I think maybe I’ve got off lucky because it does it for the first few seconds when cold but I know I’d be furious if it was how yours sounds. Have you tried to take it further with SEAT? You don’t expect this sort of thing from such a new car.
I tried until i was blue in the face, even gave them the service bulletin number the lot, came back with can’t see it on our system and we have never heard of this issue before coupled with the fact i had a knee operation in 2019 on my clutch leg i cannot go on with it much longer, so managed to get my lease terminated, just cannot get the new car cause of lockdown.

sellis94

May 3, 2020
Nottinghamshire
If it’s brand new as well it will be really tight for a good few miles until it’s loosened up a bit then you should get better performance and economy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought that, but it’s now done 7500 miles and while the economy is MUCH improved, the performance has stayed much the same. Thought I’d give it chance before having a moan about it haha

Reactions: Hag

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah I thought that, but it’s now done 7500 miles and while the economy is MUCH improved, the performance has stayed much the same. Thought I’d give it chance before having a moan about it haha
Sure it’s the 150? What’s the engine code

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.