2004 osr electric window playing up.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Afternoon all.

Need a bit of help with the rear door window on my car please?

Long story short, the window seems to have parted company with the regulator.
Previous to this the window went up n down with no apparent issues. Regulator was quiet and smooth etc.
Pulled the door card off and had a look through the inspection hole in the inner panel.
Could see the white clip bit that attaches the regulator to the glass. Looked (couldn't see all of it) ok.
Anyone any idea what i need to fix it?
I haven't taken the inner panel off because its sealed perfectly against the rain but will if needs be.

The glass still rests nicely in the white clip but (the glass) doesn't lower with the regulator. The glass isnt tight in its runners.

Cheers Rich

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
When you press the button to move the window down, can you still hear the motor working? Once you've done that, can you then push the glass down yourself? If that's the case, it sounds like your expansion pin has gone somehow.

That said, it could have just come unseated, in which case you might need to lower the window all the way and then push down hard until it clicks back into place. It'll make a loud bang when you do it.

If you do need an expansion pin, the part number is 6N0839511. They're pennies from a main dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
When you press the button to move the window down, can you still hear the motor working? Once you've done that, can you then push the glass down yourself? If that's the case, it sounds like your expansion pin has gone somehow.

That said, it could have just come unseated, in which case you might need to lower the window all the way and then push down hard until it clicks back into place. It'll make a loud bang when you do it.

If you do need an expansion pin, the part number is 6N0839511. They're pennies from a main dealer.

Top man!

Regulator is fine. I lowered the reg down to the peep hole in the inner panel. Then dropped the glass into the channel. It looked to sit correctly in the channel. I assume the plastic has broken away where the location pin goes as there was no click when i dropped the glass into place.
Can the white plastic channel be replaced on its own or is it new regulator time?

Cheers Rich

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Top man!

Regulator is fine. I lowered the reg down to the peep hole in the inner panel. Then dropped the glass into the channel. It looked to sit correctly in the channel. I assume the plastic has broken away where the location pin goes as there was no click when i dropped the glass into place.
Can the white plastic channel be replaced on its own or is it new regulator time?

Cheers Rich

To be honest, I've never replaced the regulator myself - I had issues with mine because a garage that replaced my lock removed the expansion pin and then didn't replace it.

For either case though, it's a mystery as to how either the channel or the expansion pin could be broken or missing - they don't tend to do that on their own.

Any chance you can get a photo through the inspection hole thing of the bottom of the window in the channel? I can get an idea then of what might be the problem. Only reason I ask is because it's a super cheap fix with the expansion pin, or a more expensive one if you have to replace the regulator. I can't remember if the rear door window mechanism is riveted in either - which adds more complication.

I hate working on the rear doors - on the fronts you can take everything out and it's all straightforward - but on the rear it's all cramped and complicated.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.