JB1 tuning box on 2020 OPF Cupra

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Recently purchased a JB1 box for use with my 2020 OPF equipped cupra.

Does anyone here have a JB1 box fitted to their OPF car? I can't find anything regarding compatibility with these newer cars.

Don't want to fit it if it's going to have compatibility issues and potentially damage the engine because of it.

Other manufacturers (e.g. dtuk, racechip) have the 2019-20 cupra listed as a separate vehicle and quote different power gains to the earlier model. Racechip quote +41bhp on the 2020 model and +74bhp on the earlier model.

Thanks!

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
It is 100% compatible. If you can upgrade to JB4 I would do so, you will get more power and smoother delivery as gets air/fuel information.

JB1 would probably gain around 40 hp. JB4 around 60 hp on map 2. And a 60-80 on map 6 depending on mods and fuel. My best guesses.

I have JB4 on my MY20 (dec 2019) ST 4Drive Cupra which has GPF, when tuned right it will rival most stage 1 flash tunes. My car does 0-60 mph in about 3.7s, 1/4 mile in about 12.0s and 100-200 km/h in about 10.5s, give or take a few tenths.

Reactions: Fer16v

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
It is 100% compatible. If you can upgrade to JB4 I would do so, you will get more power and smoother delivery as gets air/fuel information.

JB1 would probably gain around 40 hp. JB4 around 60 hp on map 2. And a 60-80 on map 6 depending on mods and fuel. My best guesses.

I have JB4 on my MY20 (dec 2019) ST 4Drive Cupra which has GPF, when tuned right it will rival most stage 1 flash tunes. My car does 0-60 mph in about 3.7s, 1/4 mile in about 12.0s and 100-200 km/h in about 10.5s, give or take a few tenths.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Depending how I get on with the JB1 I may upgrade to the JB4. I had a bad experience with a dtuk box on my 2.0 184 diesel, so didn't want to drop £400+ on the JB4 just yet.

I'm sure I won't have any of the same issues, but £250 for the JB1 was hard to pass up

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Depending how I get on with the JB1 I may upgrade to the JB4. I had a bad experience with a dtuk box on my 2.0 184 diesel, so didn't want to drop £400+ on the JB4 just yet.

I'm sure I won't have any of the same issues, but £250 for the JB1 was hard to pass up

Just let me know if you need any help if you get that JB4 upgrade. JB1 is just plug and play.

They're fantastic boxes and the support from their VAG expert George is second to none.

Reactions: Steve T71

Steve T71

Jan 14, 2020
Just let me know if you need any help if you get that JB4 upgrade. JB1 is just plug and play.

They're fantastic boxes and the support from their VAG expert George is second to none.

Hi @Zer0,
So u got a JB4 on GPF ea888, I got a 2020 ST CUPRA R, Am very interested, u got a Blog or before and after dyno's etc ?
Cheers Steve T.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Hi @Zer0,
So u got a JB4 on GPF ea888, I got a 2020 ST CUPRA R, Am very interested, u got a Blog or before and after dyno's etc ?
Cheers Steve T.

Yeah car is in my signature, had it on my GTI for 3 years before that, never skipped a beat and support from Burger Tuning is great.

No dyno but it is very quick (figures posted above), it rivals most stage 1 flash tunes once dialed in.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
What was your bad experience with the DTUK box when you had a 184FR?

Multiple instances of the car going into limp mode in normal driving. It was absolutely fine for the first 6 months, then started acting up. I played with the map settings but the third time it happened I got rid of it. The performance gains weren't worth the safety concerns.

The car pulled like crazy, but wasn't worth the risk of it going into limp mode while overtaking or something.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Multiple instances of the car going into limp mode in normal driving. It was absolutely fine for the first 6 months, then started acting up. I played with the map settings but the third time it happened I got rid of it. The performance gains weren't worth the safety concerns.

The car pulled like crazy, but wasn't worth the risk of it going into limp mode while overtaking or something.
The overtaking bit is what would bother me. It's happened to me in a diesel before (no tuning box) and is a bit scary! Did you have it on a high setting to start with?

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
The overtaking bit is what would bother me. It's happened to me in a diesel before (no tuning box) and is a bit scary! Did you have it on a high setting to start with?

Yeah I'd rather have a car that's slower to overtake than one that might cut power half way through!

I had it on map 3+3 to start with which is supposed to be the most aggressive in terms of power delivery, I tried map 2+1 and 1+1 after that and had the same limp mode issue.

I read online that sometimes you just have to keep fiddling and find one of the 18 settings that works for your particular vehicle, but I wasn't willing to take the risk, especially since my partner sometimes drives it.

Fer16v

Feb 2, 2020
Spain

Zero. Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. My car is basically same as yours ('20 GPF ST R) and i'm still finding opinions if it's worth a tuner over a JB box. But i have a main question. As i read in your post, you buy a JB box, then "upgrade" it to a JB4 and finally, choose a map between what is offered. Is that right? Well, but...then....every of those maps are pre-installed independently of your make of car? (I only find Audi/Vw boxes on their web, not Seat). Maybe i'm wrong, but i supossed you buy the box, then you choose a map, but before, at some point, a JB tuner has "online logged" your car on real conditions (sending our personal road pulls) as GTC made before on my old car, i.e.

If that is not the point with JB4 boxes, then i think i will finally choose for REVO or APR. But it's not clear for me at a 100%.

Regards!

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Zero. Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. My car is basically same as yours ('20 GPF ST R) and i'm still finding opinions if it's worth a tuner over a JB box. But i have a main question. As i read in your post, you buy a JB box, then "upgrade" it to a JB4 and finally, choose a map between what is offered. Is that right? Well, but...then....every of those maps are pre-installed independently of your make of car? (I only find Audi/Vw boxes on their web, not Seat). Maybe i'm wrong, but i supossed you buy the box, then you choose a map, but before, at some point, a JB tuner has "online logged" your car on real conditions (sending our personal road pulls) as GTC made before on my old car, i.e.

If that is not the point with JB4 boxes, then i think i will finally choose for REVO or APR. But it's not clear for me at a 100%.

Regards!

You buy the JB4 box directly, no point in getting a JB1 then upgrading it to a JB4.

There are some maps that will fit most cars/fuel. The box is shipped with map 1 and it works fine for all cars and fuel and you'll probably get around 45-50 hp more than stock.

If you have good fuel (RON 98 or better, usually) you can move to map 2, 3 or 4. Map 3 is for DSG 6 cars and Map 4 for DSG 7 cars. You'll get around 60-70 hp more than stock. These maps will run great and are set and forget.

If you want to push a bit more power than that and you have even better fuel you can work with the Burger Tuning support team (George) and run some logs and they will analyze and customize a map 6 for you. You log by using the JB4 app or computer and accelerated from 3rd gear up a little in 4th and it will save the log in a csv file.

fluffy01016

1.21 Gigawatt !!
Feb 20, 2005
Lincoln
You buy the JB4 box directly, no point in getting a JB1 then upgrading it to a JB4.

There are some maps that will fit most cars/fuel. The box is shipped with map 1 and it works fine for all cars and fuel and you'll probably get around 45-50 hp more than stock.

If you have good fuel (RON 98 or better, usually) you can move to map 2, 3 or 4. Map 3 is for DSG 6 cars and Map 4 for DSG 7 cars. You'll get around 60-70 hp more than stock. These maps will run great and are set and forget.

If you want to push a bit more power than that and you have even better fuel you can work with the Burger Tuning support team (George) and run some logs and they will analyze and customize a map 6 for you. You log by using the JB4 app or computer and accelerated from 3rd gear up a little in 4th and it will save the log in a csv file.
Great update @z

great update @Zer0

I’ve got the DSG 6 so can I buy the box setup with map 3? Looking on the website it says if you just plug in then you get map 1. Would I need to buy the cable to enable map 3?

cheers

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Great update @z

great update @Zer0

I’ve got the DSG 6 so can I buy the box setup with map 3? Looking on the website it says if you just plug in then you get map 1. Would I need to buy the cable to enable map 3?

cheers

Yeah you need the cable to switch maps, otherwise you're stuck with map 1 and can't change the settings. All boxes are shipped with map 1, unless you can get the shop to update it before shipping it out. But you'd want the USB cable anyway. You can also get the Bluetooth kit but I'm using USB.

https://progressiveparts.com/burger-motorsports-jb4-jb1-data-cable

Last edited: