Cupra R ABT issues

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The white does look a bit naff. The black would be nice. Through Europe there were originally 4 colours available, all left hand drive. Only the darkness grey was available in the UK. I notice that the example doesn't have that little ABT on the rear left hand side and is second hand, and is more expensive than mine, unregistered!!!!
On the valve issue.... then why is the exhaust tone completely different in Cupra?..... are they over feeding fuel in order to get the snarl noise? It is a party piece of the car to switch modes and listen to the change in the exhaust noise, right from tickover through to overrun.

For the UK the first ones only came in Blackness Grey, if you wanted the other colours you had to wait. Not sure why Seat UK did that, but you could always have the other colours if you were willing to wait. But UK didn't get the matt grey I think (same with 5 door).

Unlike the Cupra R 5 door, the Carbon Cupra R ST is not a limited edition, just a different model you can order. That's why you don't get a No XXX of XXX on your internal trim. However like the Carbon, Seat UK only decided only to bring a set number into the UK to give it some kind of exclusivity. For the carbon it was officially 50, although some say only 42 actually came across in the end.

As for the price on the white one, who knows?!

As for the valve. You have a soundactuator and change to fueling. Soundactuator is a speaker like device in the engine bay that makes the car sound louder (turned mine off). The fuelling is more to improve throttle response when the gearbox in sport mode. So that's why you get off throttle pops and bangs (depending on how loud your exhaust is/isn't).

So yeah no valves.

40bi9l.jpg

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
No idea! One of the quite strange things about this car, right from the beginning has been the lack of detailed information. When I had Porsche 911's the technical infor available was far more forthcoming.
I do think that the ST, the carbon and the ST-R are more different than might be obvious.
I read various reviews and the Carbon was a dressed up 2.0TSI ST. The R has lowered suspension and negative cambered wheels. The car sits quite differently than the 2.0TSI ST.
There is a review of the carbon and the guy mentions the R and says the exhaust is completely different. (He also seemed to think the R was a far more preferable car....)
https://www.seatcupra.net/index.php/2018/08/23/seat-leon-cupra-st-carbon-edition-video-review/
One of his comments is that he wanted to take the R home with him. I think there is a big difference in the cars.
Does the carbon have active suspension?
The tailpipes on the carbon look to be carbon fibre. That is the same as the R.
Maybe the R is all kidology and it really is a 1.2TSi engine, and not really 4 wheel drive!!!
But it does have lots of warranty and that gives me peace of mind.

Revised camber front and rear but ride height is unchanged. However the wheels have a more aggressive offset (ET45 vs ET50) so does give a lower look through the wider track of 10mm front and rear. Rear camber is just within normal range of standard cars adjustment. Front has revised lower arms/hubs I believe to add the camber. These were developed for the Golf GTi Clubsport S and robbed from the VW Parts bin.

No 'active suspension', as active suspension changes based on loads/steering angle etc. Just the same DCC suspension as the Cupra where you can adjust the stiffness of the dampers.

If you check this thread on the exhaust they've confirmed part numbers.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/cupra-300-st-with-mk7-5-golf-estate-exhaust.453316/

There was a lot of misinformation by the press around the ABT and a 'revised' exhaust. The ABT site has been copied and pasted that suggests the ABT R ST's have a revised exhaust. They don't. That was a different car which effectively had the old 370 ABT box for none GPF cars but upgraded downpipe that upped the power to 400. This was ABT 'S'.

ThIs car:
ABT_SEAT_Leon_CUPRA_WEISS.jpg

Edit - this wasn't helped by Seat saying the R ST was going to be offered with the 370 ABT upgrade. Even as they said it, a few people on here, including myself, pointed out it couldn't be 370, as ABT only offered 350 for the GPF cars that the R ST was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve T71

Peter Puttock

Mar 9, 2020
Revised camber front and rear but ride height is unchanged. However the wheels have a more aggressive offset (ET45 vs ET50) so does give a lower look through the wider track of 10mm front and rear. Rear camber is just within normal range of standard cars adjustment. Front has revised lower arms/hubs I believe to add the camber. These were developed for the Golf GTi Clubsport S and robbed from the VW Parts bin.

No 'active suspension', as active suspension changes based on loads/steering angle etc. Just the same DCC suspension as the Cupra where you can adjust the stiffness of the dampers.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/cupra-300-st-with-mk7-5-golf-estate-exhaust.453316/

There was a lot of misinformation by the press around the ABT and a 'revised' exhaust. The ABT site has been copied and pasted that suggests the ABT R ST's have a revised exhaust. They don't. That was a different car which effectively had the old 370 ABT box for none GPF cars but upgraded downpipe that upped the power to 400. This was ABT 'S'.

ThIs car:

Edit - this wasn't helped by Seat saying the R ST was going to be offered with the 370 ABT upgrade. Even as they said it, a few people on here, including myself, pointed out it couldn't be 370, as ABT only offered 350 for the GPF cars that the R ST was.

I looked underneath and there is a VW VAG stamp on the rear exhaust boxes. And there certainly aren't any valves around the exhaust area. BTW, I thought the tail trims were carbon fibre... no they are black painted steel, or similar.
The black R's are, I reckon, the last of the old models. At the time I got mine (end August 2019) I had checked for alternative colours and only the grey was available to order. Funnily enough, they are being sold by Lechworth, which is where I got mine.
I think these other coloured cars are being supplied straight to dealers, because there is no place on the Seat or Cupra websites where you could order an R at the moment, let alone a white one.
There was an issue with this batch or R's with the WLTP figures and the way they had been measured.... (I don't think it was the problem with fixed test results), where the vehicles (150 had been imported) had to be registered by Sept 1st or be scrapped.
I also take on board the problem of measuring power with a DSG gearbox, unless you drive it manually. I do reckon that the R is producing easily 350 bhp, which is why I wanted to test it on a rolling road.
I thought the comments made on the Cupra-Net review were interesting. The implication was that there was a big difference between the Carbon and the R. (And what about the Lux?).
Anyway, I am very happy.... having owned over 100 cars, and probably 50 VAG group cars, it is the best overall performer that I have owned.
My other car is a Peugeot RCZ, which is fun and holds the road well too.
Plus 2 motorbikes.... Suzuki GSX-R1000 and GSX1250 - Top speed 186, which is fast enough.
And 2 yachts.... top speed 12 knots! (But each will accommodate 8 people!) Lol!!!!

Reactions: Steve T71

Steve T71

Jan 14, 2020

ThIs car:

Hmmmmmmmm, Nice motor that ABT S....

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
@Damo H
Where's this xxx of xxx on the interior trim ?, haven't noticed mine

See below ;)

Unlike the Cupra R 5 door, the Carbon Cupra R ST is not a limited edition, just a different model you can order. That's why you don't get a No XXX of XXX on your internal trim. However like the Carbon, Seat UK only decided only to bring a set number into the UK to give it some kind of exclusivity.

Or above as others have replied already lol

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Correct. The R ST is not a limited edition so it doesn’t have that.
It is a sudo-limited edition in the UK, as we're only getting 150. May not even get that. 50 Carbon Editions where supposed to be made for the UK, all the same spec. Only 42 made it in the end.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
It is a sudo-limited edition in the UK, as we're only getting 150. May not even get that. 50 Carbon Editions where supposed to be made for the UK, all the same spec. Only 42 made it in the end.

Yeah R ST is not a limited car. Only the R which was limited at 799 worldwide, we got around 30 here I think.

Steve T71

Jan 14, 2020
How could something So Awesome and So practical , sellable and reasonable value be limited ;-)

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Yeah from what I remember with discussions with my dealer last year, ’up to’ 150 were coming to the U.K.
They didn’t know how many would be ordered so they couldn’t number them.

Seems like there are a lot about though, it’s the most common ST on a Facebook group I follow.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Sorry, 1600 cars
The fact they've not numbered them, tells me they'll sell as many as they can, and don't expect to sell 1600. I'd still call that marketing BS though.

But the other thing that throws a spanner in the works is the parts. I jumped through hoops to get hold a pair of R grills in 2018. Caused a bit of an issue.

However more recently everyone started to be able to get them, with little or no issue. When the Cupra R owners kicked off with SEAT and SEAT UK that Cupra R parts where being bought by anyone and everyone, their response was that as the Cupra R ST was not a limited edition the parts were freely avaiable.

To my knowledge now the only parts that will be difficult to source are the Carbon fibre diffuser on the R 5 door, and the wide arch kit. These 2 things are the only bits now exclusive to the R. (The Carbon Fibre spoiler can be found on other non limited edition models).

But none of this matters. If you have one just be happy, whether its 1 of 24, 699, 1600. Who cares :)