Leon or Ateca

Feb 7, 2020
Hey guys, I'm having the biggest dilemma ever. I'm about to buy a new car, I have two under 4 year olds (so 2x car seats). I'm currently driving a huge luxurious saloon. Long story short, it has been out of warranty for a while now and maintenance cost is quite steep - no surprise though. Now is the right time to get rid of it; despite having a huge long boot, it doesn't offer a hatchback practicality. Comfort wise, I won't get anything as close, it comes with air suspension and all sorts of gadgets.

I'm now in the market for something a little smaller, newer and much faster. I couldn't get the A45 because the boot is too small. I didn't want the S3 because I don't like the looks and it is way overpriced. At first I wanted a Golf R, however they are all super poverty spec; a decent one with winter / comfort / convenience pack works out £5k more expensive than an equivalent Cupra - so I got rid of Golf R from my list. Oh and for me the car had to come from the main dealer as I don't want any third party warranties from other garages as in my experience they are utter useless: AA, WarrantyWise, RAC, etc.

My search has been narrowed to either a diesel Ateca Xcellence or a Cupra (pre facelift). Ateca has all the toys. Cupra has all the fun. I drive 80% of the time on A roads.

The big question. Is Cupra good enough as a family car to carry some pushchairs and kids around for two years? I heard from elsewhere that Cupra's adaptive suspension is miles ahead of Ateca (someone compared the two and the whole forum joined to say the same).

What is your advice on the two? What would you have taken now if you had a choice between these two?

Also, what would you have chosen as an extra option on your current car if you could?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have 1 kid and a Leon and i would want something bigger if i had 2 kids 100% the Leon has a ridiculously high lip on the boot.

For me for your needs i would completely discount the Leon. Unless you were looking at the Estate version that is

Cupra622

May 9, 2020
I've got two little people and have found the hatchback OK, having said that I'm trading it in for the cupra st purely for the boot space as they are fewer getting bigger.....im sure someone told me as they grow up you carry less stuff around.... Not the case with my pair..... Wish I'd have gone for the estate sooner...

Feb 14, 2020
If you are more after practicality and comfort go for Ateca ( I am Leon FR owner). If the sporty look and better handling is more important to you, than buy Leon. But in your situation, I would go for Ateca for sure.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I've got a 2 year old and a 7 month old, I use an icandy orange which is a large chassis pram, I could get the pram and one of the buggy seats in the Leon and maybe a bag or 2 of shopping, I could probably get both buggy seats in if I took out the parcel shelf.

For practically my Mrs changed her 1 series to an Hyundai Tucson, can get both seats and pram and quite a bit of shopping etc in the boot no sweat.

As others have said go Estate or Ateca, big boot is great for kids especially if you go on trips and you need to take prams, luggage etc.

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
If you want a huge boot and want a saloon shape why not get a Skoda Superb 280/272ps? The boot is bigger than an Ateca or a Leon ST in saloon form, but if you need more space the Superb estate is cavernous. Plus the rear seat space is huge so you won't struggle for space when messing around with 2 child seats.

Feb 7, 2020
Hi all, thank you for such a prompt response. I'll forget about the Leon Cupra for now then and will concentrate on the Ateca instead as I do require more space - just wanted to hear opinions of those with kids who own a Leon hatchback.

Feb 7, 2020
I have a couple of small kids and a Cupra ST, perfect match in my opinion, plenty of space in the boot and a blast to drive.
I think an ST version would suit me better indeed, however if I went for an ST I'd want the 4Drive version. Can't get any decent offers on these at the moment, not even via CarWow.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
If you're bothered about space with 2 kids consider this:

Leon 5 door boot capacity: 380 Litres

Ateca 4Drive boot capacity: 485 Litres

Ateca FWD boot capacity: 510 Litres

Leon ST boot capacity (all models including 4drive): 587 Litres

Reactions: Jazzjames

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
If space is important I would go with the Leon ST. I recently had a Cupra Ateca for the day and was disappointed with the boot space compared to my ST. I think with the amount of stuff we normally take family holidays would be a struggle without a roof box.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
The Ateca boot is small in length, i was shocked when i lifted the tailgate up on one, and looks a lot smaller than the numbers suggest.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
The Ateca boot isnt that big. We have a 4Drive and its quite shallow as well. We have a 4 year old daughter and have been debating getting an ST for the bigger boot (although we do also have a van so its not a massive problem). It depends what you want really. If we had the choice again we'd get the Cupra ST.

Reactions: Damo H

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The main problem with the Leon Hatch boot is the loading lip it is very high and my missus does struggle to get the pram in over the lip, if the loading area was lower wouldn’t be as bad.

Feb 7, 2020
Hey everyone. Thank you so much for such invaluable advice! This is what the forums are made for and I appreciate your feedback. It really helped me to make my mind up about what to get. It goes without saying that a Leon hatchback and an Ateca is no longer an option, considering the fact that the boot space isn't quite as big and if I want an Ateca then it would need to be 4Drive, otherwise might as well get a Rav4 or an Xtrail which offers FWD with all the toys, reliability and value for money - but I don't want these two.

I'll need to reconsider getting a Leon ST for my family. I really want the Cupra ST with 4Drive but they're quite steep at the moment.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hey everyone. Thank you so much for such invaluable advice! This is what the forums are made for and I appreciate your feedback. It really helped me to make my mind up about what to get. It goes without saying that a Leon hatchback and an Ateca is no longer an option, considering the fact that the boot space isn't quite as big and if I want an Ateca then it would need to be 4Drive, otherwise might as well get a Rav4 or an Xtrail which offers FWD with all the toys, reliability and value for money - but I don't want these two.

I'll need to reconsider getting a Leon ST for my family. I really want the Cupra ST with 4Drive but they're quite steep at the moment.
Nearly new or use CarWow. With the Mk4 coming out soon its worth haggling a bit :)

Reactions: seatgraham

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Nearly new or use CarWow. With the Mk4 coming out soon its worth haggling a bit :)
Also look at other brokers. I got my ST 4drive through motorsourcegroup - much cheaper than carwow or elsewhere last year.
Depending on your profession, they have good deals on some models.
I don't have any affiliation with them, but happy with the customer service and price.

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
I have 2 kids, 4yo and a 6yo and have a cupra 300 ST, plenty big enough for push chairs etc... But depends what else u want to carry. I will be changing mine in 12-18 months... As we go camping and the ST isnt quite big enough even with a roof box. Looking at kodiaq sportline or vrs next.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The main problem with the Leon Hatch boot is the loading lip it is very high and my missus does struggle to get the pram in over the lip, if the loading area was lower wouldn’t be as bad.
ST has the variable boot floor so no lip; I also specified the cargo net option, so that you can use the space between the top of the seats and the roof when required.

I love my Cupra ST, previously owned the Octavia VRS estate whilst the kids were little - double buggy or two buggies swallowed up with ease, with space remaining for additional luggage/shopping.

Fast estates worth considering include: 245ps Octavia VRS wagon, 280ps Superb Sportline, ST Focus and BMW 3 Series F31 (low mileage previous generation M Sport Shadow Editions at 6 months old c.50% of list price).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise