Who looks after your car

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
Just out of interest as I just found that unicorn of the car maintenance and repair world, a little independent garage run by a 75 year old guy with 2 mechanics tucked away in a back street for the last 49 years, who doesn't do card payments, charges reasonable rates, doesn't like to quote until he sees the car, won't promise when it will be done then rings you back in record time to say it's ready. They do MOTs for £30 and the whole workshop is spotless, no computer just a diary, two 4-posters and a pit.

So ...
Obviously we have a lot of DIY mechanics here but when it's beyond you or you CBA, who sees your car?
Main dealer
Unicorn
A mate
Just anyone you can get to
???

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I have found a little indy near me, he races type-R civics and we have a lot in common. He lets me use the ramps if I need them (I pay a fee for the use as I dont expect anything for free!) but when its beyond my capabilities I am confident he is not ripping me off and is doing a good job and he puts up with me breaking my car and trying to do thing myself and then calls me a muppet and fixes it for me. I think its hard to find a good garage these days.

Reactions: Maria

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I don't have anywhere to work on my car so minor jobs on the street , everything else I pay a local garage to do - hence not much ever gets done.

Reactions: Maria

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
For many years now, I'm 73, worked as a mechanic for the first half of my working life and kept all my tools and a passion for cars. I've done pretty much all my own "stuff" from services to clutches to almost anything and it's been good fun. Just of late though I'm having to admit that some "stuff" is becoming enough of a challenge to these old bones that it's no longer fun to do. I've known the lads at AVW Autocentre here in Edinburgh since they opened (one of the owners is married to a mate's daughter) and they have helped me out a couple of times in the past and I'm very impressed with their work. I've heard good reports from others about them too. Early next year my Ibiza (with the wee 95 hp 3 cyl turbo petrol engine) will be needing it's cam belt done It's not worth buying the timing tool kit just to do the one car and endure the inevitable arthritic and sciatic pain involved it's also an engine which I have little experience of (although I do the services on it) so that's where it'll be going and I'm very confident they will do a cracking job for me. If it's a VAG vehicle I'd be taking it there. Worth trying them for other makes too. I've seen the occasional "other make" in there but it's predominantly VAG orientated.

I also piddle about with small Fiats and various other cars (there are 6 in the "family fleet") and a couple of years ago I stumbled upon Harrison Motors in Jane Street trading estate Leith who, although a general workshop, specialize in Fiats. They are very much a wee family garage with Kenny Harrison the boss and his son running it and a small team helping out. They recently fitted a new clutch master cylinder to my boy's 2012 Punto. Which for anyone who hasn't done one, is a real swine of a job. They made a very reasonable charge at the end of it all and the mechanic showed me his wounds!

So, between these two and my own abilities, I think that'll do me.

PS Seastormer I've also heard more than one recommendation for your Fife Seat people. In fact I believe my Ibiza, which I bought through a 3rd party, originated there.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I tend to buy my cars just out of warranty. I do all the maintenance myself unless I need a bit of help with tight bolts and stuff occasionally. Change the oil every 6,000 miles, brake fluid every 20,000 and generally keep an eye on it. I refuse to have anything to do with dealerships, they're largely incompetent rip-off merchants in my experience and I'll find a good independent if I need anything doing that I can't do.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members