Cupra 300 DSG Advise please

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
HI all, long time since i have been on here. Sold my Leon FR Supercopa few years back. Currently in an Audi A3 Saloon 2.0 TDI 150 - Lovely car just boring.

Anyway, I need some advise

68 Plate Cupra 300 DSG 5 door. I am thinking of buying this car.

Can anyone give me some good owner advice for and against. (it does have the resonator - does this kill the car performance and sound)

I know everyone is busy, but would really appreciate some info.

Should i look for a 280 or 290 model instead? Which is best?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
My 2p:

DSG is the right choice if you plan on tuning. As said elsewhere the manual clutches are like chocolate (although some will blame drivers) and are will need upgrading if you go stage 1.

Although I prefer the standard bumpers of the 280/290, the 300 is the better overall and has more bits you can buy to personalise it.

300 Facelift - Better interior, larger 8" nav screen, opportunity to have the virtual cockpit which is great. But unless you go for a GPF Copper car you won't get the central rev counter. There are a few none copper versions of this car, but not many.

290 Facelift - As above but has the GPF so revised engine and quieter than above. However it does have the better Virtual Cockpit with the cnetral rev counter.

290 - Still has the upgraded MIB2 nav unit of the facelift cars, but only a 6.5" screen (think that is right). Also still has the revised exhaust (1 resonator, 1 silencer). If you can get a black edition you can get the buckets seats too.

280 - Earlier cars will have the older MIB1 nav unit and a 5.5" screen, one to avoid, having had one. However they all have the quieter exhaust (1 resonator, 2 x silencers).

Personally I'd be aiming to get a none GPF 300 car with Virtual Cockpit.

Reactions: Notleks

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I have a 2017 Cupra 300 the first thing I did was delete the resonator because it was far too quiet for my liking. I have the pan roof and bucket seats on mine. Desire red is a beautiful colour mileages is decent too for the car you are looking at if you have the finance I would definitely say go for it.
Thank you for the above mate, much appreciated. So i get all of what your saying. But what does this mean:

"But unless you go for a GPF Copper car you won't get the central rev counter. There are a few none copper versions of this car, but not many."

This is the car i am looking at and have been for a while: https://www.fifeseat.co.uk/used-cars/11249200-seat-leon-2.0-tsi-cupra-300-ps-dsg/

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thank you for the above mate, much appreciated. So i get all of what your saying. But what does this mean:

"But unless you go for a GPF Copper car you won't get the central rev counter. There are a few none copper versions of this car, but not many."

At the end of 2018, due to changes in emissions, the cars engines and exhaust systems were revised. This meant the FWD 5 door dropped from 300 to 290. This was due to a GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter) also known as a PPF (Petrol Particulate Filter) being fitted to further reduce emissions. These are fitted after the standard Catalyst. There are also some revisions to the injection systems but won;t bore you with those details.

So as part of these changes Seat also introduced some other changes to the trim, this included the Copper S badges. The two upgrades that were good (In my opinion) where the change to a 7 speed gearbox (7th for motorway cruising, emissions and MPG) and an updated Virtual Cockpit that included 2 extra views:

Central Rev Counter:
upload_2020-5-12_13-35-21.png

Dials up the edges:
upload_2020-5-12_13-36-31.png

The earlier VC models Have 3 views instead of 5: Normal Dials, full map and a weird hybrid one.

So this is an earlier 300, so no Virtual Cockpit at all, just the traditional mechanical dials :)

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
Thanks mate, hope that didnt take you too long. So the car in the link. Is it of good spec / or would you suggest something else?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks mate, hope that didnt take you too long. So the car in the link. Is it of good spec / or would you suggest something else?
Spec is subjective to be honest. The cars are sped very well as standard. But for example:

My old 280 was an ex dealer demo. It have every option box ticked except for Panoramic Sun Roof, Bucket Seats and the Sub8 Pack (Brakes).

My Carbon Edition has no options above a standard 300 ST 4 Drive apart from the special editions bits (Big Brakes, Bucket Seats, Carbon Fibre bits). However as it has the updated MIB2 8" Nav and the Virtual Cockpit its a very different car to me and has the only 2 options I was actually bothered about when getting the 280. I don;t miss the full leather, Automatic Cruise Control, High Beam Assist, Lane Assist etc etc

So spec wise you have to look at a brochure and see if it doesn't have anything you feel you really want.

The one thing with that car that would annoy my OCD, is the lack of heated seats. Not that I couldn't live without them, but the fact there are 2 blanks on the centre console that would be buttons:
upload_2020-5-12_14-18-15.png

But yeah nice colour and these cars are well spec'd compared to the likes of a Golf as standard :)

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
Again thank you for the detail.

Heated seats isn’t an issue for me. Had them in both my Audi and BMW and don’t think I have ever had them on lol

I like the cupra. Just this 300/290 exhaust and sound is bothering me. I want to be able to hear the car which I don’t think I will be able to

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Heated seats isn’t an issue for me. Had them in both my Audi and BMW and don’t think I have ever had them on lol

I like the cupra. Just this 300/290 exhaust and sound is bothering me. I want to be able to hear the car which I don’t think I will be able to

The car in question has the loudest exhaust of all the standard cars. The only car that is louder in any significant way would be the Cupra #R.

However you can soon get a res delete if it still isn't loud enough for you :)

https://progressiveparts.com/vagsport-seat-leon-cupra-300-resonator-delete-pipe-kit

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
LAST QUESTION I PROMISE

I have twin girls at 3. So 2 car seats always in the back, change find anything to compare but coming from an Audi A3 saloon I imagine back seat room to be on par?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
LAST QUESTION I PROMISE

I have twin girls at 3. So 2 car seats always in the back, change find anything to compare but coming from an Audi A3 saloon I imagine back seat room to be on par?

I have the ST but the rear leg room wouldn’t be any different. She’s 5 and has long legs and has no issues sitting behind my wife in the passenger seat. But behind me would be a bit tight. I’m only 5’11” but I’m all legs. An adult can sit behind me just about, but depending on the angle your kids legs are at due to the chair it maybe more of an issue.

When her legs are a little longer I reckon they’ll dangle down better. And it’ll be less of an issue.

As for boot room, with 2 kids I’d recommend the ST over the hatch.

Reactions: Norbert and Notleks

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

MK3 Cupra's aren't necessarily loud cars as standard as compared with their equivalent cousins.

The 280 didn't come with a sports exhaust. The DSG did bang but the car was silent as stock. The manual even worse so (I had one)

The preface lift (pfl)290 and the 300 have the loudest unique DSG fart. So if sound is on your list DSG is a serious consideration.
The pfl 290 was more unique. The sound matured on the 300.
These cars do come with a sports exhaust and crackle on downshift too.

The facelift (fl) 290 with the GPF has the loudest growl as stock. This crackles on downshift too. Unfortunately though the DSG fart is muted compared with the pfl 290/300. It's still there but not as loud.

If you are going to start trying to make them louder by deleting resonators it opens the 280 option back up. You can get good results with the pfl 290 and 300. Not sure with the fl290 I've not been overly convinced by the results. Mostly likely down to how the GPF changes the exhaust design.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
Again, thank you for the above.

All i am looking for is the car to sound nice. Nothing boy racerish, but just a nice deep sound. And i 100% need an auto as my next car. Changing gear is a pain in the ***** and my audi clutch is made of chocolate. Had to be replaced at 24k.

I am lucky in the sense my kids are 3. So no more buggies. Just Scooters now. So the hatchback is fine for this. Even when my kids do go for bikes, i will never EVER put a bike rack onto a car. EVER.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Just to chime in re: how the car sounds

I have a Facelift 290 with GPF, and although the DSG farts aren't as loud as previous models, you can still definitely hear them. I'm still under 1k miles and if I'm driving the car hard the pops and bangs are definitely noticeable. Unless you want that modded car sound, the stock sound on the 290 is spot on. Not quiet, but not obnoxiously loud either.

It's subtle, but that's how I like it.

Turning down the sound actuator is a must, too. The fake engine noise is terrible - I turned it down to 20% and it's much better.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks Jack. Its the 300 i am looking at (DSG). Although i do have a test drive in a white 290 at 1500 today.

Good luck with your choice mate. I originally wanted a mystery blue 290 but glad I stuck with white.

I'm usually not a fan of red cars but the desire red cupra looks lovely.

Honestly whichever one you get I'm sure you'll love.

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
Well
I had a test drive today. Cupra 290 DSG. Link in the post

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002287832129

l
ovely car. Super quick, could not believe how long it holds onto 2nd gear in Cupra mode. The grip it has for a FWD was superb

car did sound good but am not sure if this is pre or post the exhaust filter thing lol.

the car does have a lot of plastic inside & the difference in quality to my A3 saloon is clear to see. I just need to decide now if the cupra and the power is what I want.