Rubbing or grinding noise from front wheels

Superbund

Feb 15, 2017
Just had both front tyres changed a few weeks ago. Due to working from home i havent used the car very much but went out and can hear a slight rubbing noise when drving from the front wheels, theres no noise when i brake so those seem fine. Can the brake dust shields get mis aligned when the tyres get changed as im thinking they now might be rubbing against the disk ?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
They might have got knocked although are you sure that it is not just rust on the discs, have you washed the car or had any rain since getting these tyres changed?

If it is just rust from rain water landing on the discs, then it will wear off when you apply the brakes a few times.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I'd say its from lack of use / rain water rusting the surface of the disc. Go drive for a few mins and apply the brakes, it should go away.

I did have to get the shield behind my disc changed last week as 2 of the bolt holes out of 3 had broken so it was hitting the disc when driving. It doesnt make a rubbing noise tho, it sounded like my exhaust was trailing along the ground.

webb204

May 19, 2015
Its common for the dust shields to corrode at the mounts and fall off , as mentioned above

Superbund

Feb 15, 2017
Its not the normal surface rust noise that i get after washing the car as thats normally when i brake and goes after a few brake attempts. This noise seems to only be at a certain interval so must be when the wheels rotating at a certain point. Drove the car today on 60mph road for 5 mins and its still there. Hoping it just needs something simple like a little adjustment

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
If there is a grinding noise when free wheeling but the noise stops when you apply the brakes it could be a caliper/pad sticking, a disc has warped, a pad is disintegrating or (less likely) a wheel bearing.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.