Hello to you all! New Mk1 Cupra R owner

May 19, 2020
Hello everyone! Thanks for having me. Recently bought a Black Mk1 Cupra R (see profile pic) and it's fair to say...

I'm loving it already! Only had it for a few weeks and was in a bit of a state when I bought it, got a bit stung (so any advice or help will be much appreciated). Mainly I've joined to get involved in discussions and gain some technical knowledge as well as practical skills.

More work to do on it until I'm happy to start playing around with the performance. Next job on the list is a new rocker cover gasket and the one after that will probably be restoring the underneath a bit (got some rusty bits I might look at changing).

I have some understanding of basic mechanics but would love to learn from someone/anyone who knows?

Hope I can connect with some local owners in the Midlands, would be good to see some of your motors!

Thanks

Last edited:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Welcome to the community. You are more than welcome here.

Amazing choice in car, most people here (me included) have a soft spot for the MK1 LCR and you'll find many owners here.

I'm sure you've found the correct forum already. We also run meets (and will do again when the situation has got back to some kind of normal).

If you ever want some more cheap "mods" for your car we also have a merch store.

Thanks again for registering :)

Cheers,

Scott

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Hello everyone! Thanks for having me. Recently bought a Black Mk1 Cupra R (see profile pic) and it's fair to say...

I'm loving it already! Only had it for a few weeks and was in a bit of a state when I bought it, got a bit stung (so any advice or help will be much appreciated). Mainly I've joined to get involved in discussions and gain some technical knowledge as well as practical skills.

More work to do on it until I'm happy to start playing around with the performance. Next job on the list is a new rocker cover gasket and the one after that will probably be restoring the underneath a bit (got some rusty bits I might look at changing).

I have some understanding of basic mechanics but would love to learn from someone/anyone who knows?

Hope I can connect with some local owners in the Midlands, would be good to see some of your motors!

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. I too have a Mk1 LCR. Best car ever, you won’t be disappointed.
Mine isn’t modified in anyway but there’s loads of advice on here from people who have done loads of work to their cars.
I don’t even service mine myself I use a Specialst so probably won’t be of much help to you but you’ll have fun I’m sure.

Reactions: Syphon

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Hi & Welcome

I own the roughest LCR in the South East and possibly the country...In my case LCR stands for "Last Chance Really" - This is bloody good forum and many good folks on here.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi.
So you’re mad like the rest of us. Either you bought he LCR as a cheap weapon or due to lockdown you’ve gone slightly mad and now want to throw buckets of money about at something.
No in honestly, great choice.
Hope it’s not a pig.
They can become expensive fast.
Fingers crossed.
Blacks a good colour too. NOt as good as silver but not bad.
You’ve definitely found the best site to glean info from.
Decent bunch of guys on here, except the guy in the yellow T shirt.
My thread shows how these cars can bleed you dry
I had to change lots including turbo and VVT tensioner to name a few parts.
Rest was optional.
Now in so deep I can never sell.
Great car hope you get miles of smiles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

May 19, 2020
Thank you for all your replies and warm welcome people, didn't expect so many! Maybe I have gone slightly mad but have always wanted to learn some proper mechanics and thought that a beast of a machine like this would be a great place to start.

Also I am a welder by trade so hopefully I may be able to offer my help to some of you although I don't have any equipment at the minute. I am quite handy with the TIG/mig torch and especially thin stainless. So who knows maybe a favour for a favour one day?

Happy to help anyone if I can, even if its just an extra pair of hands you need

Reactions: Sparkie
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.