Boot Dents

May 21, 2020
Hello all. Recently purchased a Leon hatch which was spotless. More recently noticed some small dents appearing around the boot where you would normally push down to close. About 8 of them in a line. It doesnt always close first time so....

Do you think because i have to close it harder im creating these dents? Is there a bar right behind where im pushing making it worse? How do i get the boot to close without requiring such force?

Opinions welcome. If you need more info happy to provide.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Sounds like your latch or bump stops may be mis-adjusted. Certainly on our ST, the tailgate only needs an initial effort to overcome the holding force of the gas struts and pretty much closes itself by gravity after that. It certainly doesn't need any extra persuasion to latch first time.

Reactions: Curryboarder

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
If I understand what you're saying correctly you don't need to push anywhere to close the lid. You should use the grab handles that are on the inside of the lid.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The tailgate should just close under its own weight. If you need to shove it there is something wrong. Get it fixed before you ruin the panel!

Dent master type guys are really good. If you're lucky you'll be able to get the dents taken out.

May 21, 2020
The tailgate should just close under its own weight. If you need to shove it there is something wrong. Get it fixed before you ruin the panel!

Dent master type guys are really good. If you're lucky you'll be able to get the dents taken out.

Thanks. Had them out and they can fix them. Unfortunately using the handle is a bit tricky for the wife. And me if im honest. So clearly a boot closing issue. Any idea how to make it close easier? It doesnt seem to be the catch. What other thin

May 21, 2020
Sounds like your latch or bump stops may be mis-adjusted. Certainly on our ST, the tailgate only needs an initial effort to overcome the holding force of the gas struts and pretty much closes itself by gravity after that. It certainly doesn't need any extra persuasion to latch first time.

Ta. Sorry missed this comment when replying. Will try playing with them. Great forum. Really helpful...

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Get some kitchen towel and clean the strut and then spray some WD40 on the shaft. This should sort it.

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
on my ST I always use a couple of fingers only on the wiper motor spindle, just enough to give it momentum not stress anything. I don't like to touch anything on the paintwork as it marks so easily due to soft paint.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Curryboarder; as @Seriously? has said it sounds as if the tailgate latch could be slightly out of alignment on your car which could be the reason the tailgate’s difficult to close, or possibly the rubber screw-in bump stops might need adjusting (screwing them a little further inwards)? As others have said, the tailgate should close easily, so unless a previous owner had stronger gas struts fitted for some reason (unlikely) which would require more force to close the tailgate, then it does suggest there’s a possible misalignment issue.

I think all the cars I’ve owned in the last 30 years or so have had inside grab handles on the tailgate and I’ve always used them. From memory, it did seem a little awkward to do this at first, but for me it soon became the most natural way to close the tailgate. As well as removing the risk of inflicting dent damage - or paintwork swirls and scratches when the tailgate’s dirty - by using the inside grab handles you don’t get dirty hands when the rear of the car gets wet and dirty, as so often happens in the UK. Worth persevering with IMO.

May 21, 2020
Thanks for all the responses. All taken on board. I cringe too now. Just never thought about it which is really out of character. Ive got car care OCD.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If its difficult to close due to the latch surely it would be difficult to open ?

Might be a bit of a clunk when you pop the lever? It could be hard to close for a few reasons. Latch not lined up right, seals too tight, bumpers not set right etc.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.