Cupra 290 service

Peter 87

Aug 23, 2011
Just had major service done by Seat. Everything was changed apart from the fuel filter. When I asked about it the lad said they don't get changed on any petrol cars and will last for the life of the car. Is this correct?

mindthecap

Nov 27, 2018
That's correct but as I recall "lifelong" has different meaning for every car maker. Usually it means 150k to 300k km.
Second thing is that if main dealer refuses to do some work, you can always go to 3rd party and have them do it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Peter 87

Aug 23, 2011
He said he would get me a price for a filter. Just thought it was strange. I've always change the fuel filter every 12 months on all cars I've owned in the past.

Peter 87

Aug 23, 2011
How much did it cost? And was it at 12 months?

The service? I have a service plan but on receipt its £299 for a major service. And 12 months for what service? I also get a service at 12 months on all cars I own.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Fuel filters on petrol cars do seem to be disappearing, well in as much as the old school in line filters that could easily be accessed and replaced, my 2011 Audi S4 for example does not have a visible in line filter, same for my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI.

Even back in the mid 2000's if/when I went to buy a new petrol filter for my 2000 VW Passat 2.8V6 30V or my wife's 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V 75PS, the parts had to be ordered in from VW warehouse as by then these were not stocked spare parts, these parts were only to be normally replaced if suspected of being the root cause to an engine problem - so this, in VW Group world is not a new thing, fuel filters in petrol cars have not been included in regular service schedules for almost 20 years.

Reactions: Peter 87

Invertigo

Nov 19, 2019
I suspect pump petrol for the last 20 or so years has been much, much cleaner than in the past. I did a service on my dads 98 5 series a couple of years ago, it still had the factory fuel filter on dated 07/98. Cut it open with some snips after leaving it for a few days to dry out and, honestly, it still looked pretty clean. My 2004 Z4 doesn't even have a factory fit inline filter, the only filter BMW used is the one in the tank.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members