Tuning box for fr 1.4 150

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Hi all,

Looking for peoples opinions on tuning boxes, specifically for an fr 1.4 150.

Dont want to go down the remap route so I can avoid td1 for future warranty/goodwill claims.

Looking online it's a bit of a mine field, prices range from £140 from racechip to £400 elsewhere. Dont have any experience with these only had recaps previously so would appreciate so suggestions/opinions.

Reactions: Jon Wright

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
I ran the racechip for 2 years on my 2017 Leon 1.4 TSI. Never had any problems with it in that time. And it made a huge difference.
Like you I was budget conscious and mine was a lease car so wanted something that was easily removed at end of term.
Takes 5 mins to fit. I think all tuning boxes work off the same plugs.
Recommended.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Sorry to jump on your post with no valued input, but i am also looking into this for my FR 150
I ran the racechip for 2 years on my 2017 Leon 1.4 TSI. Never had any problems with it in that time. And it made a huge difference.
Like you I was budget conscious and mine was a lease car so wanted something that was easily removed at end of term.
Recommended.

Did your MPG increase/decrease whilst using your racechip?

Reactions: Sword

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Sorry to jump on your post with no valued input, but i am also looking into this for my FR 150

Did your MPG increase/decrease whilst using your racechip?
I've never measured real world MPG, but yes the dash readout was giving a slightly higher MPG, but this could just be the chip tricking the software. I wouldn't rely on it.
MPG was not a concern for me, those engines are so frugal anyway.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Recommended.

Thanks for that.

£140 for an extra 30hp is certainly tempting.

Installation couldn't be much easier and can be removed if needed. Good to know you noticed a huge difference.

Not allowed to go on holiday this year so this is perfectly acceptable to treat the little 1.4 to some extra horses :)

Jon Wright

Apr 17, 2020
Hi, would this work on my 1.4 tsi 125 bhp Leon fr 2017,? Worth it? And meant to ask where can I get it

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Recommended.

Which chip did you use? Choice of 3.Ta.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Hi, would this work on my 1.4 tsi 125 bhp Leon fr 2017,? Worth it? And meant to ask where can I get it

Racechip.co.uk have a box available for your engine.

That's just an example I'm sure there are many more out there available for your engine.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
I've never measured real world MPG, but yes the dash readout was giving a slightly higher MPG, but this could just be the chip tricking the software. I wouldn't rely on it.
MPG was not a concern for me, those engines are so frugal anyway.

Lol i'm almost certain the dash gives a false reading of MPG anyway, unless i'm just sh1t at maths.

Thanks for that.

£140 for an extra 30hp is certainly tempting.

Installation couldn't be much easier and can be removed if needed. Good to know you noticed a huge difference.

Not allowed to go on holiday this year so this is perfectly acceptable to treat the little 1.4 to some extra horses :)

Me too, it seems reasonably priced. Although i'm saving money to furnish my house when i move in in August (Hopefully) so she might have something to say about that.. if she finds out..

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Lol i'm almost certain the dash gives a false reading of MPG anyway, unless i'm just sh1t at maths.

Me too, it seems reasonably priced. Although i'm saving money to furnish my house when i move in in August (Hopefully) so she might have something to say about that.. if she finds out..

Haha, if you have a joint account then stock spec it will stay I guess, if you have seperate accounts then its still cheaper than buying a cupra lol

Jon Wright

Apr 17, 2020
Racechip.co.uk have a box available for your engine.

That's just an example I'm sure there are many more out there available for your engine.
Thanks anything you'd recommend

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'd love to know what the long term implications are of putting an extra 30bhp trough a, engine and transmission that wasn't designed for it. I can't see it being good. After all, VW could've made a 180bhp 1.4 engine but they didn't. I'm guessing there is a reason for that.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
I'd love to know what the long term implications are of putting an extra 30bhp trough a, engine and transmission that wasn't designed for it. I can't see it being good. After all, VW could've made a 180bhp 1.4 engine but they didn't. I'm guessing there is a reason for that.
You may have a point. But mine was from new on a 2 year lease. I did 25k miles in it. I never abuse my engines and always make sure they are at the proper oil temperature before giving high revs. Always service regularly.

I'd like to think the current owner of that car is still motoring happy.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester

Sure there is always a risk but I've had remaps done before and no harm was done.
I spent 7k on a car which I kept totally standard and had to sell it on webuyanycar after 16 months and it was too uneconomical to repair. Hoping my bad luck with cars is behind me after that experience.

The extra 50nm of torque might lower the life of the gearbox and clutch in the long run but I hope the care and attention I give my cars will keep the the engine ticking over just fine.

In the odd chance I win the lottery I will then not think about a remap or chip :D

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The extra 50nm of torque might lower the life of the gearbox and clutch in the long run but I hope the care and attention I give my cars will keep the the engine ticking over just fine.

Maybe about a year ago I was thinking about getting a Ford Fiesta, because they're supposed to be great to drive and I've never owned a Ford. Ended up canning the idea because...well, it's a Ford!

But anyway. I happened to buy Fast Ford magazine and there was an article in it about a tuning company who could get 150bhp out of the 1L Ecoboost engine. They chipped it and changed and changed a few other bits which added about 30bhp to the car. I had been looking at Fiesta S cars with the Ecoboost engine so just out of curiosity, I gave them a call.

Guy basically said 'Yeah, you can get that engine up to 150bhp, but don't!'. I said 'Hang on, you sell the mods to do this but you're telling me not to do it?' and he said 'Yip'.

He said 'If you want a 150bhp car, buy a 150bhp car. Buy the ST. Yes, we can boost the 'S' but there are a lot of other differences. The ST has a stronger gearbox, different engine parts. It's designed to take the power out of the box. If you boost the 'S' yes, it will work but it's not going to be as reliable. Good chance in the long run, you'll break stuff.'

This was the guy who provided the car for the magazine article where they went on about how cool and great these mods were. This was the guy who sells these mods telling me not to do it!

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Maybe about a year ago I was thinking about getting a Ford Fiesta, because they're supposed to be great to drive and I've never owned a Ford. Ended up canning the idea because...well, it's a Ford!

But anyway. I happened to buy Fast Ford magazine and there was an article in it about a tuning company who could get 150bhp out of the 1L Ecoboost engine. They chipped it and changed and changed a few other bits which added about 30bhp to the car. I had been looking at Fiesta S cars with the Ecoboost engine so just out of curiosity, I gave them a call.

Guy basically said 'Yeah, you can get that engine up to 150bhp, but don't!'. I said 'Hang on, you sell the mods to do this but you're telling me not to do it?' and he said 'Yip'.

He said 'If you want a 150bhp car, buy a 150bhp car. Buy the ST. Yes, we can boost the 'S' but there are a lot of other differences. The ST has a stronger gearbox, different engine parts. It's designed to take the power out of the box. If you boost the 'S' yes, it will work but it's not going to be as reliable. Good chance in the long run, you'll break stuff.'

This was the guy who provided the car for the magazine article where they went on about how cool and great these mods were. This was the guy who sells these mods telling me not to do it!
Without a doubt it's a risk and I would love to have a 200 hp car again unfortunately due to moving a year ago it's not possible.

Asked for suggestions here to see everyone's experiences with these as I've generally heard positive reviews.

I feel a little more comfortable putting the extra hp in a 4 cylinder than I would any 3 cylinder engine from my experience working in the motor trade but I do understand where you are coming and if I had the choice I wouldn't be going down this route.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
A mild remap / tuning box i wouldn’t bee too concerned.

anything more then things start to break, different turbo’s etc then you are just talking money.

i had a fabia vrs 130 stock running 220 and it was forever breaking down.

was much fun though but v expensive. Used the brain when i grew up and bought a fast car out of the box to replace it (330d)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.