Digital Cockpit and polarised sunglasses

Invertigo

Nov 19, 2019
How does the digital cockpit in these cars play with polarised glasses? I need some new prescription sunnies and was considering polarised for the numerout benefits, but I'm aware they can make it impossible to read screens when viewed at certain angles.

Obviously, with the entire instrument cluster a screen, this could be an issue! Does anyone have any experience of the above?

ExInferis

Feb 18, 2020
I've had no issues with my polarised sunnies (two pairs of completely different origin) on my Digital cockpit. I'm assuming there's an industry standard or agreement between these two types of manufacturers! My luck with this stuff has been way better than 50/50. You should be fine.

Invertigo

Nov 19, 2019
Makes sense, I know sunglasses have the polarisation applied vertically so I can only assume any filters on the screens are at a 45 degree angle or so

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
There has been a significant amount improvement in glass cockpit technology in recent years, much of which has been transferred over from the aviation industry - reliability, viewing angles, use of polarised optics, what type and how the information is displayed.

As others have said no problem whatsoever with the used of polarised sunglasses in the current generation of infotainment/digital dash screens.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
No problem here with Polarised lenses. All Oakley in our case, but my 2 pairs and the wife's par are fine :) Don't even have issues with the central 8" screen.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.