Advice on buying MK3 Leon FR

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What make of tyres has it got, you can always tell the cars that the owners don’t care about they will be running linglong chyna badboys or an other junk brand tyre

Reactions: Mr Pig and Walone

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
What make of tyres has it got, you can always tell the cars that the owners don’t care about they will be running linglong chyna badboys or an other junk brand tyre

Looks like bridgestones so might as well have been lol.

To be fair searching autotrader and pistonheads there does seem to be a lack of 184's dsg's going and most are about £11/12k+, a few estates that are cheaper and some 150's.
However the more pricier ones do have low miles and are in a lot better condition so would offset the extra couple of £0000.
Just to depends what the max OP is willing to go.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
As you mentioned, the dents are on panels that a probably from a supermarket carpark. As far a I can see, none of the dents are actually on the places where the owner of the car would be at fault, ok, maybe I see one on the door, but is that the driver's door? Also has the cambelt been changed, it's 5 years old and 55k miles, so perhaps you can negotiate with your dealer to also sort out /touch up some of the dings and small dents. You mentioned it failed the MOT, on what, brake pads and discs are replaceable and not un-comon considering the mileage and the big 2.0TDI diesel heavy lump up front? If there is no full service history and the somewhat higher price...I would say perhaps walk away, then again, if you have had a test drive, happy with it (listen for rattles), then it's up to you. It's a very good car for motorway muching...you should be able to get at least mid 50s mpg doing 70mph. Looks like it still has original Bridgestones on the rears? Perhaps time to budget for some nicer tyres for motorway munching that are not Bridgestones if you do get this car, and do fill Shell's / Esso's finest diesel for first couple of tanks to clean up the engine.

Regarding if it has crappy tyres on the other axel that is not Bridgestones, some just do it to meet the min requirement to trade in a car, if the crappy make tyres have plenty of tread left, this may be the case, if it's low tread, then yes as other say, the previous owners didn't care.

55k miles in 5 years isn't excessive, it's actually around 11k a year, which is below what a diesel should be used, as most would say, below 10k, go petrol, above 10k go diesel...afterall motorway munching isn't that stressful for the engine compared to city driving..

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I know my Leon at 18 months old i already have 3 carpark dents on it. (Not my fault) been an unlucky car that way

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I bought an Ibiza FR from a dealer a couple of years ago. It had dings in both sides of the car, a lot of them. I asked the dealer if he could fix them and they sorted every single one. Car looks perfect now.

We've just walked away from a car because I just didn't feel the dealer was making the effort. Kerbing on the wheels not sorted, just an untidy car. He just didn't seem to want to budge on quite a few things so I walked.

No way I'd buy a car with that many dings out of a main dealer. That's second rate garage fyre that is. For the money I'd want mint.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Yeah I’ve walked away from it now, I just wasn’t getting the feeling it was a good deal and the car hasn’t seemed to be looked after that much. There was already some body work done by the dealer apparently too so the fact that there could of been even more damage is a put off. Thanks for replies everyone, really has helped me make a decision, I’m still set on that spec car with the engine and gearbox so gonna keep looking, thanks everyone, Josh.

Reactions: Mr Pig

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I have a 2014 184 ST manual and it took me over 3 months to find one I liked. Literally the first car I saw was like your situation - just a bit tatty, quite a few stone chips and didn't feel quite right. I wanted to buy it (nice and local) but finally walked away and finally found one in better condition with lower mileage 75 miles away! I bought mine in Jan '18 with 39,000 miles for £10,500.

Been really happy with it. Easily returns 55mpg on the motorway (does 70mph in 6th @ 2,000 rpm).

I did look at a nice Leon at a Seat dealer. They'd left all the dealer paperwork in the car and they'd spent about £850 detailing the car. Most cars have a few dings that get covered over and you don't realise. If the seller/dealer has left it looking shabby then leave it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Pig

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Buying from a dealer means you are paying their profit and overheads, the only reason to do so is they should've done all the hassle for you - sourcing, prepping and warranty so that you end up with the perfect car.

If the car isn't perfect then why pay the extra £3k to the dealer? You might as well go to the auction yourself and buy an ex lease.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Buying from a dealer means you are paying their profit and overheads, the only reason to do so is they should've done all the hassle for you...

I agree with everything you're saying. I don't think the price gap between dealer and independent garage etc is as big as it used to be but one of the things you should be looking for from a dealer is a spot on car. Dealers typically charge the most and in return they usually have the best cars. Cars that have been traded in against a new car, not ones picked up from the market or crashed cars nailed back together.

They also have the guys who are working on the same brand of cars all the time, they have the best spray painters etc, basically they've got everything going for them so the cars should be right. If the car's tatty there's no point in baying dealer money.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.