ACT Noise

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've commented before that I cannot hear or feel the ACT system switching on and off on my car, a 2016 1.4 ACT FR. However, you can hear it in operation!

Now that summer has properly arrived and I'm poodling around with the windows down, you can hear a papery rusling noise coming from the car. Listening to when it happens it's is only when ACT is active and you apply power, but not enough to switch ACT off.

What I can't figure out is what the sound actually is? What is making such a noise? With the windows up you can't hear it at all.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
You hear the turbo rod rattle when 2 cylinder mode...Rubbish but just drive will be fine.seat never replace turbo for this.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You hear the turbo rod rattle when 2 cylinder mode...

Yip, think that's what is it. Just went out and had a look. Going to try greasing up the pivots on the rod to see if that shuts it up.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Yip, think that's what is it. Just went out and had a look. Going to try greasing up the pivots on the rod to see if that shuts it up.
Not help the grease i bought most expensive high temperature one and no clip for facelift.some will say there are clips available and sort the problem.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Not help the grease i bought most expensive high temperature one and no clip for facelift.some will say there are clips available and sort the problem.

Well done for managing to get a camera in there! I am happy that the rod is not seized. The rattle is annoying but it's not expensive! At least greasing it will stop it seizing up.

It's a strange one. I would've thought it would be easy to make those parts not rattle.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I wonder if attaching some sort of small weight to the actuator would help by changing the harmonic resonance or some such other physics stuff that I was so cr@p at in school.

Reactions: Woody_72

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I wonder if attaching some sort of small weight to the actuator would help by changing the harmonic resonance or some such..

Yip, thought the same thing last night. A small jubilee clip and a weight to test it out...

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
EA211 engines also have an issue with some of the camshaft driven high pressure fuel pumps making a metallic clacking sound?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It only happens during ACT, so probably due to the increased engine vibration from just two cylinders.

My own theory is that your level of noise depends on the build quality of that particular day, if you've got a 'Friday' car then there are more loose parts to flap around - especially inside the turbo.

Someone tried attaching a pair of mole grips to the actuator linkage, as a harmonic damper, but the noise continued. I've read that Audi will replace the turbo under warranty for the same problem, Seat will tell you it's just supposed to do that.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
When engine cold move the turbo rod all answered...
No solution.seat refused to deal with it audi once replaced turbo for someone.
We got one fr yet and perfect and same engine just one year older than the crap was.2 cylinder running make stupid vibration my video show that.disconnect one of the act sensor and you got no noise no act.
Useless rubbish anyway no point run on 2 cylinders.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You right something like that but reason why no tension on it.

I assume that when the valve is fully closed it is pulled tight by the link. When it is open the valve is free floating and so there is no pressure on the link. Something like that?

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
Ive been back to SEAT with my 2016 FR 1.4 and they say its better to rattle than to be seized. I bought a clip that fits the exhaust side but not fitted yet. Someone else had the same problem and they told me that the clip sorted it. I was going to try and lube it up with vw hot bolt paste and then fit the clip.

Reactions: Rooster

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
Would this be worth a try, it says 1500 Celsius on it??

Attachments

• received_564793301077999.jpeg
    received_564793301077999.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 134

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Copaslip would probably do the job as well, it's not too slippery and if i remember is good to about 1100* C?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've ordered some hi-temp anti-seize. Try that first and a circlip if it still rattles.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.