Cupra R CD Changer - "CD ERROR"

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Just before xmas i began getting "CD ERROR" messages on my 6 CD changer on my Cupra R. I took it to the Garage (SEAT dealer) and they asked me if i used my own recorded CD-Rs. I said i did and they said that was the problem !!!. I couldn't believe this, but they disconnected the changer for 30 mins and re-connected (they told me that a CD-R will 'Confuse' the unit, and that cutting off the power for 30 mins should solve it !!!!!!!!). Well, they did this, but the problem was still there !. So they decided (under warranty) to put a new changer in. I slyly marked an 'M' on the old changer just incase they didn't really put a new one in (i.e. they just cleaned it !!). Well the problem is back 3 months later, and the 'M' is still on the plastic panel just below where the CD holder case is !!!. So there are a couple of questions here 1) Will CD-Rs really do this ???, 2) does the fact that the 'M' is still there mean that they have not really replaced the changer, or do they not replace the 'whole' changer anyway ? (the M was pencilled in on the main plastic housing just below where the CD holder compartment fits into). and, finally 3) Is there a way of using CD-RWs on this unit.

Bit longwinded, but cheers for any info anyway !!

Sy

Jan 11, 2005
Midlands
My CD changer does not play CD-R's either. Speaking to a Seat mechanic mate of mine, he says that this is correct and they only play genuine CDs.

I also get the CD ERROR. I have even had this on some genuine CDs as well.

If your little mark is still there then it sounds like they have not actaully changed the CD changed IMO.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Think you might be right, i think that it was replaced, but i needed verification from this group !!!!! - actually the casing had a new barcode on it and so i think maybe i was being a bit paranoid !. Would i be able to buy another CD changer to fit to my Cupra R (different make of changer) that plays CDRW's then ? or would it need adaptors/new wiring etc ??

Cheers
Andy

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
I had a few problems with the changer in my ibiza, was getting the cd error and it wasnt finding disks.

Took it to the garage, got it sorted on the warranty. it now plays cdr's with no problems at all

Paul

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Haven't searched the forums yet, however, talking to a mechanic at Halfords, they said that i would be able to use the existing head unit and use an adaptor (which was about £80!!) to connect to a new changer. But he suggested just changing the whole thing, radio as well, and getting a fascia plate (as you know the aura radio/casette/cd changer is much wider than standard radio's !). I gave up in the end, firstly because of the cost, and secondly because i think the aura radio is one of the best for sound quality and i didn't want to pay a fortune for another kit with a lower standard radio, JUST to be able to play CDRW's (CDRs are sooo cheap anyway !).

Cheers
Andy

LC20vtGav

I get a CD ERROR when I put CDs in that are scratched, sometimes they'll work, sometimes they won't.

Is it possible that the CD player lense is just dirty? Maybe get a CD cleaner and give that a go? I've got an 02 leon cupra and CD-Rs work fine, never triew RW.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Mine was hopeless, totally unusable, I used to get "Error" and "CD Error" about 80% of the time. There are a pair of fingers with rubber pads which remove the CD from the cassette to load it into the player. The fingers were pulling the CD out, but losing grip before delivering the CD to the player. Hense "Error". The rubber pads can be cleaned using alcohol, i.e. from a tape head cleaner. I used a cotton wool bud with one end soaked in the alcohol taped to a thin piece of plastic as an extension. No dismantling is required, it takes about 30 seconds. My changer now works perfectly and does play CD-rs.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
WatchHill said:
Interesting idea Phil.
I'm supposed to be getting my unit replaced under warranty, but I reckon I'll give that a go anyway.

Eject the cassette, and look into the changer. On the left hand side where the cassette fits, towards the back of the unit you should find the 2 fingers. They are white on mine.

Dave W

Aug 14, 2003
Bexley, Kent
Visit site
I only use CD-R's in mine and have never had a problem. The only time I had trouble with CD's not working in certain players was when I used certain CD's or certain software to burn them, it does make a difference.

LFCforLife

As Above

Same problem here, I usually have to just pop the CD Caddy out, put it back in, let it run the CD Check and hey presto...

:D

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
The alcohol on a swab to wipe the 'fingers' pulling the cd out of the caddy seems to have done the trick for me. It makes sense that some cds are more likely to cause error as they have different print/patterns on them. Makes it more or less likely to grip. CDrs generally have two shiny sides = less grip.