Tyres And Pads

chris19

Beemer Slayer
Jan 30, 2005
London
Hello All,

Have done a search but can'tfind too much info on Cupra Tyres. My car is booked in for it's first service next week. I will also need new tyres and brake pads all around.

How much have you guys paid for your Cupra tyres and pads?

Many Thanks,

Chris

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Tyres and pads have been discussed to death on here, so there should be something if you put the right search words in the box. Tyres don't have to be Cupra specific tbh, just the right size and preferably round ;)

The Ferrodo DS2500 pads are supposed to be really good, so speak to Bill (Badger 5) about a set for the AP calipers. At the end of the day your life depends on the tyres and brakes so is it something you really want to scrimp on?

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
If it's any help, the Dunlop SP2000's that are fitted to my FR are rubbish. Steer clear of them (unless you've already got them, in which case you won't be able to steer clear of anything in the wet...).

Triple D

dmjw01 said:
If it's any help, the Dunlop SP2000's that are fitted to my FR are rubbish. Steer clear of them (unless you've already got them, in which case you won't be able to steer clear of anything in the wet...).
Lol, i know they're crap in the wet.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I had Bridgestone Turanzas on mine. Not the worst I've had and they last forever, but bit crap in the wet unlike the Rainsports I have now. :)

T. Spark

Bridgestone Turanzas's on my FR aswell, they seemed pretty good in the dry, as said pretty poor in the wet tho.. as for lasting foreva.. maybe I had traction control off far too much then!? erm, 6-9k worth?!

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I think the fronts lasted around 20k and only had to be replaced due to the inside edge wearing dangerously thin thanks to dodgy tracking from the factory. The rears were still had loads of tread left on them when I swapped over to 17" wheels at around 35k so I'd classify that as lasting forever. :)

Have to say though that most of my mileage was motorway miles and not hooning round the back roads, etc.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
mrcoyote said:
I think the fronts lasted around 20k and only had to be replaced due to the inside edge wearing dangerously thin thanks to dodgy tracking from the factory.
Snap :)

My inside edges were so worn, they had holes in....but the rest of the tread still had 2 or 3mm IIRC.

So many people have had inner edges wear badly from new; even my mate with a Polo had the same problem - but he didn't realise until one morning when he had a flat. Both fronts were so worn on the inner edges they looked like wire brushes :-o

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
muddyboots said:
Snap :)

My inside edges were so worn, they had holes in....but the rest of the tread still had 2 or 3mm IIRC.

So many people have had inner edges wear badly from new; even my mate with a Polo had the same problem - but he didn't realise until one morning when he had a flat. Both fronts were so worn on the inner edges they looked like wire brushes :-o

Snap again, mine went really bad. However my rears lasted nearly 60k miles :-o

Strange about the fronts as no other tyre i've had on the front since (either good or bad quality of tyre) has every done it at all :confused:

T. Spark

big ALI H said:
Snap again, mine went really bad. However my rears lasted nearly 60k miles :-o

Strange about the fronts as no other tyre i've had on the front since (either good or bad quality of tyre) has every done it at all :confused:

Snap Snap again! But it was more like 8k miles?! Probs more I cant remember tbh!

But again, the inner bit of the tyre had no tread left, with parts of holes and u could see the wire stuff!? not good as the outside where just legal, still...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
But again, the inner bit of the tyre had no tread left, with parts of holes and u could see the wire stuff!? not good as the outside where just legal, still...

Yeah mine had holes in too.
Trouble is, I only spotted it whilst lounging near the car on a campsite in the south of France, with 7-800 miles to get home...:(
My French wasn't very good and I didn't fancy attempting to buy new tyres, so I swapped the fronts and rears on the campsite and drove home at a steady speed with my fingers crossed. I put the spare on in place of the most badly worn one.
Swapping the wheels round was quite a protracted, and embarrasing procedure - with plenty of bemused looks as I shuffled the wheels round one-by-one using only the standard jack and spare wheel :D

chris19

Beemer Slayer
Jan 30, 2005
London
SNAP SNAP SNAP !! Again...

The inside of my fronts are looking dangerous now to be honest, and you can tell going through corners the handling is rubbish compared to the tyres when new, plus this greasy winter surface doesn't help too much.

Pirellis seam ok though.

T. Spark

muddyboots said:
Yeah mine had holes in too.
Trouble is, I only spotted it whilst lounging near the car on a campsite in the south of France, with 7-800 miles to get home...:(
My French wasn't very good and I didn't fancy attempting to buy new tyres, so I swapped the fronts and rears on the campsite and drove home at a steady speed with my fingers crossed. I put the spare on in place of the most badly worn one.
Swapping the wheels round was quite a protracted, and embarrasing procedure - with plenty of bemused looks as I shuffled the wheels round one-by-one using only the standard jack and spare wheel :D

Oh the joys, tbh id hate to think how long I drove (and hard!) with them like that?!

Looks like its common place now with Chris on board aswell!

They seemed pretty good in the dry tho.... :p

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
I just got some two new fronts on my Cupra due to inside tyre wear, i went for come Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's, i cant really fault them, all in fitted and balanced it came to 190 quid.

All i need now are some new front pads, which'll probably be Ferodo's like everyone says.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise