Ibiza TDi buying advice

PeteU

Hi Guys,
I am thinking of buying a mk4 ibiza tdi, i think due to budget it will be an earlier 130 sport (looking at an 03 plate one tomorrow), rather than an FR or cupra.
I have spent the morning browsing this site and searching for info and think i have gathered a fair bit, however I would just like to check a few things.

Firstly are there any specific problems with any of the ibiza diesels? anything to look out for or avoid?
Are there any major issues with early cars or high mileage cars?
What are the service intervals? When are the major services? what are the major costs? Cambelts etc.

Is there a definitive way to check the engine size (like a list of engine numbers and outputs? )

Is there anything else to look out for or reasons to steer clear of one?

I appreciate any help

Cheers

Pete

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
Hi,

I have a TDI Sport and it's had a few issues but it's still the best and most fun car i've owned.
Issues include the paint fading dramatically, the front anti-roll bar snapping and the syncros on the gearbox giving up the ghost.

Cambelt is replaced at the 60k.

Fit a strut brace to stiffen up the front end, it's a cheap mod at about £50.

HTH

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
From experience with mine and what's been posted on here, there's not really any TDI specific problems, more problems with the Mk4 in general. Things that could go wrong with them seem to be...

Cables in the seat back snapping so it won't go forward
Wires to the starter motor snapping so it won't start
Window regulators breaking so the glass is stuck in position
Condensation in the lamps
Wash pipe popping off in the boot lid

One last thing is to make sure that the correct oil has been used for the services. The PD engines require oil that reaches the VW 505.01 standard at the very least. Service intervals are every 10,000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first, with the major services every 20k and the cam belt is normally replaced at 60k.

No doubt there are more things, but they're the ones that I can think of right now. A search will provide you with a lot more information, especially with regards to the tuning potential of these things.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
You shouldnt worry too much about the high milers too much as the Engine will almost certainly out last the rest of the car.

If the car has been remapped make sure the clutch is holding on ok - floor it in 6th at 2000 revs and listen/look at the rev counter for it slipping.

People report that the shocks go rather floppy anything after 50k so these may need replacing. If your fancying cornering quickly on a high miler you may want to get the springs/shockers replaced.

Also after having mine on the JBS ramps - common problems include Anti Roll Bar bushes going (easy fix) and the wish bone bushes are starting to perish on mine (after 45k / Jan 04). Both are about a £60 fix with uprated bushes so not too bad (dont bother with the dealer!)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I'd echo what's been said.
Make sure it's got a full dealer history so you've got some kind of assurance the right oil has been used (very important on a PD).

You can check the engine by lifting the boot carpet, looking for the white sticker with all the codes on, and checking the engine code is "ASZ".

If it's around or above 60k, make sure the cambelts been done, it's not cheap...

Like Ed said, and I've experienced (my TDI Sport is now on 75k miles), you'll probably find the suspension pretty knackered if it's done a few miles, and the consensus is that's it's crap from new anyway, so you might want to budget for a new set of shocks, top front suspension mounts, and bushes at the front. You'll be able to live without doing it of course, but the handling/ride won't be great. I've just put 4 Monroe Reflex shocks on mine (didn't want to lower it), and it feels much much better now. They cost me just over £200, fitting would probably cost you another £100 (I did mine myself).

Finally, the plus point of getting the earlier (02/03) cars is you get a few extra goodies that got deleted off more recent models. You'll get an oil temp and voltmeter gauge, a bootlight, 8 speakers, a switch to disable the interior alram movement sensor, umm and a few other things that got deleted in later years by the penny-pinchers :)

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
I love my Tdi Fr though as been said the handling could be better.

Off subject Muddyboots, I have the button to turn off interior sensors on my FR.

PeteU

Hi Big Ali H,

I saw your car in the forsale section, it sounds pretty good unfortunately I'm in south oxfordshire so it's a tad far away at the minute (I have no cars, i wrote off my fiat bravo td a few months back and the girlfriend wrote off her fiat coupe last week!)

If the one I'm looking at tomorrow is no good I may well be interested, will let you know!

Oh an thanks everyone else for the advice, it's sounding pretty good, how much is the cambelt change? As i guess i need to factor that in when looking at ones coming up to 60k.

Cheers

Pete

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
PeteU said:
Hi Big Ali H,

Oh an thanks everyone else for the advice, it's sounding pretty good, how much is the cambelt change? As i guess i need to factor that in when looking at ones coming up to 60k.

Cheers

Pete
Think I paid about £420-430 for the 60k including cambelt

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Theres a fair few sports on Ebay at the moment actually. Why not drope one or 2 an email and go have a lookie this weekend?

T. Spark

And dont let the area in which the car is but you off, im sure a few people on here have drivin'/travelled many a mile for a good well looked after car, after all you are gonna be spending 5k+ is £30 worth of petrol/diesel money and a favour from a m8 really gonna kill the bank!? Better to find a nice example and spend a few more pennies finding it, than a bad apple, and spending alot more in the future! On a brighter note, the PD130 ROCKS! Get a remap aswell, mucho funo!

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
PeteU said:
Hi Big Ali H,

I saw your car in the forsale section, it sounds pretty good unfortunately I'm in south oxfordshire so it's a tad far away at the minute (I have no cars, i wrote off my fiat bravo td a few months back and the girlfriend wrote off her fiat coupe last week!)

If the one I'm looking at tomorrow is no good I may well be interested, will let you know!

Cheers

Pete

No problem mate :cheers:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.