How do people Afford??

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Sorry if this is a bit of personal question......but im looking at buying a Leon Cupra as everyone knows!

Ive been to a seat dealer today.....and i see the cupras as £12-15k....and wander how the hell you all afford one!?!??!

Are they all on loans??? if so which ones and how much you pay a month for them???

Ive been a student, got a decent ish job now for quite a while, paid back 50% of my debt and from being a student and have bought a house earlier this year....even if i want a leon cupra at £5k or so i will have to take another loan!

How do you guys afford it and how do you pay it back? and if its credit which way do you do it?

I have a lease car deal at work, but il pay £350 a month + tax for the cupra r!!! All tax and insurance included and servicing, but its still a hell of a lot of money don't u think??

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
dealers at the min are going crazy to sell cars , theres lots of new models coming through , so u can pick up pre registered "old shape" versions for a huge discount , plus haggle on the delears finance, when i got my car , my bank offered me a low cost loan , that the dealer couldnt match , n myself and am sure a good chunk of the members on here use interest free credit cards to their advantage , just watch out for balance tranfer charges on some cards (usually 2% or 50quid) on large sums) and my personal favorite is just dont eat

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
if i were you i would by a MK3 ibiza cupra, still look the danglies still give you all the fun you would need and would cost you at least half the price. Be very careful of finance especially if you have other big credit agreements. End of the day dont buy something you really cant afford, only leads to trouble.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
mine is on finance got alright deal but nether ever get your money back best way to buy a car is one year old under 10,000 miles with cash

:cry: i'llbe paying it off for next 3 yrs and always losing money thats why i went for top model soo i would nether regret not going for top of range ;)

its crazy the dealer will give finance to anyone!

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
one thing i dont like about some HP schemes is the old 10K limit on distance , then u end up paying so much a mile over , i can do 10k in about 6-7 months

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
Most of them live at home with mum and dad.
Pay £20 a week board,
work in IT and have £25K+ jobs
dont do anything other than sit on the internet and buy stuff for there car.
Got no intentions of moving out of mum and dads.

Quite easy really.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Got mine with a loan. But I'm doing sharesaves at work where you buy shares at a discount by saving a set amount each month. My first one comes out in feb and the £3.6k I have put in will be £6k+ so I should have the car paid for after about a year.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
md078 said:
Got mine with a loan. But I'm doing sharesaves at work where you buy shares at a discount by saving a set amount each month. My first one comes out in feb and the £3.6k I have put in will be £6k+ so I should have the car paid for after about a year.

can any1 join in that wee money maker

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
bank loan for 14k and used the cordy for the rest. 290 pm over 5 years (never buy anything over a year old tho if going this route as the car will be well old by the end) insurance is around 100 pm (inc interest) my 04 has done 33k and is going to the back of the driveway for a month or two from tomorrow, tax is up and using zoes ka for a while will help us save for the holiday in may to get married. it also means i can give it a really good polish, get the wing mirror sorted and not be putting the silly mileage onto her. Ive worked out that ill be saving at least around 30 quid a week on fuel alone using the ka.

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
jason leese said:
Most of them live at home with mum and dad.
Pay £20 a week board,
work in IT and have £25K+ jobs
dont do anything other than sit on the internet and buy stuff for there car.
Got no intentions of moving out of mum and dads.

Quite easy really.

Someone seems bitter :rolleyes:

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
Not really, I've had a Leon Cupra R loved it to bits.
I've now got a wife,house and two kids.
And I wouldn't swap back.

The first time you see your first child being born it puts things into stark contrast. You say to yourself " whatever he needs he'll have " Cars fade into insignificance.

I CAN easily afford a NEW Cupra R but I chose not to because it IS just a car Beautiful I grant you. But in five years it will be old and out dated where as my boys will have given me something new almost every day. Not always good ,but new all the same.

Now the wifes at work and the kids are in full time school I can spend more money on my first and true love.

Suzukis finest GSXR 750 K4 (Blue and white of course there faster)

Last edited:

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
i dont go out drinking so i spend that money on my cars allways have
had a paxo and a beemer and now the cupra
i have spent enough modding these cars to have bought a brand new porker if i had saved but u dont think about it like that

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
So there wasn't a real need for the post you made above.

People who live at home with parent/s with IT jobs and pay cheap rent are NOT Lazy people who have no intentions of moving out!

I'm only 22 and have a job in IT but that doesn't mean that I have no intention of moving out, getting a house, a wife and kids. All in good time. ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.