How do people Afford??

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
From an alternative angle, I think the stress of a big loan and paying loads of interest can outweigh the enjoyment of owning a nice car. Truth is, it is all about priorities. I could have bought an LCR (or IHI'd the current cupra) and not sweated to pay it off, but instead I have chose to stretch myself in buying a slightly bigger and nicer house and settled for a Fabia VRS. I will enjoy not having any debt hanging over me (aside the 145K for the mortgage.. :blink: ) and having cheaper running costs on a monthly basis. I hate having to budget tightly.

Best bet for a cheaper LCR would be low mileage private sale using a low rate loan, but consider the Ibiza - it can be just as much fun and give you less grey hairs in the long run. You will only end up spending more remapping whatever you get anyway so build this into the price!

Flame me for being boring or whatever, but i have seen enough lads at work shitting their pants over being unable to afford the bills because they own STis and Evos etc. As said before - it is all about priorities, and some people prefer to hold off until their midlife crisis for a 265 BHP car - I'm planning on having mine at about 35... ;)

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
does any1 know if car dealers go on if the house is black listed anymore or is it one the person now?

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
I paid cash for mine, 10 grand i saved up myself over a couple of years and a 5 grand loan from the rents! I'd have loved a Cupra R but I couldn't justify the extra cost as I also wanted some money left for a deposit on a house! I don't have a wife or any kids to pay for but I do have my own house and most of my money goes into paying for it! Somewhere to live has to take priority, why not pay off your other loans as quickly as poss then take out loan for a new motor? then you won't notice any strain on the pocket!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
My employer gives me a car allowance rather than a company car, this is a taxed sum on top of my Salary, plus I claim mileage back in the form of expenses at a set rate....this is meant to cover fuel + wear and tear but in reality just covers fuel for business mileage.

I also get tax back from the Inland Revenue on each business mile i drive by doing an annual self assessment.

Having had a company car previously I also get the tax back I used to shell out on the company car (via a better tax code).....although strictly this isn't money back....just money in my pocket that I'm not paying out.

The result is I added all the above together, made plenty of assumptions and bought the LCR (well a Golf Gti originally but I sold that) I have a 4 year loan on the car (Car is three years old in June) and then she's mine.....not too bad seeming as I had nowt to put down on a car when I bought it.

Bank of Mum and dad was available to me, but at the tender age of 34 I thought it was time to cut the apron strings ;) .

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Ruddmeister said:
My employer gives me a car allowance rather than a company car, this is a taxed sum on top of my Salary, plus I claim mileage back in the form of expenses at a set rate....this is meant to cover fuel + wear and tear but in reality just covers fuel for business mileage.

I also get tax back from the Inland Revenue on each business mile i drive by doing an annual self assessment.

Having had a company car previously I also get the tax back I used to shell out on the company car (via a better tax code).....although strictly this isn't money back....just money in my pocket that I'm not paying out.

The result is I added all the above together, made plenty of assumptions and bought the LCR (well a Golf Gti originally but I sold that) I have a 4 year loan on the car (Car is three years old in June) and then she's mine.....not too bad seeming as I had nowt to put down on a car when I bought it.

Bank of Mum and dad was available to me, but at the tender age of 34 I thought it was time to cut the apron strings ;) .

Similiar to me, do you work for a council?

i get £65 a month tax free for using my own car (wear and tear allowance) and 33p a mile of milage which pays for my fuel plus a bit extra, tax free, but i can't really use that to fund a LCR!!! heheh :)

Rich

BrocSparks

Savings

I think the best way is to wait till you have saved up enough money to be able to afford one, that way you'll really appreciate it when it comes. That is just what I did, waited till I could buy the car outright.

Craigc

Dec 9, 2004
Edinburgh
Funnily enough I work in IT. But I have had my own flat in central Edinburgh for almost three years now. My first few cars had finace on them but as my wages went up I didn't need it for my last few cars.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
jason leese said:
people that work in IT are genarally work shy and are scared of the cold and getting there hands dirty (no offence)

:roflmao:

true very true.

i work in IT and have forgoten the last time i did some work lol

it is money for nothing but it is boring as hell , hard to leave when i can turn up for work whatever tme i like and get 30 odd k for it lol.

Last edited:

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
I just understand how everyone affords them....

my bills go out everymonth and don't get much change from that...

suppose im paying for my previous student life, paying my folks back for the loan they gave me, paying back another loan and bills and insurance for the house/mortgage...

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
leonlad said:

true very true.

it is money for nothing but it is boring as hell , hard to leave when i can turn up for work whatever tme i like and get 30 odd k for it lol.

Are you recruiting at the moment? :p

slinger

Dec 18, 2005
north of watford
i work outside in the luuuurvly fresh air............and the rain, the wind, sleet, snow, ice, hurricanes, tornados - i'm sure you get the picture! office workers - you don't know you're born!!!!!!! :D

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
leonlad said:

true very true.

No thanks mate, did that for 4 years. Its the most expensive place to live on God's Green one (I lived in Victoria).

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Funkyfin2000 said:
Similiar to me, do you work for a council?

i get £65 a month tax free for using my own car (wear and tear allowance) and 33p a mile of milage which pays for my fuel plus a bit extra, tax free, but i can't really use that to fund a LCR!!! heheh :)

Rich

Erm no not a council, we get £5,500 a year taxed to provide a car for work, must be less than 5 years old, no convertibles.....think that's it

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
i bought mine from buying and selling trade ins from my workplace.also traded my mk4 golf GTTDI in aswell so only had to pay 7k towards it

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Cupra Ross said:

No thanks mate, did that for 4 years. Its the most expensive place to live on God's Green one (I lived in Victoria).

property is expensive but what else is different ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.