Spark plug recommendations and how-to

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hi guys

Yes, I have searched. Saw people PM'ing each other, but never found a guide on the forums. If I have missed it please post the link!

Basically, I need to change my spark plugs. I need to know which ones to go for (NGK PFR6Q???) and how to do it. Looks tricky to me....

Any help would be great. I am once and for all going to get to the bottom of my lump idle...

Cheers

olly_ed0088

How come you need to change your spark plugs? I am not 100% sure how to tell when they need replacing...........

cheers

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
personally id use NGK - avoid Bosch/champion but thats my own opinion ;)

PFR6Q is std fitment and basically its cover off / coils out / plugs out but couldnt give you a guide (no pics) sorry

PFR's are platinum plugs reccomended for 40k miles usually

if you are suffering from lumpy idle have you run vagcom yet ? check the maf/coolant sensor first and even the dreaded coil pack failure too - might help

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
cheers flapper. Had this problem really since buying the car in oct 04. Have had MAF cleaned once then I made them change it the second time. Had a coolant level sensor and coolant temp sensor replaced in my ownership too. Still does it. Coilpacks seem fine, VAG-COM has no errors.

TBH Sparks are my last option. I picked the car up from SEAT and they "did" the 40k service at the time of collection, so the plugs SHOULD have been changed. However, I am somehow doubting that the service was done properly as the oil on pickup was terrible (queried this with them but they gave me some story blah blah)
Also had TB cleaned, realigned numerous times, and still no luck in solving problem. It is REALLY apparent after a journey, I sit to let turbo cool for a bit and about 10seconds after stopping and letting car idle the car sounds like its gonna stall, drops to about 650/700rpm then jumps back up to the 1k mark briefly before returning to the 800rpm idle speed (all approx figures there)

I just thought that if my car has now done 51k, i could try changing the plugs and see if it helps. I understand that the NKG's are recommended when the car has been remapped anyway...

Reactions: ZakGaffey

tonipieleanu

NGK PFR6Q are the stock plugs that Seat puts on this car. That's what you get when you buy the OEM part from a Seat dealer.
I've changed mine at 75k miles (120k km) and they were "used" (needed changing judging from the way they look) but the engine was still running fine.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
IIRC the plugs should have been changed by 40k anyway.

For £20 it's well worth doing more often anyway, as it can often be the root of most problems.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
With regards to a how to...

pull out coil packs, insert correct sized spark plug spanner, unscrew gentley - no sharp movements - this is your cylinder head!

unscrew, retract, replace & do up 'enough' but don't lean on them. a small bit of engine oil could be used as lube.

replace coils, in the right order :) and that's it.

Glenn

Oct 15, 2001
Visit site
I went to buy some plugs from my local SEAT dealer a few months ago. Parts bloke said they'd have to order them in - made me wonder how they do 40K services without the plugs to hand? Didn't bother ordering them, went to VW dealership instead - same deal.

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
I got 4 NGK Laser Platinum plugs ready to go on. but if I sell my car I'll stick them in the for sale section.

Laser Platinum

As the name implies, state of the art laser welding procedures are used in the manufacturing of NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs. These spark plugs are manufactured to the rigorous demands of OEM car makers and modern service length requirements. Among the features of the NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug are:

• Lasers are used for pinpoint precision welds, reducing excess debris. The reduction of debris decreases the required voltage to bridge the spark gap.

• Platinum tips welded on the ground and center electrodes reduce the wear rate on both of these surfaces.

• Ensures greater durability and long life.

Not cheap at £38 but they are the best NGK make and NGK make the best spark plugs - so not bad then.

Alpha

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
AlphaMale said:
Just got them from the garage .... PFR6Q 6458

Alpha

How much should these spark plugs be? And where do you get them from for £28?

Sparkplugs.co.uk want £10.50+vat each for them.

Cheers

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
was looking at these off a thread on vortex a week or so ago..
looked intruging...

http://www.brisk.biz/index.php?page=tuning_premium_lgs.html

trying to contact them but its proving awkward... :doh:

czc5zveu.jpg

lvisuilx.jpg

bvbmtasg.jpg

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
AlphaMale said:
I got 4 NGK Laser Platinum plugs ready to go on. but if I sell my car I'll stick them in the for sale section.

Laser Platinum

Not cheap at £38 but they are the best NGK make and NGK make the best spark plugs - so not bad then.

Alpha

Pabs said:
How much should these spark plugs be? And where do you get them from for £28?

Sparkplugs.co.uk want £10.50+vat each for them.

Cheers

They are about £38/£40 I think not £28 :no:

Got them for my Leon Cupra R, I will check if they are the same for the Ibiza if not I'll give you 1st refusal - I just guessed that they would require the same spark plug.

Changing the plugs are easy, I think there are two screws (alan key) holding the coild pack on the plug, you simply undo these and give it a tug, then you just unscrew the spark plug like any other car - Did this to 80% of 20vt cars when I was working in Audi ... and man did we have our fair share of S3's / TT's :rolleyes:

Alpha

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.