TDI 2.0, or 2.0 TFSI

pmdc199

Jun 7, 2004
Torn between the above anyone have experience of either or both, want something quicker, have a 130tdi ibiza which is good mid range but not that great 0-60.

Will the tfsi have good mid range pulling?

Any help gratefully appreciated

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
tdi all the way.

But simple thing to do is go test drive it. You won't know till you try em.

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Had experience of the 2.0TDi in a Leon, and a 2.0TFSI in an A3 and can say both are very good engines, and feel about the same, but i would go diesel all the way!

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I had a test drive in a new Leon 2.0 TDi Sport and it actually felt slower than my Ibiza TDi although it was probably faster. The power delivery felt smoother and more linear than the Ibiza with less of a sudden surge. It didn't seem that different from my petrol Leon Cupra as I remember it.

Ghost

Nov 28, 2005
Hampshire
I think it depends on what you want. I am getting a 2.0 TDI sport because I want the mid range grunt and the improved fuel efficiency. The TFSI will give you a far better 0-60 as long as you work it hard. The TFSI is as sporty as it gets at the moment, my concern is that there will be a lot of disappointed people out there when the more powerful engines arrive.

I just wish the wait time was less, mine is on a boat now but I think I really have to wait for March 1st for the new plate.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
honestly, do plates really matter any more. i don't think it does, just get it when ever, it won't effect the value

Ghost

Nov 28, 2005
Hampshire
Apparently it does have an effect, if the car is registered just before the change of plate is makes it look like a 'pre-registered' car when you come to selling /px-ing it....so I am informed!

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Both the new 2.0 engines are very smooth in their power delivery, so neither will feel very exciting. Personally I would prefer a remapped 1.9 TDI and leave it at that. The 2.0 TDI doesn't give much better figures when chipped than the 1.9, and I wouldn't expect the 2.0 TFSI to be very good on fuel if you drive it quickly.
I personally think the 130 TDI can be made to get to 60 quite quickly if you actually drive it like a Diesel and not a 16v petrol engine. But that's just me!

Wassy

Eat my soot!
May 20, 2004
Coagh, N.Ireland
i think you may find the 2.0 tdi is a tad(not much) slower than your 130tdi, so you maybe better going for 2.0 tfsi if you want a good 0-60. i found my 130tdi when standard was very good 0-60 (genuinely around 8sec) you just need to change up early to stay in the power band rather than reving them out.