Clutch Sticking!

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
My clutch peddle is starting to stick and doesn't return to its normal position, its ok if you pump it a few times but otherwise the cluctch bites very close to the floor and sometimes I can't even change gear!!! :confused:

A friend of mine said it sounds like the clutch slave cylinder? Any idea's anyone? Did a search and looks like slave or master cylinder, is there anyway of telling which?

cheers

Last edited:

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
will be the slave cylinder.my golf did it very common problem.does the pedal spring back if you put your foot under it and lift it up ?? problem is you have to take the gearbox out to do it as it's part of the clutch release bearing :(

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
phil mate, pretty sure my namesake above is right - i'm sure it was the slave cylinder on mine that went, causing same problem. I could lift pedal up again with foot, and it'd function for a bit longer before doing it again.
Sounds like a tricky job to do - I'd ask about and get some quotes, or perhaps see if anyone on here has the know-how to help ya

burN-Leon

This has happened on my leon s. clutch sticks and clutching point is quite close to floor so i use my foot to put it back in position. seems to be ok now but the otha day it happened again. But doesnt happen very often. Dont know what it could be.

dannyk

leon cupra
Oct 3, 2004
Aberdeen
Had my slave cylinder 'replaced' twice under warrenty, if yours is an 03 Fidge then you'll be ok. get it done sooner rather than later as you WILL get suck somewhere!!! i did, both times, 100 miles from home!!!

Also to bare in mind is that he reservoir for the slave clinder in the same as for the brakes, so if its leaking....etc etc

Cheers

Danny

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Yeah mine's an import so only got 2 years warranty! :( My mate swears its the slave cylinder too but the SEAT garage said its the master cylinder but if I replace that its gonna cost me 150 quid and might not even fix it! Just gutted theres no way of telling which it is, looks like a good excuse to get a performance clutch then I suppose! ;) Best get down to the surgery and sell another kidney! :lol:

Also the fluid level doesn't seem to have dropped and there is no visible leeks under the car, surely the fluid would be running out of the gearbox by now?

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
:confused: Right I'm really confused now, just spoke to my SEAT Dealer and they said the slave clutch cylinder is outside of the gearbox so the gearbox doesn't need to be removed!!! He has given me 2 part numbers 1J0721261F for gear selector rods and 1J0721261J for gear selector cables, any guru's out there that actually know about these cars??? :confused: :help:

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Spoke to Volkswagon and the cylinder IS inside the gearbox! the part numbers SEAT gave me are wrong can anyone help me with a part number please cos I've given up on my dealer!

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Cheers Pabs, I have the part number now it is 0A5141671 if it's any use to anyone else! This is for gearbox internal slave clutch cylinder for 6 speed box.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Master at the 'pedal' end works the slave. Slave at the gearbox end actuates the clutch.

There needn't be a loss of fluid if seals have gone internally, it just means fluid squidges past the seals rather than applying pressure.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
paul h said:
will be the slave cylinder.my golf did it very common problem.does the pedal spring back if you put your foot under it and lift it up ?? problem is you have to take the gearbox out to do it as it's part of the clutch release bearing :([/QUOTDefinately the above quote. When I purchased my Seat leon it had same problem. Seat have admitted its a problem and there is a call out on some models (I think). Take it in and see.

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
it could be the rod operating the clutch master cylinder has come uncliped from the white clip which is in then in turn clipped into box on the side of the pedal. I forgot to clip mine back in after i had the pedal out to reweld it when the welds failed and it worked ok for a bit but then developed the symtoms uve described!

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
This fault is happening to my car at the moment :censored: , it will be the 6th or 7th time it has happend in the 5 years I have had the car [:@] , it has only done 60,000 miles so why it has to have a new cylinder every year is beyond me. I have not had to pay for it to be replaced yet as previously the car was under warranty, not sure if the garage will fix it again for free but last time it was fixed they assured me it would not happen again but sure enough just over a year since is was last fixed it is starting to play up again. :censored:
Does anyone know for certain if it will be the Slave or Master Cylinder, last time I had the fault I was told it was the Master Cylinder that was replaced and thats whats at fault not the slave cylinder was I being lied to because the garage did not want the bill of sorting the problem out properly? could replacing the master clyinder and bleeding the system cure the fault for a short period, maybe the reason for the fault returning is because the actual fault was never properly fixed.

Anyone have any input?

sorry for stealing the thread but it's the same fault :whistle:

Ben

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
get on your angry face and state that the part they replaced was obviously not fit for purpose, they should change it for free then, if not threaten trading standards

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise