Under Taking a Police Car

Essex_Cupra

May 14, 2004
Well friend calls me to say under took police car at about 80-95mph.. flashing lights came on so he pulled over onto a path/drive but because someone was inside lane the police couldn't stop and had to carry on going because it was a dual carriage way.

But it was unmarked so i'm guessing it would have video equipment?

Essex_Cupra

May 14, 2004
Exactly careless driving? Speeding?

Don't think there is a specific conviction for undertaking?

Jonzy

Depends on the circumstances really, they make it up as they go along. Dangerous driving, driving without due car & attention

Essex_Cupra

May 14, 2004
Well he said because he was on a dual carraige way and he stopped quickly the police didn't really have a chance to stop... But i'm guessing they will send him something through the post in a month or so because of video evidence...if they do in have this in 3series BMW

REVOman

Due care and attention and possibly dangerous driving. There is a time limit on the NIP if they didn't stop him there and then.

Essex_Cupra

May 14, 2004
Paul TDI said:
well maybe they should have been driving correctly in the left lane! :D

80 on the speedo shouldn't be much of a problem, thats really about 75mph, 95mph would be a problem tho!

I know when i'm doing 70mph and someone's up my rear! i move... Why is it unmarked police drive in fast lane at 70-80mph don't move and marked police car sit in the inside lanes doing 55mph!

WHYME

Apr 22, 2002
MK
Visit site
A few years ago I was stuck behind some old granny for about 4 duel carriageways, she was sat in the fast lane doing about 55mph for what seemed like a life time. Checked my mirrors (not well enough!) undertook her with plenty of room and pulled infront to turn right < stupid I know. She must have over-reacted and slammed her brakes on at the sight of someone doing 70 in front? next thing the bill come from nowhere and tailgate me for 2 miles and pull me over. He said she had to take evasive action because of me and that if he had had another officer (only 1) and a camera in the car I would have been looking at a 28day ban for dangerous driving.
Then gave me the bollocking to remember!!
Not sure how truthful the punishment was but it was the last time I did it...............

Without properly checking my mirrors first.

djrichard

DJRICHARD
Mar 11, 2004
glasgow
Whats the current situation regarding not admitting driving the car?

If the Police didnt stop him at the time then surely he could simply deny driving the car, as we have the "right to remain silent" then he should not have to provide details of the 'real' driver.

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
If you were'n't stopped and spoken to by the Police at the time than you are extremely unlikely to hear anything more about this. Video evidence from an in car camera can only be used as a back up to evidence from an Officer. The video camera itself is not a Home Office approved device in the same way as a Gatso or laser camera, so cannot be relied on to to prove speeding as the sole evidence in the case, and ofitself it cannot be used to prove careless driving.

They have your reg number but cannot prove identity of the driver from a foward facing in car video. For undertaking the relevant charge would usually be careless or inconsiderate driving. For that the Police must issue a NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION Under schedule 1 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 or summons fro the offence within 14 days of the offence occurring.

In all the circumstances the reality is that the cops wanted to give you a fright , but either were being called to something more important or when they lost you decided they couldn't be bothered.

Sit tight but I strongly suspect YOUR FRIEND'S? been lucky this time.:) ;)

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise