adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
ALEX** said:
is it the kit robdon had?
Yep
if so think i read he had swapped his off coz it wasnt up to track days,
From what I read it was mainly because he wanted coilovers to get the ride height just so.
and he found they rusted a fair bit too.
Don't remember reading that anywhere actually, but he still recommends the FK kit.

At the end of the day this is still a really good value kit and has several recommendations.

I'm new to aftermarket suspension so it's a toe in the water for me. If I don't like it I can sell it on without losing a lot of cash. We shall see... when it finally arrives.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
:censored: :censored: :censored:

Five weeks since order and no ETA. Apparently it's because FK are still waiting for a couple of parts before they can make up the kit.

:banghead:

I only found this out yesterday, before then they were saying it was all ready to ship out. Performance Driven have been upfront about it, it's the FK factory in Germany.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
It's here!

Well b***er me the kit has actually arrived, only 15 weeks after ordering! :blink:
I was beginning to think it was a mythical beast.

To be honest I would have cancelled it a while back if I hadn't been so busy getting married and going on honeymoon etc.

So if anyone's interested in this kit - just make sure it's in stock before you order! If it goes on back order with the FK factory you're in for a wait and a half. So much for German efficiency. :thumbd:

Anyway just got to get it fitted now.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
It's on!

:thumbup:

Had it fitted on Tuesday, and it's well worth it. Not had chance for a good thrash with it yet, due to work and rain but here's my initial impressions.

It has lowered the car 25mm front and 17mm rear, but it may settle a bit more over next few weeks.

The ride is definitely firmer but far better damped. Doesn't crash in the least and it feels so much more controlled.

I'd say the ride quality is much better, not jiggly at all on uneven surfaces, like the OE stuff.

Obviously cornering speeds can be higher, but there's now more feedback through the steering wheel, and a twitch of the wheel will change direction that little bit quicker. Braking is improved generall, probably due to better damping of bumps because the front doesn't dive as much, so there's less of that squirmy rear end feeling.

I also took the opportunity to replace all the front bushes with new OE ones (cheers Stu @ ECP :worship: )

I'll post a better review later.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
adaml said:
Thanks mate. Will do - I'd hoped to give it a wash and wax today then take some pics but the weather isn't playing ball!

Sorry to drag up an old post, but did you manage to get any pic adam. Also does your car sit level. I have heard that with some kits the back end is higher than the front.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
hehe, looks like we might be needing to sort some form of gb on these suspension kits at some point... seems we have a lot of people planning the same thing in the near future!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
the VW brigade have used these with varying levels of satisfaction. Anyone running very quick cars (300bhp +) are starting to move over to KW's as they seem to fair better under extreme driving conditions. A mate of mine has just changed his supercharged VR6 Corrado and Golf Rallye 1.8T suspension to KW's from 2yr old FK's.

He said for general caning about they (FK) were a big step up from OE kit, but over time they seemed to become imbalanced and squatted too heavily under braking in an uncontrolled manner.

I think general if you just hoof about they're supposed to be fairly good, horses for courses really.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
which set up did he have the hightec or konigsport?

i think the dampers are manufactured by different companies

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Pabs said:
hehe, looks like we might be needing to sort some form of gb on these suspension kits at some point... seems we have a lot of people planning the same thing in the near future!

A group buy could be a very good idea, but it would have to be after xmas at the earliest for me

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
TimBarratt said:
Sorry to drag up an old post, but did you manage to get any pic adam. Also does your car sit level. I have heard that with some kits the back end is higher than the front.

Ey up! I was just thinking I never got round to posting pics. With the weather and everything I've only managed to wash it twice since. The first time I did manage to take a few pics but wasn't really happy as the light was failing, and I didn't really have the room to get the shots I wanted.

I'll have to set up some pic hosting, but in the meantime my avatar is one of the pics I took. So if you squint, it might give you some idea, lol!

The car has settled a wee bit since then. I haven't measured but it does look slightly lower to me. I'm still loving the improved handling and ride quality. :thumbup:

Edit: Mine is the Hightec kit, not the coilovers. The rear is v. slightly higher than the front but it looks fine to me. I'm not into that "squatting" look.

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
bit confused adam - you have the hightec kit? Thought they were coilovers? Do u mind me asking how much you paid for them?

EDIT: Getting confused - its the highsports that are coilovers, not hightec lol

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Pics finally here

For Steve: pics here. Light was failing a bit so excuse the blueish tinge.

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386_2.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise