Vagcom help needed asap

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Are you running a decat, maybe it was disconnected for that reason, but surely it would have to be put into the map, if the lambda is disconnected wouldnt it throw it into limp mode?

BlueR

Jan 17, 2005
Hi, just want to say many thanks to Neil for popping round and helping out - was very decent of him.

Second to clear up some confusion, the lambda sensor has been disconnected because it has broken and needs replacing, however why would there be two lambda fault codes as only one is broken (disconnected one)

Also i have no cat on the car

BlueR

Jan 17, 2005
m0rk said:
why would jabbasport disconnect it?

but the fault is the same as when I fault code checked it last year... I'll dig it out later

Also as you may or may not know i've had the new manifold, turbo and many other bits fitted to the car since then...although havent had the lambda changed.

Is there only one lambda or two on my car??

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
davidol said:
what turbo and manifold have you got?

IHI with jabbasport special

I was wondering if it was the coilpacks could you swap them round to see if the misfire changed to a different cylinder (one of the packs new aint it?). Can you get it to misfire whilst revving on the drive before you try this tho.

BlueR

Jan 17, 2005
No, there isn't a new coil pack on it, it's just a "borrowed" one from Jabba, that was second hand as one of mine went down with mapping last week.

And yes it has IHI VF34 with Jabba manifold and has no cat. Was told the lambda sensor was broken (im not surprised after the old cracked manifold and running VERY rich) so it has been disconnected. Do the two faults refer to the one lambda sensor only?

I will order new coil packs next week but i'm not 100% convinced this is the problem :(

BlueR

Jan 17, 2005
NeilC said:
IHI with jabbasport special

I was wondering if it was the coilpacks could you swap them round to see if the misfire changed to a different cylinder (one of the packs new aint it?). Can you get it to misfire whilst revving on the drive before you try this tho.

It's hard to tell when driving, well impossible, which cylinder is misfiring. It is definitely an intermittent fault. To the "normal" driver as a passenger i could drive at 30/40 and they would be oblivious to a problem as as a driver i can only feel it slightly missing when put under load. However, then suddenly the car will noticeably misfire under load jerking around and then make a shotgun bang out the exhaust followed by lots of other pops. Then suddenly it feels like normal again.

When it is bad the idle is hunting a lot and is all over the place and sounds very rough :confused:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
BlueR - if yours is like the other Jabba'd IHI cars - then the MAF isn't able to accurately read the inlet air flow, so it's relying on the primary lambda sensor to correct for the fuelling at idle. now if that's shot as well - then the car cannot control it's idling at all. it can't tell if it's overfuelling or underfuelling.

replace that sensor (the wires were burnt I recall due to the DP routing) and it should be better....

BlueR

Jan 17, 2005
m0rk said:
BlueR - if yours is like the other Jabba'd IHI cars - then the MAF isn't able to accurately read the inlet air flow, so it's relying on the primary lambda sensor to correct for the fuelling at idle. now if that's shot as well - then the car cannot control it's idling at all. it can't tell if it's overfuelling or underfuelling.

replace that sensor (the wires were burnt I recall due to the DP routing) and it should be better....

Thanks, hear what your saying, however i've done 500 miles since the lambda has been disconnected and had no problems at all with the car and no misfire....yet suddenly 10 mins after i drive through a big puddle i get the problem. Too much of a conincidence to me.

Also was talking to my mate and remembered the car did this about a year ago when we were out , misfired on 2-3 cylinders, went to the cinema, 3 hours later came back and it was still doing the same thing, drove my mate home slowly and it suddenly cleared up and never happened again :confused:

BlueR

Jan 17, 2005
Well i drove the car round for about 30 mins last night and eventually it cleared up and stoppd misfiring :confused:

On the way to work this morning it was the same, driving normal and no misfire. However, feels like it isn't running 100% but the misfire and hesitating has definitely gone, yet it is still backfiring and popping more than usual :confused:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.