Modding Recommendations Please!

PaddyX21

Hi All!

Firstly I'll just say hi to you all, have been a lurker in the background for a while, but only just joined! I'm new to Seat's and for that matter Diesels, but I have been modding cars for about 4 years - previous experience is mainly with Rovers (esp. K-Series Engines). Have tuned Metro's up to running 14.008secs at pod, and there is alot of satisfaction in that (esp the look on other peoples faces :p). Intro over!

I have a bog-std FR TDi130, and I could be looking to modify it in the forseeable future, so just looking for your opinions on what would be best.

Lets say a hypothetical budget of £1000 (give or take a little) - what would you do with the money?

I prefer the Q-Car way of things, so not really looking at flashy body-kits - other than that its an open field!

Cheers in advance
Paddy

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Wider wheels and deffo Lower........so much space in those arches aint there!

also we are considering (i know we have been considering it a long time) modding the rear lights...
even them up a bit what with the reversing light one side......
get a rear light for a continental spec, a chromed fog light bulb and have
(R)(R)(C) (C)(R)(R) lenses on the back!

MS Design also do some lush skirts........bit pricey tho!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
a se of 17's will improve the handling no end, Then a sprinkling of REVo, Bring to the boil adding a little set of BRembos up front and you got the perfect little car.

Oh add a dash of Cupra Air intake and Green filter for taste.

As far as i see it thats your lot,

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Ant FR said:
a se of 17's will improve the handling no end, Then a sprinkling of REVo, Bring to the boil adding a little set of BRembos up front and you got the perfect little car.

Oh add a dash of Cupra Air intake and Green filter for taste.

As far as i see it thats your lot,
That's going to cost a fair bit more than the £1000 budget. :p

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
Remap,filter,Intake - £550 - to make it go better
312mm brakes - £225 - to stop better
FK Coilovers - £365 - to handle better

Just under £1100,

Then save up more and get:

FMIC - £700 - to cool air better
17's - £600 - to look better,

Hows that sound?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
mrcoyote said:
That's going to cost a fair bit more than the £1000 budget. :p

oh yeah, baaaah who really sticks to £1000 budget, we allknow £1000 means £2000 really.:lol:

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
Is that a Nova (vw based kit car) as your avatar?

Exhaust, intake, chip, should just take you to around the £1000 mark. TT brakes can be found on ebay for another £100.

Triple D

alot of you people are forgetting a clutch if your gonna go the remap route. there is no point having all that power and torque if you clutch is slipping.

T. Spark

spaniels fr said:
alot of you people are forgetting a clutch if your gonna go the remap route. there is no point having all that power and torque if you clutch is slipping.

Then buy a nice smooooth remap like C-C that means your clutch doesnt slip :D

Winner!

rule number 1,
always set up the chassis before more power.
(brakes, suspension, )
then transmission
(clutch, flywheel,)
then when the car can handle and stop, it's time to make it go faster.
(start with CAI and exhaust to make it breathe better)

Finally,
make it look good
(18's, subtle body mods)

Then realise you've spent the same amount of money doing it up as buying a Porsche for the weekend :lol:

PaddyX21

Cheers all!!

Okay:

1) Yes that is a Nova in my Avatar, it is my work in progress as the 35year old engine just melted on me [:@] Will whack some pics up later.

2) Given the fact that I could throw stones at Mega4 from where I work (not that I'd want to i might add!!), will the std drivetrain cope with Revo? I don't like talk of slipping clutches as they are a pain in the rear end!

3) How easy is the car to work on yourself? Will it throw a wobbly if you haven't got a VAG-COM? This is why i love old cars, no worries on this score at all!!

4) How essential are the brakes? I'm not a big believer in the 'big brake' craze - are the existing brakes sufficient for the weight or not? Power has shag all to do with the size of your brakes unless you want to track day it. If it is the case that under serious stress (ie Motorway braking 90 -> 0) they are going to cause problems then i'll replace them, but baring in mind I drive 120+ motorway miles everyday and haven't had any problems yet is it needed?

I'm sure I'll think of more, but am going to look for a few pics of the Nova to stick up now :D

Cheers again
P

PaddyX21

14_3.jpg

4d_3.jpg

bc_3.jpg

dc_3.jpg

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
how awesome does that look.......
its as flat as an after eight mint!!!!

is it your project car? bet it shifts...what size is the engine and power is the engine?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
PaddyX21 said:
Cheers all!!

2) Given the fact that I could throw stones at Mega4 from where I work (not that I'd want to i might add!!), will the std drivetrain cope with Revo? I don't like talk of slipping clutches as they are a pain in the rear end!

P

Having spent a fair bit on mod's myself I woul say get a Remap and a Panel filter an nothing else for the time being.

Everything else after that is more money for diminishing returns.

Cutch's on these diesel's are weak so save the rest of your £1,000 budget, the clutch shouldn't be a problem but they are being asked to cope with a big slug of torque (TDi PD130's clutch is far better than the 115,110,105 versions) .

PaddyX21

Lol! Total height at highest point is 42"

Its a magnesium alloy flat 4 air-cooled engine
twin 40's
Dual cannon exhaust

Current size, not alot - its melted!!:flamed:
Available sizes: budget dependand 1300 - 3700cc I'll probably but a 1914cc big bore engine in. Might go the 2300cc porsche route tho, havent made up my mind yet

Needs quite a bit of work atm, but the it is a 35yo car (free tax! :D :D )

P

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.