LCR Change for VXR

Chins

Jul 15, 2001
Bucks
Visit site
paul26982 said:
vxr astras will just be the same as the gsi turbo's on like 54 reg etc, they will devalue in simular way

How have you arrived at this prophetic statment?

Car will hold their value based on things such as

1. Looks
2. Performance
3. Supply
4. Demand
5. Competition
6. Reviews

The VXR looks better and goes better than the old GSI. They will make 2000 per year (half the GTI number). There is healthy demand. The old GSI had no street cred, had crap reviews and looked crap - hence poor residuals

I also think with the centres that are now offering semi factory upgrades it will enhance desirability.

My guess is that the VXR will pretty much match an LCR. It will also be interesting to see how mags start to review real production cars now. EVO, Top Gear etc are all getting long termers. Most will then have staged upgrades at the Vauxhall Performance Centre.

Jonathan

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
morebeer said:
.......mine however is going in yet again (prior to my part exchange) for a new gear knob, badges, window rubbers and to have the gear pedal refited (for the um-teenth time). If that is the mark of a top quality brand, I am surprised.

Hardly 'proper' faults are they.....???

If they are the only faults I have with my LCR, then I will be a very, very happy boy !!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
No matter how tarted up it is, at the end of the day it's a Vauxhall Astra and will depreciate in the same way as Vauxhall's always have and will.

The fact that a 222bhp LCR on a 5-year old chassis design can near-enough match a brand new, supposedly state-of-the-art 237bhp VXR on the road and track says alot for the Leon and not much for the new VXR in reality.

My 2001 Leon Cupra has never had a single thing wrong with it bar a duff horn (big deal) since day one, no rattles either, best put together car I've ever had.

I don't really dislike the Astra VXR or the Focus ST in general, but Ford and Vauxhall will always be hard-pressed to match anything in the VAG range on build quality, residuals, etc.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Chins said:
They will make 2000 per year (half the GTI number).

Never believe a manufacturer or salesman that tells you something like that.

Honda said at the CTR launch that it would be strictly limited to 1500 units and there's now loads of them on the roads and they facelifted it at least once.

SEAT said they would only make 250 LCRs for the UK! (They also said they were handbuilt by magic motorsport fairies in a special factory whose exact location varied with the phases of the moon* )

(* I might be exaggerating this point)

Then they made some more, and sold some more. And then made some cosmetic changes and put the 225 engine in it and sold more. They must have sold thousands over the 2.5 years.

I think even Citroen said it of the saxo vts back in 1997, if you can believe that. I must have, I bought one :redface:

If there's demand, they will make more.

Chins said:
Car will hold their value based on things such as

1. Looks
2. Performance
3. Supply
4. Demand
5. Competition
6. Reviews

True but also driven by fashion and "brand image". Remember when the new Mini came out it was selling used for more than list of a new car.

Vauxhalls depreciate more than say VWs, it's a fact of life. They also depreciate less than SSangYongs or whatever.

That's down to a few things but if a brand is seen to depreciate more, people buying used expect the cars to be cheaper, so market forces make them cheaper, it's self-fulfilling.

If you want good residuals, get something German with a badge. And if you want an investment buy a house not a car.

Cards on table I just don't like Vauxhalls. But if anybody likes the VXR, I wish them all the best, it's their money. I won't slag anyone off for buying what they like best. People seem to have a need to justify that whatever they purchased is "the best" against what others bought.

Chins

Jul 15, 2001
Bucks
Visit site
adaml said:
If you want good residuals, get something German with a badge. And if you want an investment buy a house not a car.

Done that. RS4 lost loads, S3's lost loads, M3 not as bad (but bought when they first came out).

Last car MKV GTI lost £4k in 7 months. [:@]

My VXR if sold today in 4 months would lose £1.7k.

Dont buy cars for investments. If I did I wouldnt buy German:lol:

My GTI to the same spec as my VXR cost 22k. The VXR 18k. I will lose less on the VXR. German means higher buy prices. The better residuals do not always compensate - fact.

Jonathan

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Chins said:
Last car MKV GTI lost £4k in 7 months. [:@]

My VXR if sold today in 4 months would lose £1.7k.

My GTI to the same spec as my VXR cost 22k. The VXR 18k. I will lose less on the VXR.

Interesting. Looking at Parkers, I know not the most accurate, but useful for comparison on a like for like basis. On 2005/55 plates it says VXR cost new £19972, part ex £13770. The GTI it says cost new £18972, part ex £15810.

In the real world if residuals on the VXR are higher at the moment, it has to be a short term blip - maybe because it's the new kid on the block, the most powerful of the newer hot hatches etc. I'd be very surprised (nay gobsmacked) if, longer term, the VXR would lose less than the GTI.

Why may I ask did you get rid of the Golf after 7 months? You've just taken the biggest hit around that point.

Chins

Jul 15, 2001
Bucks
Visit site
adaml said:
Interesting. Looking at Parkers, I know not the most accurate, but useful for comparison on a like for like basis. On 2005/55 plates it says VXR cost new £19972, part ex £13770. The GTI it says cost new £18972, part ex £15810.

In the real world if residuals on the VXR are higher at the moment, it has to be a short term blip - maybe because it's the new kid on the block, the most powerful of the newer hot hatches etc. I'd be very surprised (nay gobsmacked) if, longer term, the VXR would lose less than the GTI.

Why may I ask did you get rid of the Golf after 7 months? You've just taken the biggest hit around that point.

Go find a dealer selling a VXR at the prices they quote:p

Go find a std GTI, it doesnt happen.

Parkers has about the accuracy of an american cruise missile.

On a like for like basis, I wouldnt of lost anymore on the VXR as the Golf using Parkers. In std form my VXR cost me £16,650, so less than a £3k loss, the golf would of cost me £100 more.

I got shot of the GTI because it was booooorrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg. I was happy for the wife to drive it, enough said. She is not allowed to drive the VXR:D

As I said, I dont buy cars for their residuals, but for the pleasure, hence a high mortgage:D

Last edited:

DIESELDAVE

Feb 2, 2005
jesus this thread has gone for ages...has this thread turned into the LCR is the best car since sliced bread and all others have too many faults - dont look good - residuals etc etc ..better than the VXR better than the ST ! How people can tell me that a ST or VXR looks crap or too simliar to standard ones amazes me and also that their interiors are crap ! Th LCR has to have one blandest interiors ever ..black with a bit of red ...wow ! If i had the chance to swap my LCR for an ST or VXR i would jump at the chance to change. I love my LCR and think its fantastic but just cause ive got one i wont defend it till the end if a better car comes on the market like the ST and VXR. Alot of people on here swap their cars for none vag ones...so what ! its their choice and we should just accept that the individual likes their new car better than their old one !

I agree DIESELDAVE, though it's not surprising that people on a car forum will defend their brand to the end.

The Astra VXR easily looks the best, the Focus ST performs the best IMHO. My LCR sold for £10,750 in the end, in other words it depreciated by £7,250 in two years. Quite steep I reckon, but the VXR and ST won't be any different I guarantee it.

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
GreyKnight said:
Like someone said earlier, you don't buy cars as an investment. At least not "normal" cars...

Doh!!! I meant hope SO...... stupid fingers !!!!!:cry: :cry:

Edit: Wouldn't be able to afford one otherwise !!

Last edited:

Turbowayne

The Great White !!!
Mar 3, 2004
South Wales
Visit site
morebeer said:
I dont feel the VXR is tacky in any way. Both myself and my wife prefered the looks over the ST3, which we felt looked just like any other Focus. An opinion shared with most of my friends when discussing which vehicle to purchase. Saying that though, life would be boring if everyone felt the same.

I agree the ST is just too boring !!!

My LCR has not given me a day's trouble in two years since new. I hope my new VXR will be as good and i also agree with the comments about a fresh newer feel to the VXR.

Well it should be the leon is about 6 years old i think !!!

;) ;) ;)

I have to say that having seen a few more Focus ST's on the roads these past few weeks I'm actually now quite happy that I cancelled my order for one. They just don't stand out from the crowd unless they're orange and I don't actually like the orange as a colour.

The Astra VXR that's parked outside my local Vauxhall dealer looks absolutely stunning and is a real head turner. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with yours! Too bad that I need a frugal car for work otherwise I'd be very tempted myself...

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
GreyKnight said:
I have to say that having seen a few more Focus ST's on the roads these past few weeks I'm actually now quite happy that I cancelled my order for one. They just don't stand out from the crowd unless they're orange and I don't actually like the orange as a colour.

Totally agree, saw a black ST and a Titanium Focus within a space of about 20 seconds this morning.... hmm... very similar, could even argue the Titanium looks better having the darker wheels....

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
this is a very interesting post for me to read.

I was very close to ordering an ST. But to be honest.. how much better would it than the LCR. (i know there are more reasons for changing cars)

I had to talk myself out of saying "ok ill have an orange one" to the dealer just before their official release when they had one in the showroom. I even stopped myself having a test drive when offered.

Seen loads on the road now.. but am glad i didnt order one... looks good from the front and inside.. dont like the back at all. Think ill wait for an RS version if they do one..

I really couldnt live with the interior in the VXR either. and i think it looks best in black where it hides the front bumper. But it does look very agressive.. grrrr

rob

CASSMAN

auto emocion
Dec 20, 2004
scotland
Well i drove both the VXR and the ST, after owning 2 LCR's, and guess what..........? i bought another LCR! so there! how d'ya like them apples!

p.s. Also owned an EVO 8 before going back to the LCR. :bleh: :funk:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise