TCS Expination for a complete newbie

andycupra

status subject to change
CupraUK said:
I powerslide all the time in the wet, I still think I can do a much better job than the crappy system. If it were something clever like the 4 wheel stuff in the Skyline then I'd have some faith in it.

If I've got understeer then I want power to get me out of it.

good luck with that!
:lol:

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I diddn't phrase that very well!

try "if I've got understeer then I want power WHEN I WANT IT to get me out of it". I don't want to dip then power when I've found adhesion and find that the damn ECU has other ideas.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
As I understand it:

TCS looks at the difference between front and rear wheel speeds and cuts power if it detects a loss of traction at the front - that is, front wheels overspeeding. It would come in if you overcooked a drag-race start from the traffic lights or if you push it too hard in a corner. If you get TCS cutting in on a dry road, you have hit the limit of adhesion for your tyre/suspension combination, and been saved from losing the plot in an embarassing way. If you feel you need more performance, look to your tyres and suspension, to get the power down.

If you switch off TCS you still have EDL which is part of the ABS system and can't be switched off. It mimics the function of a limited slip diff by braking the unloaded wheel (usually the one inside the curve) - without TCS, this will let you break traction with the outside wheel too, which usually leads to understeering into the scenery.

Outside of the racetrack, it is not considered polite to drive on the limit of adhesion, as you have no margin for error. If you find you are regularly provoking the TCS, and have already sorted the suspension and tyres, then take up circuit racing, where your accident is unlikely to hurt anybody else and full emergency facilities are close at hand.

The TCS has to be switched off when you have a puncture and use the spare. It's also confused by low-friction surfaces e.g. deep snow, mud, gravel.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
i dont have a problem with TCS as on some cars its very good, eg focus's

but the tcs on the leons/golfs is quite frankly pants. others tcs systems managed to cut power gradually to control grip, not totally knock out all power completley, thats why i dont use it, the facts it totally cuts all power, its unecessary

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
i think ESP is the next step up and has TCS as well as something else.... god it feels like a monday morning.. im going back to sleep.. *dont want to be in work*

Rob

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
The difference is TCS is just traction control, i.e. it will act when it senses 1 or both wheels have lost grip.

ESP is a full stability control programme, designed to keep the car under some sort of control during an emergency or when the driver has lost the plot. It will act on individual or mutliple wheels at the same time to maintain grip and control - i.e. brake an individual rear wheel in the event of turn in/lift off oversteer to help stabilise the car again.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Good points made about the wisdom of (not) being at the limits of cornering grip on public roads.

However being at the limits of traction while accelerating is something drivers of powerful FWD cars will get frequently.

Picture this scene. You're waiting to join a large, busy 2 lane roundabout. Cars are going pretty quickly round it in a continuous stream (often going all the way round in the outside lane). There's one like this on my way to work and if you wait for a "driving test" gap you will be there all morning.

You spot a gap in the far lane and pull away to join it - not a drag start but all the same you want to match speed with the traffic asap. You start rolling, more power comes in an suddenly the front wheels slip. TCS cuts power for a second and voila you've lost your boost and bogged down, but now you're sat across the nearside lane in the path of oncoming traffic, and that turbo seems to take a looong time to spool up again.

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
I actually find it works better now my car is chipped. Before it would just cut the power in 2nd if it span, where as now its almost controlled spin.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Georgel said:
I actually find it works better now my car is chipped. Before it would just cut the power in 2nd if it span, where as now its almost controlled spin.

I find the same but the TCS hasn't changed, the CC phase 1 map feeds the torque in more progressively so it's easier to predict the amount of throttle you need.