Electronic Diff Lock...definitive answer

ToledoSteve

I know that, there were threads on this subject back in January, but I don,t think my specific question was answered. ie. How do I know that my car has EDL. ie doumentary evidence. where do I look. It does make the ripping cloth sound on snow and mud, and gets further than I thought it would. My second question is: when I dry my brakes after fording water, the power dies...trying to brake whilst accelerating, is this a consequence of EBD. again do I have it? The brakes are certainly very good in an emergency stop situation. anywayI will give the details in my service book and maybe someonecan tell me if they show these items of kit. The car is a 99 model Toledo 1M2574TOLEDO NOTCH SPORT TDI5G DEA LS5N--------KL 81 KW AHF 2B1 B0N c7F G0C H6S J0L MF4 Q4H 1AH 1G2 2PX 1N1 5RV 5SJ T8U 8E2 --- 8TF 8YE 8GD 8L3 8RM 1KP 1LS ---

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
I cant help with the EDL question but the loss of power when lightly breaking is down to the 'drive by wire', the car knows you are braking so assumes you can't possibly be wanting to accelerate as well so it backs of the power, (this is assuming a 99 Toledo is drive by wire).

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I've been wondering about the list of option codes on my own build sheet, and your post has prompted me to do a bit more googling.

Your car definitely has EDL :D

Going through the list of ident codes you gave, I can decode them as follows.

1M2574 - model number, corresponds to -
TOLEDO NOTCH SPORT
TDI5G
DEA - This is the gearbox code, this is an 02JA gearbox
LS5N--------KL - S5N is the paint code, Imperial Blue
81 KW AHF - 81KW is the engine output, 110BHP. AHF is the engine code

Option codes
from

http://www.audi-forums.com/t1150-audi-80-optioncodes.htm
and
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia/decodes-octavia-primary-options/2954/#post33607

B0N - component part set complying with vehicle type for Great Britain, various
C7F - alloy wheels 6Jx15 for SEAT, version 2 (five-hole)
G0C - 5-speed manual transmission
H6S - tires 195/65 R 15 V
J0L - Battery - 340A (70AH)
MF4 - 4-cylinder turbo diesel engine1.9L/81kW with TDIMVEG 2 base engine is T8U
Q4H - sports/comfort seat - front
T8U - 4 cylinder diesel engine - 1.9L/81KW TDI, unit 038.G
1AH - anti-lock brake system - abs- and electronic differential lock -eds-
1G2 - steel spare wheel with OE tyre instead of space-saving emergency spare wheel
1KP - disc brakes - 232X9MM - rear
1LS - disc brakes - 280X22MM - front
1N1 - power steering
2B1 - muffler -exhaust
2PX - sports steering wheel (leather)
5RV - outer right rear-view mirror, non-spherical
5SJ - outer left rear-view mirror, convex
8E2 - (code not in the list)
8GD - alternator - 90A
8L3 - roof antenna
8RM - 8 loudspeakers (passive)
8TF - rear fog lamp - left a. right
8YE - radio for comfort-class vehicle

Your brake question: TDI-engined cars have a switch on the brake pedal which signals the ecu to cut the engine to idle speed. This is a safety measure, to prevent a faulty accelerator potentiometer from causing the engine to run away. This should be explained in the handbook...

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Muttley said:
Your brake question: TDI-engined cars have a switch on the brake pedal which signals the ecu to cut the engine to idle speed. This is a safety measure, to prevent a faulty accelerator potentiometer from causing the engine to run away. This should be explained in the handbook...

Not just TDIs, petrol drive-by-wire cars too. Mine does it.

ToledoSteve

Edl

Thanks for all that Muttley, I never expected as much. I did suspect that the, power cut off was because of the drive by wire, and a 99 Toledo TDI is DBW. But in my question I also asked if my car has EBA electronic brake assist, because it certainly feels like it.....if these brakes are this good as standard, I don,t think I,ll need an upgrade if I chip the car to 130???do I have such a wondrous device? or are the brakes just damn good?

ToledoSteve

Further to my last, I think I meant EBD electronic brake distribution?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
ToledoSteve wrote

Thanks for all that Muttley, I never expected as much. I did suspect that the, power cut off was because of the drive by wire, and a 99 Toledo TDI is DBW. But in my question I also asked if my car has EBA electronic brake assist, because it certainly feels like it.....if these brakes are this good as standard, I don,t think I,ll need an upgrade if I chip the car to 130???do I have such a wondrous device? or are the brakes just damn good?

Further to my last, I think I meant EBD electronic brake distribution?

To take this in reverse order . . .

EBD - nothing called EBD was ever fitted to a Toledo as far as I can tell. EBD seems to be a special refinement of ABS which reduces front-wheel braking while maintaining rear-wheel brake pressure to get best stopping power out of the car under all load conditions. It certainly wouldn't cause sudden power loss when drying the brakes after a ford.

EBA :ill:
The work of the Devil, a device for isolating the driver from the outside world.
EBA, like power steering, is a device intended to help little old ladies to control a heavy modern car. I quote -

"Electronic Brake Assist uses sensors to detect a panic situation and immediately add braking pressure to all wheels so the ABS system reduces stopping distances."

So this magically detects when you really need to stop ASAP and adds pressure to the brakes. Theres too much handwavium in this for me - how does it tell when I want a crash stop and when I just want a firm stop, eh? :-o I'd want this switched off, permanently.

This would also probably not cause the engine to die when drying out brakes after a ford, unless it thought you were in a panic about it, I suppose. :wtf:

Ayway, as far as I know, no Toledo has anything called EBA.

I find the brakes on my Toledo to be too sensitive, making it very difficult to come to a smooth stop. They certainly provide a very firm feeling of deceleration. However, unless you are a very enthusiastic driver, you won't find out if you need an upgrade, because brake performance upgrades are about maintaining braking efficiency when the brakes are heavily used and getting hot. So it all depends on what you intend to do with the extra 20 BHP.

ToledoSteve

Thanks again Muttley, I probably did mean EBA, so we can conclude that I,ve just got damn good brakes, (In comparison to older VAG products...golfs and passatts I have driven in the past) These brakes are good enough for me to conclude that I won,t need an upgade when I go to 130...They just took me by surprise, going, as I say by past experience. They are surprisingly good in either an emergency or a hot stop from motorway speeds.. So perhaps I,ll just upgrade the flexy hoses.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise