LCR Dogbone Mount Bushes

Turbowayne

The Great White !!!
Mar 3, 2004
South Wales
Visit site
OK done 1k or more now and i feel that the increased vibration is not dying away after the fitment of the 1 uprated poly dogbone mount bush. God knows what the 2 fitted would feel like.

However the power delivery is smoother and less wheel hop for sure !

Why is there no in between uprated bushes ?

I still feel the orig ones are for sure too soft & that the poly ones are just a little too hard. Is there a compromise somewhere here without fitting the EIP mount ?

Does anyone make uprated bushes that are not as severe as the poly type etc ???

:( :( :(

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
If it's really "bad" then they may be overtightened, IIRC a couple of people have had this and the problem went away or reduced loads after they had them refitted.

Who fitted them?

I have both the poly bushes in mine, fitted by JBS (well I fitted the bushes, JBS bolted it to the car) and I can't say I can really feel a big increase in the vibration (maybe when the fans kick in a stand still).

I've read that some people up the idle with vag-com to smooth things out.

Turbowayne

The Great White !!!
Mar 3, 2004
South Wales
Visit site
They are torqued correctly ! as per all the sites etc. with a special low setting Snap-on wrench, so cannot be that : 20 ft lb is what i used ???

This vibration increase is only at idle etc. It obviously gets progressively worse if the idle drops. or under the load at idle due to air con, lights, heater etc. It is not terrible but definately noticeable and distracts from the usual smoothness i have experienced as an LCR owner.

The neuspeed site recommends only having the bigger bush fitted to reduced harshness & vibration so i am not optimistic about 2 fitted with yet more vibration etc.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

devilman

don't know if this helps, but i've fitted the powerflow bush to my LC, and god what a difference, no more engine hop in the wet at take off. Well worth the 15quid :D

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
I agree with the vibrationn, but i think its more to do with what you have been used to.

It definitly does die down after a while, just bear with it,

Turbowayne

The Great White !!!
Mar 3, 2004
South Wales
Visit site
devilman said:
don't know if this helps, but i've fitted the powerflow bush to my LC, and god what a difference, no more engine hop in the wet at take off. Well worth the 15quid :D

Yes the yellow powerflex ones are the one's i have !

I have only fitted the bigger one at the moment, it was impossible to fit the 2 as the bolt could not be done back up & we tried vices and all sorts of clamping devices to compress.

"They are just too big" WHY ???

Ju.

Oct 4, 2004
Bradford
Turbowayne said:
Yes the yellow powerflex ones are the one's i have !

I have only fitted the bigger one at the moment, it was impossible to fit the 2 as the bolt could not be done back up & we tried vices and all sorts of clamping devices to compress.

"They are just too big" WHY ???

I wrapped a ratchet strap around mine to pull it together when I did it, worked a treat :thumbup:

Had a very noticable vibration at first on take off, but it's not so bad now!

Julian

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Wayne has your vibration improved since you posted?

I've now had the bushes on 6 months and the vibration still annoys me a bit. After fitting, it did settle down a bit but it took 2 months and 2k miles and vibration is still quite noticeable idling when cold. There's also an increase in engine noise over standard, which I can even feel at mid rpm on the motorway.

I don't know myself if the torque is right but the guy who fitted them is a mechanic I trust and I made sure he knew about the correct torque settings.
It seems to be a choice between soft and squishy OE and rock hard poly. It should in theory be possible to have your cake and eat it.

The ideal would be compliant enough to totally damp the higher frequency, low amplitude oscillations (the engine vibration) but to resist distortion under high amplitude low frequency movement (rocking under high torque).

My theory is having a smaller soft bush and a larger hard bush might achieve the above so I might put the small std one back in.

Turbowayne

The Great White !!!
Mar 3, 2004
South Wales
Visit site
Well too be honest the vibration never dies down . I feel that people just get use to it. As u know i have the powerflex large bush and the orig smaller bush in place.

I also experience more vibration at midrange revs at about 3500 rpm !

It is a real downside for these bushes. The shame is the car puts the power down better with the poly bushes. The idle vibration is far worse however.

OK WHY CAN'T SOMEONE MAKE UPRATED BUSHES IN RUBBER OR SOFTER POLY ???

THE ORIG ONES ARE TOO SOFT BY FAR AND THE POLY R JUST TOO HARD. THERE MUST BE A NICHE IN THE MARKET HERE I FEEL WITHOUT SHELLING OUT £100 FOR THE EIP MOUNT THAT APPARENTLY HAS NICE RUBBER UPRATED BUSHES IN.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Turbowayne said:
THE ORIG ONES ARE TOO SOFT BY FAR AND THE POLY R JUST TOO HARD. THERE MUST BE A NICHE IN THE MARKET HERE I FEEL WITHOUT SHELLING OUT £100 FOR THE EIP MOUNT THAT APPARENTLY HAS NICE RUBBER UPRATED BUSHES IN.

The EIP one is excellent IMO and a piece of cake to fit..........well Jock at Westec found it a piece of cake to fix, I stood to one side pointing helpfully :whistle: and drinking tea, it only took about 10mins to fit.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
EIP Mount

Well in the end I went for the EIP mount. After it's been on for a few weeks I have to say it has transformed the car. Vibration is down to a barely felt minimum and if anything the transmission seems to be "tauter". With the poly bushes even with mucho vibrato I was still getting a little wheel hop. With the EIP mount I have almost no hop. Don't know how that works, but I'm not complaining.

Oh and I love the EIP short shifter too, it just makes the gearchange feel that little more sporty. Hard to describe, but it changes an ok but slightly notchy gear change into one that feels more precise and mechanical. Logically it can't decrease notchiness, but the slightly increased effort and shorter throw does make it feel more positive.

Both mods highly recommended.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
adaml said:
Both mods highly recommended.

Couldn't agree more about both mod's really good value for money, also nice to hear from somebody who has tried both dog bone mounts though....a lot of people swear by the powerflex bushes and with the EIP mount costing so much more I can see why people go with Powerflex....however, I always thought the EIP mount was excellent.

The short shifter will become second nature as will the engine mount, it won;t be till you drive a standard car and wonder what the hell is wrong with it that you appreciate the EIP parts.

Both mod's put a smile on your face for weeks....it;s like having a new car ;)

mirroreyes

I'm going to fit the Powerflex bushes soon, maybe I'll try just the small one and see what that does.:idea:

Darth Tater

Feb 16, 2006
Kent
As mentioned above I've got an EIP one on order from Westec and will post findings when it's been fitted

However, from what I've read on the forum (and I did a lot of searching) it seemed general consensus was that the EIP gave less vibration than cheaper mounts and was therefore worth the extra dosh. Apparently has to be torque'd correctly though

Guess you can always get the Pwerflex bushes for £20 or so and if they're rubbish upgrade to the EIP? :shrug:

I see you already have the Powerflex so can fit them anyway

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.