mk3 new clutch info needed

helms

Console Race Car Driver
Jan 30, 2005
Basingstoke
is it defo the clutch tho? could be fly wheel warped?
Think u get blue spots on the fly wheel and thats how u tell

(if im talking bollox then say so, but that is what i was told many a year ago)

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
i aint got any clue, really aint that knowledged on gearboxes and clutches.

I guessed at the clutch because ive read about slipping and occasionally theres a strong smell like u get when dropping the clutch etc except it happens to me if i go full throttle for a long time

plus to look at the flywheel they'll need to remove the gearbox and clutch anyway. im going to stick with the original plan which was new clutch and see what the garage says once theyv had a look

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
acidstrato said:
thats the kit i suggested in the post above but is that everything thats needed? or is there something extra?

Presure plate, Friction material and releaser (AKA thrust bearing).

What about new bolts? don't use the old ones. They stretch oddly enough.

Well, at least you know that it's the clutch also listed for the Std R. Whixh gives you a little more reliance over knowing your original was put on to a car designed for 156BHP.

There are other 'standard' options though ;P. Which give a tad more tollerace and fit onto the existing flywheel.

Dor.

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
acidstrato said:
are u saying that the standard clutch on a cupra was not the same as the one in the R?

No, I'm saying that, in theory, the are the same. Although if you look at the parts catalogue there is some confusion between 220mm and 225mm friction facings....

Appologies if my first post missed the mark, was simply trying to say that even though you do have an uprated engine setup, the OEM clutch was good enought for a basic tuned version of the std cupra i.e the R, so it should be OK (within limits) to replace yours with a direct OEM replacement.

I actually wouldn't be at all suprised if they had not discontinued the 156/180 version and gone with a VW wide 180 varient clutch for all K03 / S 1.8 based engines (I suppose that depends on flywheel accomodation though)

Cheers :)

Dor.

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
sorry didnt read the thread...still have'nt just thought i'd mention whilst on the clutch subject as it's what i will be doing.

I'll get reading

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
go price a g60 flywheel and then decide whether its sensible :no: i fancied G60 flywheel and clutch after Martyn pointed it out but its mucho candy

with the number of ibizas with much more power than me running on the standard clutch there really does seem no reason to change while running the standard turbo. Its just not cost effective to upgrade the clutch unless its absolutley necessary

which within the limits of the k03 turbo, its not. even on a k03s it doesnt seem that much of a valuable mod

yeah it does seem logical that for what power my car is running its well within the limitations of the stock clutch, Its my belief that the clutch has been abused in the past, i know iv never dumped the clutch myself but that said iv not been kind to it either and while as standard it was more than capable, the extra torque from Revo just knocked its socks off!'

anyway parts been ordered, hoping to recieve tomorrow and then get it in by the end of the week

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
get in touch with some motor factor's like andrew pages or german and swedish for a good quality luk or ap lockheed standard clutch.
A garage will only charge you around 25% on top of what they pay for it.Chance's are they will be getting trade price so you may as well book it in plus if there's any warranty issues in the future its all down to the garage

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
didnt realise the standard item is so good i will most likely renew the standard clutch as im aiming for around 250............................for now :)

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
Dormouse said:
Whatever you find out, post it up. It's all good info, especially as I think there's going to be a sizable amount of Ibiza cupra's starting to get to the clutch changing time of thier lives :p

Dor.

fair point mate...a pal of mine built a 360 ish bhp lardy mk3 golf and seriously abused it on a regular basis using a diesel clutch/g60 fly and had no problems with it

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
as said iv ordered the part already, its an oem Sachs clutch kit and at the price i got it at + what they are charging to fit it i saved around 60quid
its the exact part they would have ordered from VW/Seat

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
yeah there really isnt much information with new clutches in the scn archives

from wot i found u can pay around 300+ for an uprated piece of kit but a number of ppl including 1 running IHI informed me they were still using the stock clutch.

to quote myself from a few weeks ago " I cant believe its more common for the clutch pedal to snap than the clutch to slip"

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
ibiza-cupra said:
didnt realise the standard item is so good i will most likely renew the standard clutch as im aiming for around 250............................for now :)

Probably deliberately over rated. Remember that most of the time Cupra will probably only have 1 or 2 up and that the car has to have been designed to cope 4 up (I imagine) - more weight = extra clutch strain.

+ we don't all scoot up to santa pod everyday, so noting that in-gear hard acceleration is much less of a wear on a clutch than a '5-4-3-2-1 go' routine.....It's possibly OK to conclude that clutch wear does'nt get silly until 250+ BHP and associated Torque? Thoughts?

Dor.

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
acidstrato said:
as said iv ordered the part already, its an oem Sachs clutch kit and at the price i got it at + what they are charging to fit it i saved around 60quid
its the exact part they would have ordered from VW/Seat

well done fella it doesnt hurt to do some researching to dave a few quid here and there im a big fan myself:D

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
Dormouse said:
Probably deliberately over rated. Remember that most of the time Cupra will probably only have 1 or 2 up and that the car has to have been designed to cope 4 up (I imagine) - more weight = extra clutch strain.

+ we don't all scoot up to santa pod everyday, so noting that in-gear hard acceleration is much less of a wear on a clutch than a '5-4-3-2-1 go' routine.....It's possibly OK to conclude that clutch wear does'nt get silly until 250+ BHP and associated Torque? Thoughts?

Dor.

true...you have to take into account the way you drive, size of wheels/ice install etc it sounds to me like he is a sensible driver so standard will sufice.
But im sure someone like my mk3 golf 1.8t pal for example would chew it up in no time going on if the vehicle was 250 bhp as im using the driver as an examle

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Dormouse said:
.....It's possibly OK to conclude that clutch wear does'nt get silly until 250+ BHP and associated Torque? Thoughts?

Dor.

yes id agree ofcourse then u can start picking at the old RR debate again, to pick a case study, say Martyns Ibiza Cupra R

hes running every available mod under the sun on K03S turbo...Revo st2 HB 9! LOL

and yet iv heard no complaints from him regarding standard clutch, at a recent RR it produced no where near 250bhp but no-one can really deny that whether the RR figures he had were or werent accurate, he's 'probably' running near to the car maximum performance at which on a K03S turbo id say is about 240-250bhp with torque an even higher number

ofcourse its obvious that 2 identical clutches fitted to the same car could perform differently because of the bigger impact that is the amount of miles on each clutch and the life that each one has led.

i.e. the clutch from joe bloggs's ibiza compared to one of the rockingham Rs

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.