problem!

Mckellar

for about a week now my ibiza hasnt moved.
coming home one night i started getting a rumbling noise whenever the car moved (not just in gear, in neutral too)

sounds like cv joint/driveshaft i think im not sure though, but me and my dad both tried to shake the bottom of the car and everything seemed solid.

anyone any ideas how i can check, it doesnt sound healthy to drive to a garage, sounds really loud clunking noise,knocking noise!

any help appreciated :(

Cryptedvibe

Apr 26, 2005
the knockiog noise does sound like a driveshaft or cv joint. this may be a stupid question but.....have you checked the wheel bolts? mine was knocking one day and i immediately thought driveshaft, but when i went to take the wheel off, the bolts were all loose. iv'e heard of several mk2s with the front wheels comming off after fitting aftermarket wheels.

Mckellar

good idea, but i have tried that unfortunately, first thing i did cos it happened before, only thing that stopped my wheel rolling away was my arch cos it comes down under the tyre ..scary!

so i think ill need to get it onto the pickup truck, damn :cry:

bizaman

I am The BOFH
Feb 23, 2005
Satans Layby
bizaman.blogspot.com
Thsi recetnyl happened to me (the noise not the wheel falling off) Noise was in neutral. I also had a juddering on full lock through the wheel. So i "assumed" that the CV joint needed replaceing. I did this guess what? Gearbox was knackered to. Dont forget if it makes thenoise in nuetral at a stand still it isnt the CV joint. Mine hadnt done this in nuetral before so i thought it was just the drive shaft!

Mckellar

got it sorted, and for free too!
was a combo of 2 loose bolts on the nearside front alloy and a bolt from the bottom of the gearbox that links the driveshaft

aparently its a common problem with VAG, but im not complaining, took it a 10 mile run today and not a noise:D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.