Leon 110 TDI - Limp Mode Last Night

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Hello all :)

Long time no type.....

Leon has been superb from a reliability perspective, but is now mostly driven by ze missus (well someone has to hump the old porker about ;) )

This means it doesn't get the regular VNT excercise that I used to give it.

Took kids to see X-Men3 last night (which was actually very good and Kelsey Grammer (sp?) does a surprisingly good job of the Beast), and were running late to get to a restaurant we'd booked afterwards. She was warm, so I held back running up the motorway slip road, and finally jumped past Dawdler Proton when we hit the motorwaty.

Just as I passed him, someone switched the boost off :(

No horrible noises, or smoke etc.....just no boost - so I think it's simply gone into limp mode. It was more than happy to cruise, so (rather than risk it not starting again on the motorway) I continued the 5miles or so left of our journey and just left it until after the meal (which was yummy thanks for asking) and........... ze boost was back. :)

I am told that "I'm sure it's done that to me recently", but apparently it wasn't worth letting me know at the time :rolleyes: :help: :banghead2

So I shall liberally spray the VNT actuator with WD40 and let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed..... :yes:

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
No idea as I don't have VagCom.

No warning lights on dash etc. :confused:

Lubed the VNT actuator earlier and took it for a blast. No problems during that run, but I'm not taking that as an indication that it's fixed yet.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
limp mode doesn't light up anything on the dash.
wd-40 can surely help but limp mode can be also triggered by a loose IC pipe [or a leak somewhere], bad vac hoses, bad N75,,,

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
my 110 had bosst problems a while ago, got the MAF changed as i thought it might be that, lucky it was under warranty cos the MAF was fine, still no boost and no power but would get up to 80 using hardly any fuel, no smoke, just took ages to get there.

turns out it was one of the vacuum hoses attached to the N75 valve, that the garage charged me £90 to reattach, cos it took them over 3hrs to find it. managed to get it reduced from £150 to £90 theiving ba****ds!

I'd check all the hoses around the valves at the back of the engine, it might just be one of them like mine was.

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Been out a couple of times now and given it plenty of "full beans" 1500rpm to 4500rpm runs. Hasn't returned, but I wouldn't describe what I have done so far as "extensive testing" :)

Thanks for the tips on "where to look next" if it goes again gents. :cheers:

prc

Sooty Meister
hi mik,
if going full out for sometime it could actually me positive boost deviation (+0.3 bar boost more than requested). Usually happens on very hot days during long runs. high boost with higher than usual intake temps will make the boost creep up over time.

Just an idea...;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members