mufflerectomy...

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
DIFT said:
So does it improve the exhaust sound of a Normal Remapped TDI such as mine? (ie no induction kit or anything)

simple answer = yes.

I had the standard exhaust with just a decat pipe and hi-flow backbox on and that sounded decent enough with my pre-remap 150hp, then when the remap was done it boooomed big time on full chatter. Now I've got just the single pipe you can hear me coming from half a mile away on full chatter. :rolleyes: :whistle:

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
So me with basically a standard 160 with Revo, the sound should fairly decent???

:D (maybe I dont need a petrol after all :think:)

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
DIFT said:
So me with basically a standard 160 with Revo, the sound should fairly decent???

:D (maybe I dont need a petrol after all :think:)

Yup - I never realised the type of map really affected it, but a straight through pipe doesn't sound bad when the map is pushing 2 bar and fuelling like a biyatch. :D

This vid has some audio, and a lot of smoke.... toward the end of the clip. 3mb

http://altarmoore.com/jason/CCOMBE2006/SMOKE4.wmv

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Cool, just need to find somewhere now that can do it, with a Cupra style tip :)

Bit of smoke there Jason!!!! lol

Last edited:

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
Jason, you got no cat either on there then. and it passes MOT's? do they not bother with the cat on diesels, and literally just do a smoke test?

i guess it would only smoke like that under load anyway, so that wouldn't be a prob.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Im going to get this done next week I reckon. Just a small bit of pipe where the back box should be, an then a Cupra style tip on the end.

Hopefully should sound better :D

(diesel cats are pretty efficient, so im leaving mine on)

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Red LCR TDI said:
Jason, you got no cat either on there then. and it passes MOT's? do they not bother with the cat on diesels, and literally just do a smoke test?

i guess it would only smoke like that under load anyway, so that wouldn't be a prob.

I wish I knew - I was fearing the worst this coming MOT due to it being its first since the full pd130 conversion and it flew through emissions, and only had minors for other things like well worn front tyres (that WAS a surprise :lol: )

But whatever gases the MOT testing machine tests for, a decatted TDI would appear to not emit them?! [B)] Also, you might notice mine only smokes under heavy load and W.O.T.... I think the MOT test is done at idle, no load, and just throttle blipped to 3500 and back (or similar?)

Oh, and a cat might be efficient, but its not as efficient as a "space" ;)

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Got quoted £120 to take the back box off with a fancy tip. Reckon I take the plunge then?

Im not going to loose any power am I? Guy at the place was a bit sceptical, saying I'd have very little back pressure, and the turbo would hardly spool up. Im sure he's wrong, but anyone want to put my mind at rest?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Dont ask me lol, i know nothing. Im going by what you boys have said. Think i'll ring him up and get it done next week :)

You ever had it done muddy?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
DIFT said:
Got quoted £120 to take the back box off with a fancy tip. Reckon I take the plunge then?

Im not going to loose any power am I? Guy at the place was a bit sceptical, saying I'd have very little back pressure, and the turbo would hardly spool up. Im sure he's wrong, but anyone want to put my mind at rest?

HE IS WRONG !

Is that clear enough ? :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
DIFT said:
Dont ask me lol, i know nothing. Im going by what you boys have said. Think i'll ring him up and get it done next week :)

You ever had it done muddy?
No, but might consider it when the silencers, sorry - mufflers - rust out and need changing on the Passat...trouble is I'm not supposed to be modding this car :D

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
the guy clearly underestands **** of engines,,,
the turbo doesn't need backpressure!!! it's the engine that needs it because of mixture flows into the cylinders,,, but in turbo cars, the restriction is the turbo itself and the engine has enough backpressure,,, I wouldn't do this to an NA car, think we all remember what happened to mk3 golf gti's when all the chavs of long time ago removed the cat,,,

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
8am tommorow its going in. Still got to decide on what tip to have. Cant wait though, hopfully the car will sound a bit more purposefull (sp?).

Annoyone else getting this done?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
prc said:
As Stew mentions there's really not alot in the change. You do get better spool-up and cooler EGTs which is a very good thing (and higher mpg).
Just picked up on this quote from earlier.

When you say it improves MPG, is this by any noticeable amount ?

I'm guessing that because the ECU overfuels to try and make the turbo spool up, if it spools quicker that means less fuel used ?

So which of the following do people reckon would give the best improvement on my Passat:
1) Decat
2) Remove middle silencer
3) Remove rear silencer

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Wheres the 4th option Muddy?
4) Remove the lot ;)

Ive just had a Mufflerectomy done on mine 3 days ago. I must say it sounds very nice - very deep and raspy, although only gets loud(ish) if you give it some welly. It barks on startup which is my favourite part :D

Turbo spoolup is definitely quicker and more aggressive, id say it does it in half the time which makes the car somewhat jerky around the city - but who cares!

I have a 53 Ibiza which has 2.25" pipe IIRC. There was only 1 silencer so i guess i only have the CAT now. I went for a 6" x 4" oval with the Cupra Bumper, which looks quite nice, but i believe this is what resonates and amplifies the noise (maybe better going for a twin if you want a quiet option).

Ill try to get some vids up of it...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
EdButler said:
Wheres the 4th option Muddy?
4) Remove the lot ;)
That inadvertently happened to me once with a Mk1 Golf.

The exhaust just fractured and broke cleanly apart, just behind the gearbox.
I tied it up so the pipe wasn't gouging along the tarmac, but by the time I'd got home, all the underseal had melted/burnt off the bottom of the bulkhead where it met the floorpan :rolleyes: Was getting a bit warm in the car too...