Whining noise from car - any ideas

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
hey peeps

getting my car checked over tonight, but thought i'd ask u lot for opinions anyway..

My car has starting "whining" when under load, but not noticable when under boost (ie, when below 0 on the boost gauge and in VAC)

Now, to describe the noise, it sounds like a motor kind of noise - but only happens when the car is moving, not on idle. It sounds like the power steering system does when u travel slowly and turn... but it happens in a straight line.

I can hear it in the car, but much louder from outside. As said though, doesnt make the noise when idling. If say I'm in gear and moving, but no foot on accl. pedal (ie engine braking) the noise is quite apparent.

Now thoughts from me could be gearbox, or a belt/starter motor or something, but those don't seem to fit the bill as it doesnt happen on idle.

Anyone got any ideas peeps? Cheers

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
gonna get it to garage in an hour or two - will post up the outcome if anyones interested......

might just be my hearing - but its definately louder noise than before the 60k service and FMIC install i had done a week or so ago.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well the noise disappeared as i drove it to the garage - must have known where i was taking it! lol

Car checked over, all running fine. Puts my mind at rest now - so long as the noise doesnt come back!

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Turbobanana's is making a noise exactly like what you described......... his disappeared and then came back, a day or so later. He is getting it checked at a garage in the morning, will let you know the outcome.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i'd have thought if it was a belt, a belt tensioner, or pulley, it'd happen all the time non stop.

Its not doing it at all now - just usual car noises. Running like a dream :)

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
My LCR does this whining noise too, and i also know Stretch79 has this as well, dont know what it is thou, never seems to cause any trouble, so would be interesting to find out what the cause is....

gazjones

i know sometimes a can hear the gear box whinning in low gears might be that!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
air con is usually off - didnt really try it with it switched on, other than at idle.

Glad I'm not the only one then.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
yes thanks steve, i kinda guessed that bit! Trying to narrow down which one it is, or what it is that made it happen! :bleh: